none
Missing Windows Server 2016 Server Manager RRS feed

• Question

• During the configuration of Windows Server 2016, I removed .Net 4.6. After rebooting the server, the Server Manager disappeared. It was no longer on the start window and I cannot locate it anywhere in the file system. Can anyone help me get the server manager back?

Note: I also cannot run Powershell. When I click on it in the start menu, nothing happens.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 1:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

By default, Server Manager is installed by default with all editions of Windows Server. 

In general, the .exe file of Server Manager is stored at %windir%\System32, try to find file named ServerManager.exe. If this file exists, double click and confirm that if you can open it. Then, we can manually add it to Start menu via adding a shortcut to below location:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If the ServerManager.exe file does not exist, as you mentioned that problem happens after uninstalling .Net 4.6, if possible, please re-install it to confirm that if it is helpful. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

By default, Server Manager is installed by default with all editions of Windows Server. 

In general, the .exe file of Server Manager is stored at %windir%\System32, try to find file named ServerManager.exe. If this file exists, double click and confirm that if you can open it. Then, we can manually add it to Start menu via adding a shortcut to below location:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If the ServerManager.exe file does not exist, as you mentioned that problem happens after uninstalling .Net 4.6, if possible, please re-install it to confirm that if it is helpful. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:10 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, July 19, 2019 9:20 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. I was able to solve it using DISM command line tool.

The command

DISM /online /get-features /format:table > ListOfFeatures.txt

allows us to see the status of the Windows Features.
    When we disabled .net 4.6 we disabled also other features (including powershell)

To reneable everything we need to enable PowerShell (or maybe in your case other feature).

To do so I used:

DISM /online /enable-feature /all /featurename:MicrosoftWindowsPowerShell

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:52 AM