none
MDT 2013 and WinRE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am new to MDT 2013 and self taught over the last few weeks.

I am trying to install a custom Win10 image. I have this working, my problem is the recovery. At the moment I install Win10 through MDT 2013 onto the C: drive. MDT also sets up a hidden RECOVERY drive and copies over WinRE files. I activate windows, install office and activate. I will then SYSPREP the pc to OOBE and shutdown for the customer.

I then boot to WinPE and use DISM to capture for a recovery image. I put the captured WIM file on the recovery drive and power off.

When I tried to use the recovery WIM file, it does not use this WIM file but the original install files that I used to deploy the original image. All my customisation is lost.

Basically what I want to do is:

1. Deploy a standard image

2. Customize the image with Office and other software including activation

3. Sysprep to OOBE and shutdown

4. Capture the custom image and place on recovery drive

5. Be able to deploy the custom image as a recovery image either through SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY (if pc is not booting) or from RESET PC in windows.

Any help would be great.

Jay

• Edited by Jaydon5201 Tuesday, July 23, 2019 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:20 AM

All replies

• Windows 10 will, by default, use the WinSxS source to run either of the recovery options. I am not aware of any "official" instructions to create a full custom recovery, but the process to do it is the same as previous OS. You create the partition, image it with the winre.wim and the install.wim (and whatever else you want to use) and set up the BCD for it.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:11 PM
  • Hi Jay,

Besides, for MDT question, you could ask for help from its specific forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?forum=mdt

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn. 

Thanks for your understanding and cooperating.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:42 AM