none
USMT and Appdata RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

About the end user experience, I Believe its important to make sure a user get what he had before a reinstall. With USMT, many things are absent and most of these informations are Under appdata.

What is best:

1. All appdata

2. Roaming only?

3. Roaming and local

4. Only specific software detail in a custom.xml?

Actually we are still with Windows 8.1 and Moving to Windows 10 in a year...

Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:03 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

I think the follow thread might be useful for you. Please refer the marked answer and check on your side.

USMT XML To Include All AppData

For local data in appdata, please check the following link:

USMT for AppData\Local\*

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

As Carl's suggestion in the reference thread, 

Unless you have a very specific use case, I personally wouldn't bother migrating App Data, only some applications will work gracefully by moving it and honestly a lot of it just isn't useful. Move Documents, Downloads, Desktop, Photos and Pictures into the new profile.

We just provide the migration measure and information about possible bad condition to you, but whether migrate or not, depending your needs in the existing status. 

Bests,  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by FRacine Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:18 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:18 AM

All replies

• USMT Best Practices

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Sunday, October 13, 2019 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

I already read that and found Nothing excluding appdata/Roaming/Local.

Thanks,

Sunday, October 13, 2019 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

We could refer the following link to check USMT migration contents which contains what could be migrated and what couldn't be migrate. 

What does USMT migrate?

Bests, 

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:23 AM
  • HI,

I already read that document. Does peoples migrate the whole Appdata? Onlu Appdata\roaming? What about appdata\local?

Thanks,

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Hi, 

I think the follow thread might be useful for you. Please refer the marked answer and check on your side.

USMT XML To Include All AppData

For local data in appdata, please check the following link:

USMT for AppData\Local\*

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Bests,

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:22 AM
  • Hi,

So what MS is suggesting there are no issue to backup the whole Appdata?

Thanks,

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

As Carl's suggestion in the reference thread, 

Unless you have a very specific use case, I personally wouldn't bother migrating App Data, only some applications will work gracefully by moving it and honestly a lot of it just isn't useful. Move Documents, Downloads, Desktop, Photos and Pictures into the new profile.

We just provide the migration measure and information about possible bad condition to you, but whether migrate or not, depending your needs in the existing status. 

Bests,  

• Marked as answer by FRacine Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:18 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,
    Joy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

I choosed to take the whole appdata\roaming and specific folder Under appdata\local.

Thanks,

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 10:20 AM