none
vista loads, but then screen goes black

Question

• vista loads i see the bar going across the screen 2 times, then once it finishes on the second time, the screen goes black, i have let it sit there for an hour, and it still just sits there, my specs are as follows, and if i go into safe mode, it stops at a file called, crcdisk.exe, and i have updated the BIOS, and i have seen all the problems with sata, but hasnt RC1 fixed that?

intel box945gnt

intel 930 em64t duel core

ati x800 xt plat

2 sata 2, 160 gig hd's

3 gigs ddr2 6500

sound blaster audigy 2 zs pro

Sunday, September 10, 2006 12:08 PM

All replies

• if it stops at crcdisk..could be something wrong there however are you not at all able to boot into safe mode? As well as this, I hope you are running the latest version, RC1?
    Monday, September 11, 2006 12:33 AM
  • Hi,

I have a similar experience with my ASUS P5WDG2-WS / ATI X1800XT PC. The screen goes black and nothing happens. No matter if I try 'Safe Mode' or any other option. It wont finish the installation!

It did work just fine with the Beta 2, though...

I've seen others having the same problem on some other forums, so I guess MS forgot to add drivers for ATI cards in the RC1....

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:26 AM
  • yes im using the latest RC1, should i try to re install vista again? like a bad copy or something, ya it wont let me boot in safe mode either, thats when it stops at crcdisk.exe...
    Monday, September 11, 2006 12:07 PM
  • I use an ATI 850xt and I was able to get around this by removing my video card and using the onboard video from the motherboard.  I couldn't get it to work with any video cards, even tried an Nvidia 7800gtx.  Hope this helps you get into vista at least.
    Friday, September 15, 2006 9:59 PM
  • Same here, I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 / NVIDIA 7950GX2 (PCI-Express).

Any workarounds except changing the gfxcard ?

Later,

Jens

Saturday, September 16, 2006 7:27 PM
  • I have the same thing happening. and if I wait long enough it blue screens and core dumps.!!

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 and NVIDIA 7950GX2
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:39 AM
  • ive only given it about an hour to load..never got a blue screen...almost got chunked out the window tho...im starting to get really pissed off...i have never gotten a vista to work on my computer, something always gives me trouble...whether it wouldnt install...like the old beta's or now it installs. but just sits there at a black screen....when is the next release going to be available to see if these guys can fix a mistake
    Sunday, September 17, 2006 1:03 PM
  • after loading vista and updating my bios i had some similiar start up problems. i went into the bios and changed the hard drive to "ide" and it started up fine and has worked ever since.
    • Proposed as answer by cold1man Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:42 PM
    Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:13 PM
  •  

There is the solution of running vista with 9750GX2 GPU
    1-unplug the 7950 card
    2-plug an elder modell ec.6200 card in the secondary pci-e and install windows vista RC2 (96.77 WDDM drivers)
    3-Plug your 7950GX2 card to the first pci- slot but don't unplug the one in the secondary pci-e
    4-Boot vista, you will be see nothing on the 1. monitor but monitor which is connected to the older card will be in fuction.
    5- change the drivers of 7950 card to standart VGA boot again
    6- after booting the fist monitor (7950) will show the main window.
    7- change the drivers of 7950 card from the device manager with the option (let me pick the drivers.... [have disk])
    with the 96.77 one
    8- windows vista will boot and boot without problem (let the older card remain in his slot!!)

config

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE

ASUS EN7950GX2

Leadtek 6200 (as rabbit installer)

1GIG RAM

VISTA RC2 5574bld.

regards

Bumin Ulusoy

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 10:17 PM
  • Symptoms:

I stop after disk.sys is loaded by the bootloader.

Black Screen then reboot.

Problem:

Asus P5W + nVidia 7950GX2

I know the above combo is the problem as I can install vista fine with a PCI graphics card.

I've tried the driver replacement workaround but this is no good as I cant get past the bootloader :(

Even if I init PCI as the first display device I can boot if the 7950 is in. All good in XP.

Just thought I'd post this so others dont waste there time with workarounds on this combo.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:19 PM
  • Well i had that problem. But it happened to me a while after i was using RC1. What i did was boot to last knowen good configuration. And then it booted up fine.
    Friday, October 20, 2006 4:36 AM
  • I had this as well with my new system. Turned out to be the second SATA drive I had attached had a bad SATA cable causing it! Couldn't believe it since it was one of the cables that came with the Asus board! Doh!

Once I swapped out the SATA cable everything booted up fine!

Friday, October 20, 2006 4:58 AM
  • Ye in my case it's all to do with the 7950 GX2 as soon as I take that out and replace with a PCI card all is good again :(
    Friday, October 20, 2006 9:39 AM
  • I've since sound out that even though my card is reported as a 7950 GX2
    its one of the early 7900 GTX Duo's.
    I don't know if this is the source of my trouble now as others are running fine with 7950GX2s :'(
    Friday, October 20, 2006 5:27 PM
  • I got a riddle. My friend uses a Dell, a XPS M1530
    It supposedly takes a Windows Vista; Home Premium. (not sure 32 or 64)

It boots up normal, up until the vista Microsoft Loading with the green bar shows up and it will go by, quite a few times. After a few minutes the screen will go black... sometimes it will be curteous enough to give me a half a second blue screen. Noticed the same problem happens if i try to use the Home Premium CD with it, -32-. My friend tells me he called Dell and they sent him a new hardrive, im not sure of its capabilities because im scared to open laptops, as well as i cant get on the normal desktop of the Vista screen...

If i try SM (Safe Mode), SM w/ Networking, or SM w/ Command Prompt, it will shut down on Crcdisk.exe. Fairly new laptop, im assuming he bought it sometime this year after he came back from Iraq.

I am going to try do an experiment and try to install XP on it. but of course those CD's are becomming increasingly rare for some reason. or at least here in Germany.
    Anyone else have advice regarding to the riddle?

Fang out
    Monday, April 27, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Hi powed:

i have same problem start today, i dont know how to get to bios? could you please help guide me the step thanks

Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Very similar problem. Running Vista 32bit Home Premium. Added EVGA GEForce8500. Intermittantly it would boot to blank screen. It was running fine, just not showing anything on the screen.  Switching to an old viewsonic monitor, I got the message "out of range", so I tried changing the setting to 800x600.  That fixed it, but who wants to deal with such a low res?  Sometimes if I left it long enough, something would happen and the screen would come up.  I tried hooking it up to my HDTV today with the card's DVI out.  That worked perfectly. 

Best workaround I could come up with... replace monitor with one that has a DVI input.
    I found a 22in widescreen viewsonic with full HD for $170 with free shipping/no tax.
    In a few days, I won't have to deal with this any more.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I had this problem with my laptop except my screen loaded to pink as my girlfriend changed its default to that for a laugh! haha shes so funny!! anyway......... i found that the laptop seemed to be running fine in the background. So i pressed ctrl alt delete and brought up the vista selection page (the one where you can choose log off, start task manager etc.) and selected log off. once this has run though just select your icon to log back in again and it loads up fine with me. Let me know if its any help!!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:22 PM