none
Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade - Compatibility Failure - ThinkPad Tablet Button Driver CoInstaller & Notepad.exe - Log Attached.

Question

• Upgrading laptop to Windows 7 tonight.

Hardware:  Lenove x60 Tablet PC.
    Software:  Windows 7 Ultimate, MSDN Download

Issue:  When running the upgrade wizard, I get a fatal compability error, referencing the ThinkPad Tablet Button Driver CoInstaller.
    Actions: 

1)  Removed all the TabletPC Button programs from Programs and Settings.
         Result - Still Toast

2)  Running ProcMon to find the damn log files, would have been nice if someelse had posted this one, anyway they can be found...(only when the setup program is still running) at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panter\setupact.log.  Here's where it get wierd.

2009-08-10 22:34:48, Info                  MIG    CShortcutEnumCallback::Callback: Checking application C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe
    2009-08-10 22:34:48, Info                  MIG    CSysEnumCallback::CheckApplication: Checking application C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe
    2009-08-10 22:34:48, Info                  MIG    Query application compatibility status: C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe
    2009-08-10 22:34:48, Info                  MIG    Querying native architecture compatibility database
    2009-08-10 22:34:48, Info                  MIG    Incompatible app ThinkPad Tablet Button Driver CoInstaller (C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe) is blocking upgrade
    2009-08-10 22:34:48, Info                  MIG    CUpgradeCompatReport: App ThinkPad Tablet Button Driver CoInstaller (C:\Windows\system32\notepad.exe) is flagged: 16777216

So I have to assume that notepad has a problem with the ThinkPad Table Button Driver CoInstaller, which I'll be happy to remove is someone can help me find it.

Any ideas?
    Dylan

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:53 AM

Answers

• Same problem here on a Lenovo x61. Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

Boot with Win7 CD go into repair mode "R"
    Delete the files in the directories below and remove the directories
      system32\drivestore\filerepository\tkbtnpn.inf_ba09ef73\*.*
      system32\drivestore\filerepository\tkbtnpn.inf_061cd165\*.*
    Reboot to Vista.
    Upgraded from Vista Enterprise to Windows 7 Enterprise just fine. 

Hope this helps
    • Marked as answer by Dylan Phillips Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:40 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Same as above (d. Ellis), except, I stayed in vista, took each of the directories above in d. Ellis' post, right-clicked and took ownership of the directories for my user, then exited the dialogs, changed my rights to full rights, then deleted the folders. Then I installed windows 7.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.  I also took control of the directorites in Vista and removed the offending file.

'System32' is locked.  Here is how to take control of the directories you are looking for:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

You don't need to kill the whole directory.  The root problem is the 'lensins.dll'.  If you rename that file, it fixes the issue.

-Dylan

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:40 AM

All replies

• Little more detail:

Did a ProcMon to correlate what was being accessed at the exact time of the failure, just in case some other poor schmuck has this happen at 11:00 PM.

Looks like the problem is the following driver:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\tkbtnpn.inf_061cd165\lencins.dll

Next stop, figure out the device that is the offender.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Looks like Lenovo dropped a new Driver on June 23, 2009...Let's see if this does it.

Here's the driver for those that follow.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-67222
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Nope, still broke....

Man, I can't wait to help my dad through upgrading his boxes!  Geez, I might just have to buy him a Mac.  This is weak!

Okay, so where are we.

The root problem looks to be the 'tkbtnpn.sys' stack.

In computer management > device manager > ThinkPad Tablet Keyboard and Buttons.

Unfortunately, I cannot disable the Driver, only Update or roll back the driver.  And the most recent Driver still fails.  Lenovo...Help!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Crashing...No more energy, if anyone knows of a way to reach out to someone to diagnose.  That would be awesome.  Otherwise, I'm Dead in the Water.

-Dylan

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Yep, I am in the same place as you...

IBM ThinPad X60...
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:13 PM
  • TJoslyn:

I've got a case open with Microsoft.  I'll let you know, when it gets resolved.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Thanks, we will see what comes first, a resolution from MS or me sorting out my data so I can install from afresh!
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:53 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I've spent all morning trying to resolve the problem, but still can't install.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I assume you are upgrading from Vista.  Why not do a clean install anyway?
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Friday, August 14, 2009 10:56 PM
  • I did a clean install and all seems to be working ok, i havent go the finger print reader working on any of the lenovo extra stuff like the tool box etc but all the basic stuff works
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Which model fingerprint reader do you have installed in your laptop?  My Thinkvantage Fingerprint software and driver wouldn't install but once I looked at the action center it found a driver for the Authentec 2810 and prompted me to install it.  Once I did I was able to use the Biometric Devices control panel application to register fingerprints and turn on authentication.  One thing it WON'T let me do is turn on pre-boot authentication or manage any of those settings.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:24 PM
  • I've just about uninstalled every driver from lenovo on my x60t, but still getting the same error as well. Also tried botting up in safe mode w/ command prompt and killing the files - no can do. even tried taking ownership with CACL - that didn't work either. Aargh. Am still looking for solutions. . .
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:54 AM
  • Same problem here on a Lenovo x61. Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

Boot with Win7 CD go into repair mode "R"
    Delete the files in the directories below and remove the directories
      system32\drivestore\filerepository\tkbtnpn.inf_ba09ef73\*.*
      system32\drivestore\filerepository\tkbtnpn.inf_061cd165\*.*
    Reboot to Vista.
    Upgraded from Vista Enterprise to Windows 7 Enterprise just fine. 

Hope this helps
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:44 PM
  • Same as above (d. Ellis), except, I stayed in vista, took each of the directories above in d. Ellis' post, right-clicked and took ownership of the directories for my user, then exited the dialogs, changed my rights to full rights, then deleted the folders. Then I installed windows 7.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.  I also took control of the directorites in Vista and removed the offending file.

'System32' is locked.  Here is how to take control of the directories you are looking for:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/how-to-delete-a-system-file-in-windows-vista/

You don't need to kill the whole directory.  The root problem is the 'lensins.dll'.  If you rename that file, it fixes the issue.

-Dylan

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:40 AM
  • I successfully upgraded from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit version, on my Lenovo X61 tablet PC,after reading the above messages.

At first the upgrade procedure was blocked by the presence of the Thinkpad Table Button Driver Coinstaller, which I could not find.

I followed the procedure in www.howtogeek.com about taking control of the folder:
    C:\windows\system 32\DriverStore\FileRepository\tkbtnpn.inf_061cde165
    I then tried the command calcs to be allowed to delete files in that folder.
    I received an error message that the appropriate command is now icalcs.
    After running that, I went into Windows Explorer and deleted lensins.dll and lensins.exe.

Then, the Windows upgrade then proceeded smoothly, taking about 4 hours.
    Nearly all of my programs continue to work, but I am still checking for driver updates for a a couple of items.

Don
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:06 PM