none
Windows 7 Memory Usage

Question

• Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums. Just want to say that I really hated windows vista. Was very slow and inefficient. I really do like windows 7 much better. It actually uses less system resources and has a less toll on my system (vostro 1500 btw).

Is there a way though, to make windows 7 use less memory. I've been using Linux for a while and it uses half as much memory for more "eye candy" and gives me the same or even better speed than windows 7. Can I tweak windows 7  to allow me to do the same. I understand that the OS actually caches on the memory so the more you have the better it is. But in KDE I find that after hours of usage, I have used only 1.5Gb of memory. In fact Windows 7 uses 600MB on boot and uses nearly 2 GB after a few minutes. I use the PC on both linux an windows just for stream youtube, browsing, email and the occasional game. I don't see why Windows 7 has to use so much.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:19 PM

Answers

• The good operating system must use all available memory. Free memory -> wasted money to buy it.
    So Windows aggressively use memory for caching and for SuperFetch but release memory if it is need for a programs.
    I do not recommend minding about memory using, just is it enough RAM for your tasks or not.

• Marked as answer by axfelix Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:44 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:51 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The good operating system must use all available memory. Free memory -> wasted money to buy it.
    So Windows aggressively use memory for caching and for SuperFetch but release memory if it is need for a programs.
    I do not recommend minding about memory using, just is it enough RAM for your tasks or not.

• Marked as answer by axfelix Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:44 PM
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:51 AM
    Answerer
  • Its's very interesting what you just said, may be Windows reports memory usage for both memory used and memory cached, the diference with Linux is that Linux tell you how much memory is in real used and how much is cached, both operating systems use cached memory, but defenitly Linux due to it's core and swap "partition" has a little better performance than vista (I have tried both openning many programs at the same time).

Windows 7, seems to be fixxing those old problems, I happend to have application that (due to a bug in vista) literaly eat all memory.

I look with good eyes windows se7en, I hope it bacame all it was said, Even, It was false the rumor that it were made from scratch, it seems more like they "finish" windows Vista.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:38 PM
  • AFAIK, there were two Windows made from scratch: Windows NT (3.1), the first NT could not have predecessors, and Windows 3.0 because some decisions made in Win 2.x was found not  good enough. Than there were a progress. Is it no need to throw out well tested base code. As an example, several years ago I found a bug in Win2003 and the buggy code was tracked back up to NT 3.51 where it was added to the OS. )
    Calculating a memory used by program and processes is a hard task because of numerous reusing common libraries by numerous processes. Common counters can show only approximated values.
    The cached data often ARE in use so it would be correct to add them to a total program memory I believe. But this can make a counting just more complex problem.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Sabbyman,

There were many reasons why Microsoft designed Windwos 7RC the way they did. For more information head on over to Microsoft Springboard to find out some helpful tips and tricks.

http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Jessica
    Microsoft TechNet / Springboard

Monday, June 01, 2009 8:21 PM
  • I must say that I was totally surprised by the speedboost of Windows 7 RC. Though I only ran it on a laptop with VirtualPC, the response was still incredible. What I am afraid of that it is only when you have a clean install. Because also XP responses good with fresh install, but after a while computer runs slower and slower. I hope this issue has been solved with windows 7.

www.khuddam.no
    Monday, June 01, 2009 8:42 PM
  • I also, hope that the "slower and slower" issue becomes fixed, since other operating systems don't have that issue and can do a boot load in 30 secs or less with the desktop full loaded and ready to use..., I have Win 7 + Linux Ubuntu 9.04 in my laptop and loads in 32 secs, I haven't time win 7.

Microsoft is a big company that must show his knowledge and experience in this aspects, it's shameful that our windows O.S. becomes slower and slower while other O.S.'s keep running almost the same way it was when fresh installed for the first time.

Win 7 has a good feel and look (some people say looks like KDE 4) but the most important is the fact that it remains that way, above all, in speed....

Greetings.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:25 PM
  • AndresCS, the Windows became faster and faster not slower and slower. Of cource, performance increasing is relatively small (5-10 % or so) but it IS.
    Boot time and performance does not have direct correlation. Often faster boot means less user's productivity. Which is better: to load all needed modules during long boot and use them when needed or fast boot and waiting modules loading during working process?

Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry Igor, may be MKA and I were not enough clear...

We din't mean that every new version became slower, but one single version a long as you use it becomes slower and slower, for fragmentation, register problems, etc. etc. I think MKA ment the same, sorry if not.

And I do belive that code can be improved so it became faster, I know since I do program, definetly in Windows that's true too, although it takes advantage of new hardware (Office 2003 open faster and calculates faster in single core than Office 2007, but 2007 can win with a dual2core, etc. Also I remember that Windows 95 Open in less than a secong the explorer when using keys Win+E before I rised my finger from "E" key the windows loaded with all it's content, but in the same computer win 98 took a few seconds, definetly windows explorer both had very diferent functions).

Definitly we want new windows to be faster, not in boot time or shutdown, but in normal use and that it can last several years without reinstalling, now I'm thalking for several user I know and work with.

Thanks Igor for commenting this since our comments could lead to misunderstood other people.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 9:18 PM
  • AndresCS, fragmentation may be significantly decreased by defragmenter and it's (fragmentation) danger is  exagerrated in modern OS and modern harware. Widows rarely reads data or programs using large blocks, mostly lots of relatively small reads are used. and very often these reads are from different disk regions so the main problem is moving hard drive heads.
    Please, run "fsutil fsinfo statistics c:" and calculate an average size of one disk reading.
    Regarding slowing down system over years by itself - I never noticed it.   Few weeks ago I throw out my 10 years old PIII-667 computer with 256 RAM. I did not made a clean reinstall since June 2000 - just make upgrades. WinMe -> Whistler betas -> WinXP final -> SP1 -> SP2. During beta-testing I've installed fresh systems at other partitions but never seen the speed difference with _a_same_list_of_programs.
    Last few years it was a daughter's computer and (yes!) she said that it became slower and slower. But quick analysis showed the reason is an increasing number of program installed and in newer versions of the programs so they required more and more and more RAM. Just removing some programs and IE add-ons increased performance significantly .
    So the correct comparison must be not between fresh installed and old system ut between systems with exactly same software list. But I've never saw such tests.
    "My eyes see the difference" is not good argument unfortunately.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:14 AM
    Answerer
  • Wow ! Amazing...

Thanks for sharing this, now I know why Windows becomes slower, As I understood ti's because We install much programs and Windows pre-load modules so programs start faster and then since we have many programs Windows can go slower..., correct me if I'm wrong.

May be that's why other O.S. start faster but programs take longer to load, but don't saturate memory with modules since those O.S. don't preload modules to start programs faster evendo they have much programs installed.

With your info now I know how not to make slower windows.

Thanks, your are very helpful, you should work with MS.  :)
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:11 PM
  • Glad to be helpful.
    Really there are only two ways to speed up Windows - to add a memory or to remove unused programs or add-ons.
    A lot of programs attach there modules to Windows shell - not for memory consumption of course but for user comfort so he could make something with one or two clicks. Unfortunately sometimes such attachment may by slightly aggressive. :(
    You may download the Process Explorer and look how many programs embed their modules into Explorer process.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:27 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello Mr. Leyko (or Igor if you prefer)

I have stumbled on this forum (well, I found it doing a Google search - apparently Bing didn't point me towards the Microsoft forum). Anyway, here's why I registered.

I have to mention I've got no clue about programming and stuff, whatever I learned I did it the hard way - messing up and then trying to fix things.

I recently bought a great notebook (which had Win 7 Home Premium pre-installed on it). (Specs: Core i7, 8GB DDR3 @1333, nVidia GTX 460 1.5GB DDR5, 500GB HDD - it's a gaming rig). The question: how come it gobbles up so much of my memory?

Right now I only have Firefox opened with only 4 tabs and the task manager shows it consumes a whopping: 7100MB of memory !!!???

Given your answer, I thought you'd be the best qualified to help me. It's way too much RAM taking into consideration that I'm not running anything.

Any ideas? Btw, I also checked for viruses and malware - nothing found.

Thanks in advance!

Economist, nerd, social media evangelist, science & technology geek.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Please look how many  megabytes "Free memory" program manager shows. And open a resourse monitor, select Memory tab and mark for viewing all memory related columns. I suppose you'll see the program who "eat" memory.

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Please download RAMMap [1][2] and run it when you have the high Memory usage. Now save the data as a RMP file. Zip the RMP file and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [3] and post a link here.

With the file I can show you in detail how Windows uses the RAM.

André

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx
    [2] http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2010/08/13/introduction-to-the-new-sysinternals-tool-rammap.aspx
    [3] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, February 28, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Hi, thanks for the intel, guys!

I'll do that the next time the pc will start acting all weird and stuff, I restarted it after seeing how much memory ate and the usage decreased to let's say, more normal levels, somewhere around 2gb. (I think it's normal for such a machine)

But next time it will go all berserk I promise I'll upload the RAMMap files.

Btw, I can tell you what was eating the memory, SVCHOST - there were two who ate more, one was going for 2gb and the other for 1.5...strange, always hated svchost file.

I used to run a hacked win xp (by some Russian guys) it ran flawlessly for 5 yrs without any reinstall needed. (That's a performance!) and there, almost always I would close like all svchost files except one and the OS would still run.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

And an off-topic if I may: what do you guys know about SharePoint 2010? I'm using it at work for running the company's internal social network. But in my opinion it's a very clumsy program.

Any tips on how it can be improved? Or what features can be added to it to make more "user friendly"? Or if you can "point" to a thread or website that explains the subtleties of SharePoint 2010 for a layman like me? Much appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!!! (will be back if Windows starts chewing up my memory again)

Monday, February 28, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Btw, I can tell you what was eating the memory, SVCHOST - there were two who ate more, one was going for 2gb and the other for 1.5...strange, always hated svchost file.

If you think so, please download VMMap [1], run it and select the svchost.exe which has the largest Working Set. Now save the data as a mmp file. Zip the mmp file and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [2] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd535533.aspx
    [2] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, February 28, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Wow, this is awesome! I found some progs that were chewing my rams :)

Got and removed a couple and now the memory is sort of saying at an all time low.

By the way, I have another issue, this time with something else Microsoft related. I have to sort out some lists and was wondering how can I do it faster.

Let me explain: I was given an excel file with a "bunch" of alphanumeric usernames (i.e. C1020E01) and another that contains similar usernames: what I have to do is par the lists and find which usernames are found in both and which aren't. How can I sort them out faster? If it was a couple hundred if would've been easy, but the total is somewhere around 58000 for the main excel list and a few other thousands in the other one.

Can excel do this? Or is there another software?

Can you help me with this or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!!!

Monday, March 21, 2011 8:24 PM