none
Windows 7 error on boot after install to SSD

Question

• I have been trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate on an SSD that I have and am having difficulties after the install. The SSD is a 100 GB 'SAMSUNG MCCOE1HG5MXP-0VBD3' or also named 'SS805'.  The error on the Windows 7 SSD install states "A disk read error occurred. press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I go through the first part of the install with no issues when it is copying/expanding files and installing updates...the issue occurs only after it reboots to finish the install process. I have the same drive on an exact model pc that I installed Windows XP with no issues at all.  I have the most up to date firmware for my motherboard and drive. I have only this SSD connected and no other drives.

In the Bios for the SSD it is set on configuration 'Enhanced' and the mode to 'IDE'. I also tried 'Compatible' but had the same issues. I tried 'AHCI' as well and ran into the same problem. I have read through the forums and saw that sometimes there can be alignment issues with solid state drives but I also read that the Windows7 installer is supposed to do the alignment for you.

Please forgive me if the fix for this is listed in another thread. 

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Asus Essentio CG5275-AR003 

Intel Core i5 650 / 3.2 GHz

8-core, 64-bit

Chipset type: Intel H55 Express, 1333.0 MHz data bus speed

L2 cache

8.0 GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333.0 MHz

Storage Controller: 1.0 x Serial ATA - Integrated, Serial ATA-300

Power supply: 400.0 Watt

American Megatrends Bios v.0502 (AMIBIOS)

Sunday, November 20, 2011 11:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you can try connect this SSD to you normal computer - format it with NTFS and then you can apply install.wim (with proper version selected) on this SSD, using command imagex (you must have Windows AIK installed).

Then pull this SSD into you notebook and you will see, if it will work. With this we can elliminate bad DVD/bad USB drive.

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you can try connect this SSD to you normal computer - format it with NTFS and then you can apply install.wim (with proper version selected) on this SSD, using command imagex (you must have Windows AIK installed).

Then pull this SSD into you notebook and you will see, if it will work. With this we can elliminate bad DVD/bad USB drive.

Monday, November 21, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Thank you for your response - I will give that a try
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:42 PM