none
DPM Recovery from Disk (MBS) RRS feed

• Question

• I had setup the protected group on Modern storage (disk) and selected the synchronization frequency every 15 minutes

File Recovery points: 8:00 am, 12;00pm, 6:00 pm everyday 

- I am assumption that I can recovery the data every 15 minutes, however when I go to recovery I didn't see the every 15 minutes recovery option, I can see the recovery point like 6:05 pm .. 

How would I recovery if something was lost at 3:35 pm cause it is not showing the 3:15 recovery point? 

So, recovery is only the base on the recovery point no matter the sync frequency 15 minutes? 

Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

For protected volumes or shares, including system state and client protection, the time of the recovery point is the time you will see under the recovery tab.  Synchronizations for file data are not recovery points.

If you needed to recover a file between the last recovery point, and before the next recovery pointy is created, you can manually create a recovery point and recover files from that intermediate recovery point assuming one or more synchronizations were successful in between.   

So, if you are doing synchronizations every 15 minutes, and the last recovery point was at 12:00 PM, and at 3:35 PM the protected server fails or you lost something, the last synchronization was at 3:30 PM, you could manually make a recovery point without synchronization, and that restore point would include file changes up to and including 3:30 PM, so you only lost 5 minutes worth of changes before the server became inaccessible.

The longer time between synchronizations, the more changes you miss bringing over to the DPM server and potentially lose should the protected server croak.

Here's a good (older) documentation for DPM that explains the synchronization in more detail:
    What Is Synchronization?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by purushottam151 Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:12 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For protected volumes or shares, including system state and client protection, the time of the recovery point is the time you will see under the recovery tab.  Synchronizations for file data are not recovery points.

If you needed to recover a file between the last recovery point, and before the next recovery pointy is created, you can manually create a recovery point and recover files from that intermediate recovery point assuming one or more synchronizations were successful in between.   

So, if you are doing synchronizations every 15 minutes, and the last recovery point was at 12:00 PM, and at 3:35 PM the protected server fails or you lost something, the last synchronization was at 3:30 PM, you could manually make a recovery point without synchronization, and that restore point would include file changes up to and including 3:30 PM, so you only lost 5 minutes worth of changes before the server became inaccessible.

The longer time between synchronizations, the more changes you miss bringing over to the DPM server and potentially lose should the protected server croak.

Here's a good (older) documentation for DPM that explains the synchronization in more detail:
    What Is Synchronization?

Best regards,
    Leon

• Marked as answer by purushottam151 Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:12 PM
    Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Thanks so much Leon .. Appreciate it .. 

Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:22 PM
  • You're welcome!

Thursday, September 19, 2019 5:24 PM
  • HI Leon, 

I am testing all aspect to recover the point in time, 

As earlier I mentioned : 

File Recovery points: 8:00 am, 12;00pm, 6:00 pm everyday and 15 min sync

- For instance - on protected server's one c: drive some document was lost on one day before

at 2:25 and wanted to restore ;

I went to protected group belong to that server and inside c drive I selected the folder and 

tried to create the Recovery point for yesterday at 2;15 pm from the shorterm disk ,however I didn't get the option to select the recovery point for yesterday at 2:15? Am I doing the right way?

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:49 PM
  • Ensure that the synchronizations have completed successfully.

Did you create a manual recovery point without synchronization?

Here's another thread with examples, they explain it pretty well:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/29324dc6-cb9f-41dc-a145-931a7b616399/dpm-2012-and-synchronization?forum=dataprotectionmanager

Friday, September 20, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Here what I am trying to achieve is , I have recovery points 3 times day 8 am, 12 and 6 pm  sync every 15 minutes and 9pm backup copy on online.. 

I wanted to do point in time restore i.e. recovery 2 days back data at 2:30 pm , on Recovery - I selected 2 days back date and I can see the recovery time 8 am, 12pm, 6 pm from disk and 9 pm from online, but I didn't get the option of selecting 2:30 recovery point? 

why I am not getting the 2:30 point it time recovery as the sync is happening every 15 minutes? 

I tried to create the New recovery point , it do not give me the option to select the time?

it has - create recovery point after synchronizing? - create a recovery point without synchronizing 

then after selecting create a recovery point without synchronizing. it create a recovery point but not the date that i want ? 

From all of this I am understanding there is no point in time recovery even the sync is there for 15 mintues, DPM can recovery the data based on the recovery point? 

Please let me know whether my understanding is clear. 

Friday, September 20, 2019 5:47 PM
  • Remember the following: synchronizations for file data are not recovery points.

So if you were in need to recover a file/folder between the last recovery point, and before the next recovery pointy is created, you can manually create a recovery point and recover files from that intermediate recovery point assuming one or more synchronizations were successful in between.

Example 1:

If a file was deleted before 8 AM, you would be able to recover it from the previous recovery point 9PM the day before.

Example 2:

If a file was deleted after 8 AM, you could recover it by using the 8AM recovery point.

Example 3:

If a file was created after 8 AM, but the file got deleted before the next recovery point which is at 12PM, then the file is gone.

Example 4:

If a file was created after 9:05 AM, and the file got deleted at 9:10 AM, but you have synchronizations every 15 minutes, and the last 

Example 5:

If the last recovery point was at 8 AM, and at 10:50 AM a file gets deleted, the last synchronization was at 10:45 AM, and you realize this before the next synchronization, then you could manually create a recovery point without synchronization and this new recovery point would include the file changes up to and including 10:45 AM.

I would strongly recommend you to enable Shadow Copies on your file server, it will add a lot more recovery time options for you.

Friday, September 20, 2019 6:23 PM