none
Quicktime Stopped Working Recently

Question

• Hello,

I'm on Win7 64-bit Home Premium upgraded from Vista.

I recently (February, 2010-ish) have not been able to open any media files in my Quicktime Player.  I am assuming it is due to an update in WMP but can't be certain.

I get an 1856 error in quicktime when trying to open .mov and .avi files.

I have repeatedly uninstalled and re-installed quicktime and Apple companion programs with no luck.  I looked at recently-installed programs and they were 3ivx and ffdshow, which I believe are related to WMP.  Perhaps there is compatibility issue with these?

I understand WMP now plays H264 but I prefer to use Quicktime since I am able to edit clips with QTPro.

Thanks!

Monday, March 01, 2010 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the exact error message? What is the version of Quicktime? It is suggested to install the latest version 7.

The error which you are seeing is the result of a bad installation file or registry. Try the following to check the result first.

1. Fully uninstall QuickTime
    2. Download the K-lite Codec pack (I downloaded the full version here http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm)
    3. Install it and accept its changes it will make
    4. Once K-lite is installed, now you can re-install QuickTime

If you are not using WMP, system restore or you can turn off WMP from control panel->programs->turn off windows feature as a test.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:59 AM
  • It is due to Apple side. You can simply search and find many posts about 1856 error of QuickTime on Apple forums. Please contact Apple for solutions. Here are some references:

Topic : error-1856 encountered when playing .mov files using windows 7

Quicktime Error 1856

Please note: we provide the 3rd party links for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, March 08, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What is the exact error message? What is the version of Quicktime? It is suggested to install the latest version 7.

The error which you are seeing is the result of a bad installation file or registry. Try the following to check the result first.

1. Fully uninstall QuickTime
    2. Download the K-lite Codec pack (I downloaded the full version here http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm)
    3. Install it and accept its changes it will make
    4. Once K-lite is installed, now you can re-install QuickTime

If you are not using WMP, system restore or you can turn off WMP from control panel->programs->turn off windows feature as a test.

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:59 AM
  • It is due to Apple side. You can simply search and find many posts about 1856 error of QuickTime on Apple forums. Please contact Apple for solutions. Here are some references:

Topic : error-1856 encountered when playing .mov files using windows 7

Quicktime Error 1856

Please note: we provide the 3rd party links for technical use only. There may be some changes without notice, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any accuracy on contacting information.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, March 08, 2010 7:35 AM