none
jumplist not working properly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an annoying issue with jumplists in Win7 Home Premium. When I left click on the alternative commands related to Skype, MSN, Windows media player or any other program which supports jumplists, it just opens up my system32 folder and doesn's perform the intended command. To make myself clearer, this happens for example when I click on "play all" after right clicking over the media player icon, or when I try to close skype from the taskbar jumplist. This happens no matter if i use a preinstalled program or a newly installed one. Reinstallation of affected programs doesn't solve the issue. Deleting files in:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

does not solve the issue. Starting with clean boot doesn't solve the issue.

One thing that I did was relocating the users folder to my D: partition using Profile Relocator. But still I don't understand why even newly created users are affected by the issue.

Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi nemo82,

According to your description, it seems relocating the user folder using Profile Relocator is the cause.

You can try restore the profile to the default location and see if the issue can be resolved.

Also, you can refer to this knowledge base (KB) article: Relocation of the Users directory and the ProgramData directory to a disk drive other than the disk drive that contains the Windows directory on a Windows Vista-based or a Windows Server 2008-based computer

Friday, May 7, 2010 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 put all system data and user data on the same partition, by default it’s drive C. We must backup our user data every time we re-install our windows 7. Once relocated the user profile, you need a build-in tool called mklink to creat a symbolic link from the original location to the new one. Take the following as an example:

from C:\Users\Test to D:Users\Test

Click the Start button,type CMD in the Search box, press ENTER. In the prompt windows, type

mklink /D C:\Users\Test D:\Users\Test

Then press ENTER

The following sentence will displayed next line:

symbolic link created for C:\Users\Test<<--->> D:\Users\Test

Try it. At the same time, I would like to know which profile relocator software did you use. Normally, they will add the following statement:

"The best time to use Profile Relocator is after a fresh install of Windows when moving empty profiles poses minimal risk and the least chance of conflicts".

Regards, Magon
    Friday, May 7, 2010 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 put all system data and user data on the same partition, by default it’s drive C. We must backup our user data every time we re-install our windows 7. Once relocated the user profile, you need a build-in tool called mklink to creat a symbolic link from the original location to the new one. Take the following as an example:

from C:\Users\Test to D:Users\Test

Click the Start button,type CMD in the Search box, press ENTER. In the prompt windows, type

mklink /D C:\Users\Test D:\Users\Test

Then press ENTER

The following sentence will displayed next line:

symbolic link created for C:\Users\Test<<--->> D:\Users\Test

Try it. At the same time, I would like to know which profile relocator software did you use. Normally, they will add the following statement:

"The best time to use Profile Relocator is after a fresh install of Windows when moving empty profiles poses minimal risk and the least chance of conflicts".

Regards, Magon
    I tried your solution but didn't work. I have yet to try the more radical solution (restore the user folder to the default partition), the thing is i'm not really sure that was the cause because I used Profile Relocator on a new pc almost immediately after the first start. Basically, that the issue was caused by me moving the users folder is just a guess. I was wondering if there have been any similar issues with other Windows 7 users. As soon as I can I will try to move back the users folder to see if that really is the cause.
    Sunday, May 9, 2010 5:13 PM