none
Windows Search and pooled VDI Clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

The management of our customer want to use necessarily the Windows Search on floating VDI Clients. What’s the best way in your opinion to enable this? The Search Index (Database) will be computer-based and should not be generated after each pooled machine creation. Is there a way, to cache this on a central location? What is the best practice for VDI environments in this case? Is there an supported way?

Best Regards, Daniel

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your post.

Before go ahead, please help to clarify following questions:

I have 2 understandings, please let me know which one is what you want:

1. You would like to use Windows search on local computer, which host the VDI clients, to index the information in virtual hard drive of VDI clients.
    2. You would like to centralize and save the index information of all VDI clients onto some location.

If I am wrong, please help to correct, and let me know more detailed information about what you want to do.

Thanks very much and look forward to your response.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply.

My Goal is to enable the Windows Search for Personal Data, Network Drives and Programs on pooled / floationg VDI Clients without Performance issues on the infrastructure. (2000 VDI Desktops)

I want to prevent, that the index is running on every machine Startup. (Disk I/O)

The Index-Data are every time the same (Network drives / Profile Data / Offline Folders).

On pooled / floating VDI Clients, I don't have local Data... so I would like to roam, centralize or redirect the Index Database per user.

I hope I could explain my Situation

Thanks, Daniel

Monday, August 5, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Here i share some links to configure Windows research with group policy for your reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744697(v=ws.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734539(v=WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744686(v=WS.10).aspx

Hopte this helpful.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. 

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:43 AM
  • This is a typically useless answer that does not address the actual question.

He wasn't asking how to set search index on in a shared environment. He was asking what is BEST PRACTICE about enabling Windows Search in a VDI environment. Should it be done? If it can be done, how to keep per-user indexes in a centralised location?

My reading from the Citrix side of things is that it is very much deprecated. However, email users in particular complain that Outlook can't be searched efficiently without Windows Search (who can blame them)?

Is Microsoft giving any thought to making the search index location configurable per-user?

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:01 AM