none
The System Image Restore Failed 0x80042412

Question

• Hi Experts

I have 2 laptops both running on windows 7 Professional, the below is hard-disk capacities.

Laptop A = 350GB ( 3 Partition + System Reserve Partition)

Laptop B = 60GB ( 1 Partition + System Reserve Partition)

I would like to swap the 2 hard-drives, so I have taken system images of the both drives. Please note I have only taken C Partition and System Reserve from the laptop A. The C Partition is shrinked to 40GB in capacity.

When I restore Laptop A system image on to 60GB HDD, I get the below error message.

" The System Image restore failed.

No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found."

Can anyone please advise what I am doing wrong and how to get this fixed?

Any help will be highly appreciated !

Kind Regards

Bhavesh

Bhavesh
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is most likely the original disk is SATA but the target disk is PATA so that cause this issue.

Please refer to the following link to resolve the issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/65205-re-image-system-disk-fails-error-0x80042412.html

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is most likely the original disk is SATA but the target disk is PATA so that cause this issue.

Please refer to the following link to resolve the issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/65205-re-image-system-disk-fails-error-0x80042412.html

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:43 AM
  • Hi. I had a similar problem.
    This error means the target hard drive is ineligible to receive image. In my case the target hard drive was previously formatted, and had been formatted using MBR partition table. I was installing Windows 8 with uefi/gpt partition table. The solution was to switch my hard drive to gpt partition scheme from MBR.

Start > Disk Management

Right click on target disk

Convert to GPT disk.

Another problem maybe the image you are exporting also contains the target hard disk image. If this is the case you need to remove broken references to that hard disk by deleting all partitions on the target hard disk, and then running ccleaner to remove old references to that hard disk that are broken.
    Anyway, I hope that helps! It did for me!
    - Vittorio
    Friday, November 15, 2013 12:47 AM