none
Unexpected I/O Error

Question

• I am getting an error code of 0Xc00000e9.  Unexpected I/O error has occurred.

My setup is an ABIT NF-95 MB  with AMD 64 3800+

I have 1GB of Ram

2- seagate 250 gb SATA Raid drive  (RAID 1)

1 DVD RW

I have ended up recreating the RAID drives and trying to install fresh from the DVD.

I would appreciate any help as I have reached my limit of activations on my XP pro CDs and I am sure the call center people know me by first name basis by now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Bergovoy

Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:46 AM

All replies

• Bill,

As posted in previous threads we have seen issues with AMD 64 bit processor and SATA drives.. When exactly are you getting the error message of Unexpected I/0 are you getting it as soon as the DVD starts the install or at some point there after. Please let me know.. Might be able to help you out w/ some of the issues I have some along the same line.

Chris S.

Sunday, September 17, 2006 3:00 AM
  • WOW,  I am impressed with a reply soo quickly after I posted...

I have been reading through the many messages here about that.

I get the error shortly after the disc starts loading files, (about 30%).

I have just finished unmounting the raid drives and trying to install onto one of the SATA drives.  That did not work either.

I then switched CD / DVD drives, and that caused a different problem.  After I switched DVD drives, the Vista install disc was not found.  I am thinking that my RC1 install disc is corrupt.  And if it is the DVD writer drive that is failing somehow, then I am screwed as the computer I am on right now, does not have a dvd burner.

UGGGH

Sunday, September 17, 2006 3:23 AM
  • Hello,

I went ahead and reinstalled XP pro and then tried installing Vista from within XP, only to get about 90% before I got the following error message, 0x80070017

From what I can tell, I guess the ISO and the burned copy is just not what it should be.  I have tried to re-download a new copy of the ISO file but have exceeded my product key limit.  I have tried to re-burn the DVD but just keep wasting time as I can not get another disc to burn and verify, and have wasted 5 discs now. 

Sure wish I could get Vista up and running, but I guess my calling on this go around is to be fodder for the tech gurus to trouble shoot it for the TEAM

Now I just have to cross my fingers again and hope I can get XP to activate  ONE MORE TIME

Bill B

Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:39 AM
  • Bill,

I see you are still having the issue with the SATA drivers, even after unmounting the Raid you are getting the same issue. Which RAID Firmware/Vendor is on your MB or are you using and add on RAID controller.. Another thing you might want to try. If you have a PATA HDD laying around. Try put that into your machine disconnecting all SATA drivers and install from the DVD to the PATA drive after Vista installs and all is ok, replug in your SATA drivers and see what happens.. I have had the same issues with SATA and decieded Vista is more happy on a 40GB WD 10K PATA HDD. This is the only PATA drive I have in my machine everything else is SATA other than my DVD R/W and floppy of course... Let me know. .

Chris

Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:32 PM
  • Chris,

I was using the onboard nvraid drivers, then I added a SIIG raid controller, and had the same problems.

I ended up installing XP pro and then using ISO Buster and installing straight from the ISO file and all went okay.

I still think the problem was the burning of the ISO file to the dvd burner.  Not sure how or why the burn process seems so finicky, but from looking at a lot of the messages here, it is definately problematic.

I have dual booted on seperate partitions, but do not like how I did not reserve the drive D, and now Vista is on Drive E.  I had a little problem installing a couple fo drivers as they defaulted to C: and I forgot to check.

I am having a little problem now with Media player 11, as it crashes everytime I tab over to some other funtion or window.  I will problably uninstall and reinstall it tomorrow.

I forgot how little support there is out there for the beta drivers.  And was anxious to get rid of XP64 as there were no drivers out there for that OS.  (And for the life of me, I can not figure out why there is no drivers for an OS that is more than a year old in the public market.)

I just finished updating all the updates I could find. and now, I am just now installing some of my stuff, and Office programs now, and look forward to getting a TV tuner card to check out media center and the other features I have never played with before.

I am surprised at how difficult it was to install this program, but this is my first time with a beta and RC1 program.

Thanks for your help, I will look forward to hearing more questions and messages from users that want thier product key...

Bill

Monday, September 18, 2006 1:50 AM
  • Bill,

I am glad that you finally got RC1 up and running, yeah there are still some bugs that need to get worked out but they seem to be working on it and playing an active role in the forums looks and asking questions to our problems. I also have a SIIG Raid Controller and that is what was giving me some issues.. But I did finally find out during the clean install if I loading the SIIG drivers for XP in the "install drivers" button in installation that all went well still didn't like me running raid on the Vista install though so went to PATA as mentioned before.. and Media Center is really nice.. I have half a mind to install it on my shuttle which is the focal point to my living room ET center for media, Tivo like functions and etc. You get really lazy when you can sit in the living room and surf the web w/ a wireless keyboard.

Chris.

Monday, September 18, 2006 2:05 PM
  • I am having the same problem everyone seems to think its the harddrive.  but what I can find on microsoft that is not what it is please help please reply to my email  as well as here thank you

doree_02721@yahoo.com

Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

sorry my email was listed wrong it should be doreen_02721@yahoo.com
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Some problem.

0Xc00000e9. Unexpected I/O error has occurred.

No boot OS, no repair, no boot from CD :(

Yes, AMD 64/sata

Need help.

• Proposed as answer by mnogo Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:38 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:38 PM
  • I am getting an error code of 0Xc00000e9.  Unexpected I/O error has occurred.

My setup is an ABIT NF-95 MB  with AMD 64 3800+

I have 1GB of Ram

2- seagate 250 gb SATA Raid drive  (RAID 1)

1 DVD RW

I have ended up recreating the RAID drives and trying to install fresh from the DVD.

I would appreciate any help as I have reached my limit of activations on my XP pro CDs and I am sure the call center people know me by first name basis by now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill Bergovoy

• Edited by dz7945ph Sunday, January 01, 2012 11:37 PM
    Sunday, January 01, 2012 11:36 PM