none
Microsoft Remote Desktop keyboard not working RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using windows 10 and have been using microsoft remote desktop for 6 weeks.  Today after using it for several hours the keypboard stopped working.  It works fine while i am on my desktop computer but not in remote desktop.  The mouse works fine - for the moment.  I tried calling technical support at microsoft only to be bounced around 7 times and then was disconnected.  Does anyone have any tips on how to get remote desktop to recognize my keyboard again?
    Friday, May 1, 2020 8:37 PM

All replies

• HI
    1.what's the model of your issue keyboard ?is it usb keyboard or bluetooth keyboard or wireless keyboard?
    2.can you enter winver in command prompt on both local win10 computer and the remote computer then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    3.are both local win10 computer and remote pc physical computer ?
    4.if we try to click "update driver"option for "remote desktop keyboard device"  and click "scan for hardware changes" in device manager on remote computer like picture 1 then reproduce your issue,will the same issue happen ?
    5.do you have the third computer can remote access the remote computer?is the same issue happen on the third computer?
    for example:
    pcA remote access pc B ,the keyboad of pcA can not be used in remote session of pcB
    pcC remote access pc B ,what's the result ?
    6. if we create a new local account of pcB(the remote pc)and try to remote access from your pcA to pcB by using this new local account ,will the same issue happen on this new local account session?
    7 .if we
    do a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) on both local computer and remote pc ,will the same issue happen ?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    8.if the problem persist ,e
    nsure the latest update has been installed on both local computer and remote pc to avoid known issue.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2020 3:08 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 8, 2020 2:43 AM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, May 11, 2020 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

This happened to me that first time, on a Friday and by Monday the keyboard was working so I hadn't checked back for the reply.  However it has happened to me again, ironically, on a Friday.  I can't type anything into the remote destktop.  It seems to happen when something comes up about "sticky keys".  When it initially happened I had clicked on "yes" to shut it off, that was my first mistake.  I found that if the box comes up I just X out of it and my keyboard is ok.  But if I click yes or no I lose the keyboard connection.  Unfotunately i was typing today when it appeared so whatever was highlighted it took.  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling remote desktop but that didn't work either.  I'm not sure I follow everything you have for instructions. I have physical desktop on my work, a physical desktop at home, and then the remote desktop, is that what you consider the third computer?

Friday, May 22, 2020 1:45 PM
  • HI
    9.can you enter winver in command prompt on both local win10 computer and the remote computer then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    10.when the problem happen ,is there any log about this issue on both local computer and the remote computer ?
    on local computer
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    system
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-terminalservices-clientactivatexcore
    microsoft-winodws-terminalservices-rdpclient/analytic  enable
    microsoft-winodws-terminalservices-rdpclient/debug    enable
    microsoft-winodws-terminalservices-rdpclient/operational  enable
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-remotefx-synth3dvsc
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-remotefx-vm-kernel-mode-transport
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-remotefx-vm-user-mode-transport
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-SessionServices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-remotedesktopservices-rdpcoreTS_admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-remotedesktopservices-rdpcoreTS_operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-TerminalServices-PnPdevices
    admin
    operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-TerminalServices-remoteconnectionmanagager
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-TerminalServices-clientusbdevices
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-clientactivexcore
    -rdpclient/analytic
    -rdpclient/operational

--------------------------------------------
    on remote computer
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    system
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-terminalservices-clientactivatexcore
    microsoft-winodws-terminalservices-rdpclient/analytic  enable
    microsoft-winodws-terminalservices-rdpclient/debug    enable
    microsoft-winodws-terminalservices-rdpclient/operational  enable
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-remotefx-synth3dvsc
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-remotefx-vm-kernel-mode-transport
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-remotefx-vm-user-mode-transport
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-RemoteDesktopServices-SessionServices_Operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs -Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-clientactivexcore
    -rdpclient/analytic
    -rdpclient/operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-remotedesktopservices-rdpcoreTS_admin
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-remotedesktopservices-rdpcoreTS_operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-TerminalServices-PnPdevices
    admin
    operational
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-TerminalServices-remoteconnectionmanagager
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-remotedesktopservices-sessionservices
    Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft –Windows-TerminalServices-serverusbdevices
    admin
    operational

11.did you check full update and install full update patches on both local computer and remote computer ?
    12.since you are using "Microsoft remote desktop" store app ,if we enter mstsc in command prompt on local computer and remote access from this local computer to remote pc ,will the same issue happen on "remote desktop connection" software ?
    13.did you have another keyboard can be used to connect to local computer for testing remote connection? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 3:08 AM
  • The keyboard is back to operational.  What ever it has to do with seems to cycle thru overnight.  Both times it happened on a Friday so by the following work day it was working again.  But at the time it happens no amount of shutting down and rebooting rights the situation.  The version is 1909 and OS build 18363.836.  I have just a wireless keyboard and unfortunately i just have the one.  I did check the keyboard drivers for both my home pc and the office pc and they are both current.   I will try the instructions you gave me that i can do on my home pc but unfortunately my company has an IT department so they would need to check my work pc as administrators.  I will pass this info along and keep you posted.

Thank you for your help.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 7:55 PM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply. if your IT find new thread in the event log in step 10,you can also post here.
    I hope everything goes well. Good luck for you!

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:58 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, June 7, 2020 3:24 PM