none
Logitech MX510 Mouse Bug

Question

• Really strange issue with a Logitech mouse, not even sure how to accurately describe the problem.

I'm using a Logitech MX510 mouse. After starting the computer the pointer and right-click button on the mouse work, and the left click button can't be used to click anything (e.g. selecting windows, selecting menus, clicking the start menu, clicking dialogs within windows, etc.) The scroll wheel does work if pointed in a window that has been highlighted by alt-tab. The left click is registering: if I open up a right-click menu (by right-clicking the Desktop) I can dismiss by left-clicking the Desktop. All the drivers seem to be up to date and working, as far as I can tell.

After allowing the system to run and using the keyboard to navigate for some time, the mouse buttons will begin to work, but sometimes only on some applications (the mouse is fully functional in this Firefox window right now, but can't be used to make my mail client window active or move it around; it also can't be used to click icons in the task bar or quick start bar, or select the start menu). Some new windows can be clicked, others can't.

To add more of a quirky nature to the bug, if I log out, both buttons work on the log-in screen (I can use ths left-click to select the field, and use it to click the power options in the lower-left corner).

If I plug this mouse into another computer (not running Windows7) it functions perfectly normally. After initially installing the Beta, the mouse functioned the same way, and then suddenly started working completely, until a later reboot. This problem is completely replicatable by rebooting my system.

I don't even have an idea of how to debug what's happening with the mouse. Any info or ideas on how to determine the problem would be more than welcome. I've been playing around with it for about 2 hours now trying to find some way to make it work.

I've tried: removing the HID-Compliant device from the Device Manager and allow it to be re-installed, installed updates from Windows Update, installed Logitech's SetPoint software, went into the Mouse properties and changed options to see if that would reset the mouse. Nothing seems to work at all, same behavior throughout.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:49 AM

Answers

• When your in device manager you've tried removing the HID compliant device, however if you scroll down to your usb controllers, there will probably be a usb composite device there. This is also normally related to your mouse, and deleting that then rescanning for hardware can sometimes resolve issues. 

Ihad a similar issue yesterday, mouse stopped moving, but all buttons would work. I spent 2 hours uninstalling and re-installing usb devices and ports and software, with no joy, then formatted and re-installed 7 in case it was a bug there. Still no joy, contacted Logitech this morning, and they confirmed that the mouse is in fact dead, the laser unit had died. Even though the rest of the unit was still functional.

However you have managed to prove that all the hhardware is still functioning, so it has to be either drivers or software of some form. Have you checked to make sure you havent picked up a virus or some other form of malware?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:48 AM
  • is the 510 one of the wireless models? if it is a couple of random ideas, try changing batteries, moving the mouse closer to the receiver to see if that has an effect, also try running the reconnect to receiver, cant fully remember it of the top of my head, but it was something like hold down the power button underneath and the right mouse button at same time then click left mouse button 5 times. I may have got the buttons the wrong way round there,  as if leaving it for a while solves the issue then normally a wireless mouse powers itself down when not in use, and reconnects when it starts being used again.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:07 AM

All replies

• When your in device manager you've tried removing the HID compliant device, however if you scroll down to your usb controllers, there will probably be a usb composite device there. This is also normally related to your mouse, and deleting that then rescanning for hardware can sometimes resolve issues. 

Ihad a similar issue yesterday, mouse stopped moving, but all buttons would work. I spent 2 hours uninstalling and re-installing usb devices and ports and software, with no joy, then formatted and re-installed 7 in case it was a bug there. Still no joy, contacted Logitech this morning, and they confirmed that the mouse is in fact dead, the laser unit had died. Even though the rest of the unit was still functional.

However you have managed to prove that all the hhardware is still functioning, so it has to be either drivers or software of some form. Have you checked to make sure you havent picked up a virus or some other form of malware?
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Sanginius. I haven't tried removing the usb composite device (didn't realize that was there) so I'll try removing that and then post the results.

Definitely not a malware/virus, though. The issue happened first immediately after the OS install, initially I thought it was a driver issue and then the problem resolved itself. The install's only a day old and I haven't installed anything except essentials (browser, mail client, antivirus,  updates, etc.) and the issue only occurs now after a reboot. And, just like the first time, if I just leave the computer on the problem resolves itself after a few hours (I have no idea what causes the problem to go away, the mouse just starts working as normal, no interaction from me).

Thanks for the idea, I'll post again with what I find.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:55 AM
  • is the 510 one of the wireless models? if it is a couple of random ideas, try changing batteries, moving the mouse closer to the receiver to see if that has an effect, also try running the reconnect to receiver, cant fully remember it of the top of my head, but it was something like hold down the power button underneath and the right mouse button at same time then click left mouse button 5 times. I may have got the buttons the wrong way round there,  as if leaving it for a while solves the issue then normally a wireless mouse powers itself down when not in use, and reconnects when it starts being used again.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:07 AM
  • Hi, do you still have this issue? I have the same issue, if you resolved it, can you tell me how?
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:48 AM