none
ForestDNSZones and DomainDNSZones have wrong infrastructure role record

Question

• I posted this question in another forum and was suggested to post here:

Am receiving this error on my DC's: AD Replication Monitoring : encountered a runtime error.
    Failed to obtain the InfrastructureMaster using a well known GUID.
    The error returned was: 'Failed to get the 'fSMORoleOwner'

I was able to determine that the ForestDNSZones infrastructure record was pointing to an old retired DC (using ADSI edit).  However, when I do a netcom query fsmo, it shows the correct Infrastructure FSMO holder.

How do I correct this in the ForestDNSZones.  System is Windows Server 2003.

Thanks

• Edited by IlyaD Friday, January 13, 2012 6:23 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• netdom query fsmo command does not show the infrastructure master for Forest and DNS domain zones and other application partitions. They are separate from AD infrastructure master.

To correct the infrastructure master for application partitions do the following (change DC=yourdomain,DC=tld to your domain name)

To transfer the infrastructure master for application partitions:

Open ADSIEdit. Connect to the server you want to transfer the roles to (it is important, otherwise you'll get an error).

For domain DNS zones:

Connect to DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=yourdomain,DC=tld

Open the properties of the object CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=yourdomain,DC=tld

Change the attribute fSMORoleOwner to CN=NTDSSettings,CN=Name_of_DC,CN=Servers,CN=DRSite,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=Yourdomain,DC=TLD

For forest DNS zones

Connect to DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=yourdomain,DC=tld and do the same.

Same for any other application partitions if they exist.

• Marked as answer by IlyaD Friday, January 13, 2012 6:28 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 5:33 PM
  • hi

follow the article on how to change the role holders

http://www.more2know.nl/2011/04/

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:00 PM

All replies

• netdom query fsmo command does not show the infrastructure master for Forest and DNS domain zones and other application partitions. They are separate from AD infrastructure master.

To correct the infrastructure master for application partitions do the following (change DC=yourdomain,DC=tld to your domain name)

To transfer the infrastructure master for application partitions:

Open ADSIEdit. Connect to the server you want to transfer the roles to (it is important, otherwise you'll get an error).

For domain DNS zones:

Connect to DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=yourdomain,DC=tld

Open the properties of the object CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=yourdomain,DC=tld

Change the attribute fSMORoleOwner to CN=NTDSSettings,CN=Name_of_DC,CN=Servers,CN=DRSite,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=Yourdomain,DC=TLD

For forest DNS zones

Connect to DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=yourdomain,DC=tld and do the same.

Same for any other application partitions if they exist.

Friday, January 13, 2012 5:33 PM
  • hi

follow the article on how to change the role holders

http://www.more2know.nl/2011/04/

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hello,

please check out http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949257 and the included script.

BTW: Your link isn't complete, Page not found error.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Thanks to all! 

Meinolf: Removed broken link.  Thanks.  I found your link in my search, however it specifies Server 2008 and I am talking about 2003 that is why I did not use it.

Will make the change using adsiedit as instructed.  Thanks again to all!

Friday, January 13, 2012 6:28 PM