none
On Screen Keyboard RRS feed

• Question

• I am Running Windows 7 64 bit on my home computer.

I have been successfully running the On Screen Keyboard since I obtained my new computer in 2011.

However in the last week it has stopped running displaying the following error message

C\Windows\System32\osk.exe
    A referral was returned from the server

How can I restore the On Screen Keyboard?

Bill Knagge

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:01 PM

Answers

• Check this : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cwindowssystem32oskexe-a-referral-was-returned/a0907685-da69-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Gauging by the numerous reports, this appears to be a bug caused by the recent bunch of Windows Automatic Updates. My own machine is affected too. Could not find a cure so far. Maybe a moderator will pick it up and report it to Microsoft. And no, sfc.exe does not fix the problem and neither does creating a new account.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:43 PM
  • Can you let me know the updates causing this problem ? 

I strongly suspect that it is one included in this list. I can't be sure because I use OSK only very rarely. One the other hand I have another Windows 7 machine that has 25 updates waiting to be installed. OSK works fine on that machine.

Note also that 22 updates went through yesterday even though this list shows a smaller number for yesterday's date (which is in DD.MM.YYYY format).

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Hi Bill Knagge,

As Bruce Hagen said in the link Arnav Sharma posted, the KB3004394 has caused some unexpected errors and now it has been removed by another KB3024777.

Please run “wusa uninstall:KB3004394” in the command line to check whether this KB has been installed .If it has been installed ,uninstall it and have a check .

If the issue persists ,please post back. We will do a deep research. 

Best regards 

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:56 AM
  • In response to MeipoXu's reply:

Please run “wusa uninstall:KB3004394” in the command line to check whether this KB has been installed.
    -> Running this command generated this error message:

KB3004394 has caused some unexpected errors and now it has been removed by another KB3024777.
    -> Downloading and executing the file KB3024777-amd64.exe had no effect. The file ran in the background but did not interact with the foreground in any way.

Resolution

1. Allow Automatic Updates to download until you see KB3024777.
    2. Shut down the machine so that the item can install itself.
    3. Turn on the PC.
    4. Go and have a cup of coffee. Windows is close to unusable for around 30 minutes until the update has fixed everything it needs to fix.
    5. Test osk.exe. It should now work.

Friday, December 12, 2014 11:57 AM

All replies

• Check this : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cwindowssystem32oskexe-a-referral-was-returned/a0907685-da69-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Gauging by the numerous reports, this appears to be a bug caused by the recent bunch of Windows Automatic Updates. My own machine is affected too. Could not find a cure so far. Maybe a moderator will pick it up and report it to Microsoft. And no, sfc.exe does not fix the problem and neither does creating a new account.

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:43 PM

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:47 PM

I strongly suspect that it is one included in this list. I can't be sure because I use OSK only very rarely. One the other hand I have another Windows 7 machine that has 25 updates waiting to be installed. OSK works fine on that machine.

Note also that 22 updates went through yesterday even though this list shows a smaller number for yesterday's date (which is in DD.MM.YYYY format).

Friday, December 12, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Hi Bill Knagge,

As Bruce Hagen said in the link Arnav Sharma posted, the KB3004394 has caused some unexpected errors and now it has been removed by another KB3024777.

Please run “wusa uninstall:KB3004394” in the command line to check whether this KB has been installed .If it has been installed ,uninstall it and have a check .

If the issue persists ,please post back. We will do a deep research. 

Best regards 

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:56 AM
  • In response to MeipoXu's reply:

Please run “wusa uninstall:KB3004394” in the command line to check whether this KB has been installed.
    -> Running this command generated this error message:

KB3004394 has caused some unexpected errors and now it has been removed by another KB3024777.
    -> Downloading and executing the file KB3024777-amd64.exe had no effect. The file ran in the background but did not interact with the foreground in any way.

Resolution

1. Allow Automatic Updates to download until you see KB3024777.
    2. Shut down the machine so that the item can install itself.
    3. Turn on the PC.
    4. Go and have a cup of coffee. Windows is close to unusable for around 30 minutes until the update has fixed everything it needs to fix.
    5. Test osk.exe. It should now work.

Friday, December 12, 2014 11:57 AM
  • Thank You

KB3024777 has been installed and fixed the problem.

Bill Knagge

Saturday, December 13, 2014 3:51 AM