none
Pin to Taskbar - icon generic RRS feed

• Question

• I right click on my Shortcut icon on my desktop and select Pin to Taskbar.  On the desktop, I have the program graphic on the icon.  When I "pin it to the taskbar" it shows up with a GENERIC white icon with program manager icon similar to Windows 3.11.  It still works and 'acts' like everything is OK but yet the icon is gone. 
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:18 PM

Answers

• 1.) Because this is simpler, we'll try this first. Close the application, unpin the application, then run it (using the Desktop, Start Menu, or the actual executable, it is up to you). Open the running application's jumplist and click Pin this program to the taskbar. You'll need to close it again to see if the icon reverts.

2.) If that didn't work. Right-click on the taskbar icon then again on the program's name (just above the Unpin this... button) and click Properties. There are three buttons in the bottom 1/3 of the tab control, click Change icon... then the Browse... button. An open file dialog will appear, locate you applications .exe (unless it has a .ico sitting around) and select it.

Now we need to restart Explorer. If you know how to do this, you're pretty much done. Otherwise:

3a.) Open Powershell from the Start Menu and type "kill -processname explorer" (no quote).

OR

3b.) Open taskmgr (CTRL+SHFT+ESC) go to the Processes tab and end explorer.exe then move to the Applications tab and click the New Task... button near the bottom of the tab control and type in "Explorer" (no quotes.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:36 AM