none
GPP for mapping drives not working RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 devices have stopped applying the Group Policy Preference that maps network drives. It appears that an update (Probably KB3163018) has changed how policies are applied.

I have added the following 2 registry entries to test this ahead of requesting the correct security settings being put in place:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkProvider\HardenedPaths "\\*\SYSVOL" "RequireMutualAuthentication=0"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\NetworkProvider\HardenedPaths "\\*\NETLOGON" "RequireMutualAuthentication=0"

However, this does not appear to have made a difference.

EDIT: I should note that it was working fine before on the same machines and that it is still working on Windows 7 & 8.1

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:27 PM

Answers

• Sorry about putting this in the wrong place. I happened to be in the ConfigMgr forum for another issue and forgot to change the location.

We found the solution to this; One of the security updates to Windows 10 changes how GPO security works and make the Computer account responsible for getting both the Computer and the User policies. In this instance the policy is only applied to users (user groups really) so the computer doesn't have rights to the policy, we delegated read rights to Authenticated Users and the policy applied fine after a reboot.

Now our Op's team will have fun going through our live policies and have to delegate rights where appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Martin Little Friday, October 28, 2016 1:51 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 1:51 PM

All replies

• Ahh this is not ConfigMgr issue, you have to check this in Windows 10, Moderators can move this thread to that one or move there to get the solution 

Sharad Singh | My blogs: SharadTech | Twitter: @SinghSharaad | | Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi Martin,

Please check your Windows 10 client exact build. I take a test on my Windows 10 1067 and Windows Server 2012R2, it works fine.

If it's Windows 10 1067, make sure you applied the latest proper ADMX file:

Download the latest ADMX for Windows 10 from the following address and then deploy that policy again:

Administrative Templates (.admx) for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:59 AM
  • Sorry about putting this in the wrong place. I happened to be in the ConfigMgr forum for another issue and forgot to change the location.

We found the solution to this; One of the security updates to Windows 10 changes how GPO security works and make the Computer account responsible for getting both the Computer and the User policies. In this instance the policy is only applied to users (user groups really) so the computer doesn't have rights to the policy, we delegated read rights to Authenticated Users and the policy applied fine after a reboot.

Now our Op's team will have fun going through our live policies and have to delegate rights where appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Martin Little Friday, October 28, 2016 1:51 PM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 1:51 PM