none
Since 23/7/2013 i can only see 2 other pc's on my network RRS feed

• Question

• HI, please help. I have two separate networks at two separate locations with the same issue.
    Case 1:13 pc's, 8 are running Win7 Pro, 8 are running Win XP pro, one Win7 machine acts as a file server and all have access to it and all has been fine for about 1 year now. As of Tuesday past, just 1 of the Win7 pc's can only see 2 other pc's, it still has internet, and i can ping the other machines, but i cant see them and cant reconnect my mapped drives. I have tried system restore, i have looked at all the ip settings and all are as they have been. disabled the firewall, still no joy.
    Case 2: 7 pc's mix of win7, win 8 and XP, all was visible to all, now only the 2 Win8 machines and the one win7 machine can see each other, the rest can see everything.
    Friday, July 26, 2013 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From your post, I understand that you encounter similar issues in 2 separated networks. Since there are differences between these 2 networks, I suggest we troubleshoot issues on them one by one to avoid conflict and confusion.

Let’s check the case 1. In this situation, only one Windows 7 PC had problems to see others except two of them and connect to the mapped drives. You have tried to perform system restore, check the IP settings, and disable firewall, but to no avail.

Would you please also help me to clarify following questions:
    1.       Did all other computers can see this problematic one?
    2.       Would you please try if we can access other computers by using \\computer_name in Windows explorer?

At current situation, please try troubleshooting steps in this article:
    Why are computers missing from the network map?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/why-are-computers-missing-from-the-network-map 

Hope these can be helpful and keep post.

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, July 29, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi StarSprite

1. Yes all the other computers can see this one.

2. I can access that way, and then the mapped drive becomes available, till next reboot then all not working again. This is a laptop that goes home every night.

I have done everything as per the link you sent, still nothing.

Thanks for the help

\

Kelvin

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Did you check the network location? If it's set to Public, this issue is very likely to happen.

Also, note that if any of these computers are installed with a VPN network/adapter or any virtualising platform that supports networking, that network must also be set to Home/Work to enable sharing. If more than one network adapter is active and that in any of the adapters the network is set to Public, the issue will occur.

Balaji Kundalam

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TSModerator Friday, August 2, 2013 12:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kellynct Friday, August 2, 2013 1:47 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:00 PM
  • None are set as Public, and as i have said, this network has been working for a number of years before with no such problem
    Friday, August 2, 2013 1:49 PM
  • About VPN?

Balaji Kundalam

Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:56 AM
  • NO VPN, never had one, no need for one
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 4:42 AM