none
Setting OWA as the Default Email "Program" in Windows

Question

• Hello All,

I know OWA is not a program and I do not have an option to choose OWA within Windows as the default email program. I have been doing some research and tried the suggestions from other posts. I was able to find a script from another post and use that script to open OWA using IE or Chrome when clicking on "mailto:myemailaddress". 

But our goal is for our users to be able to view images in Windows Photo Viewer and then within Windows Photo Viewer, to be able to choose "Email" and then "Attach Files" option in order to forward on those images with our internal email. We would like OWA to open up at this point so the users can streamline their workflow within Windows Photo Viewer. 

From what I have been reading this might only be possible with changing the registry. I tried the following Reg file but this did not help in my case. 

"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\OWA]
    @="Outlook Web Access"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\OWA\shell\open\command]
    @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe\" https://ourOWAwebsiteurl"

"

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

thank you,

Brian

Friday, May 17, 2019 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

I'm not sure you can configure OWA to do this, since OWA isn't an email client, it is a website. Please try the following steps for a test:

1.  Launch Internet Explorer and click "Tools" in the top toolbar, then click "Internet Options." Internet Options is the control center for Internet Explorer and lets users customize their browsing experience and control data and security.

2. Click the "Programs" tab in the "Internet Options" window. A page should open with multiple drop-down boxes, under the banner "Internet Programs." This page allows users to choose which programs open particular types of files.

3. Click the drop-down arrow next to "E-mail" and select "Microsoft Outlook Web Access." Click "Apply," then click "OK." Close Internet Explorer to finalize the changes.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 7:43 AM
  • thank you for the suggestion Hurry. I had checked that before as well and I do not have OWA as an option in the default email dropdown list. Let me know if you find another way, or even another photo viewer app that allows a user to choose OWA as it's default. I know the app would have to override the windows setting, but I do not know of an app with this capability. I am researching this too.

Sincerely,

Brian

Monday, May 20, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm afraid that you can't do. But I will try my best to look into.

Sincerely hope the problem will be solved successfully.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 24, 2019 1:17 AM
  • So far I am still searching. thank you for the follow-up Hurry. Hopefully I will come across some sort of fix.

Brian

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will accompany with you until the problem is solved successfully.

If I have the latest progress, I will contact you in time.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 30, 2019 8:57 AM