none
Permission Settings: Unable to change, issues with not being admin RRS feed

• Question

• I'm utterly baffled by the security settings on my C: drive, or more like confused as to why i'm not permitted to change them. This all has stemmed from me wanting to remove some files after running "Search and Destroy" and not being classified as "administrator", so next time I run it i should make sure i'm logged in as admin? Have had this happen in a few other instances that i don't recall what I was doing. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

• I get that there's a difference between a user and an administrator (b/f 7 were they more separate than now?)
    • I get windows 7 did something about escalating/making sure admin makes decision to make a change/install program, etc.
    • I don't get why I can't just give all permissions to all users w/o issues w/ registry and programs running (thus not permitting me to mess w/)

What i've done so far: 

• I've turned off the prompt UAC b/c i'd prefer to decide w/o the stupid popup.  I get that this could be bad re: let myself install bad stuff from internet = virus, etc. 
    • Right click start menu, open windows explorer, right click on HP (C:), Properties, Select Security Tab, Permissions for HP (C:) 
    • Tried to give my Baxter\Users\ all permissions that administrator has with the following message errors (2 pics below)
    • Windows security "you are about to change the permission settings on the root directory of the startup disk which can result in unexpected access problems and reduced security, do you wan to continue?" Clicked "Yes"
    • Error Applying Security C:\hiberfil.sys "The process cannot access the file b/c it is being used by another process" clicked "Continue"
    • Error Applying Security C:\pagefile.sys "The process cannot access the file b/c it is being used by another process" clicked "Continue"
    • Error Applying Security C:\Program Files "Access Denied." clicked "continue"
    • behind the "Access denied" window: there's another window "Windows security" Setting security info on: C:\hp\Tonopah    clicked "Continue"
    • Error Applying Security " An error occurred while applying security info to: C:\Program Files (x86) "Access is Denied" clicked "continue"
    • Error Applying Security " An error occurred while applying security info to: C:\Windows "Access is Denied" clicked "continue"
    • Error Applying Security " An error occurred while applying security info to: C:\ "Access is Denied" clicked "continue"

Other Info:

• Turned off notifications from UAC
    • Have Macafee
    • 3 computers on a network, also have Network Attached Storage Device that I use for backup, etc.
    • Processor: AMD Athlon (tm) II X2 250 1.60 GHz
    • RAM: 4 GM (3.75 Usable)
    • 64-Bit Op System
    • HP Model MS225
    • Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 
    • No one uses this computer except me.
    • I don't want 4 different permissions or if they do exist, i want to maneuver through them smoothly.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:57 PM

Answers

• all these securities fuss are to help protect the owner, and it work as intended as part of the purposes, to prevent owner who dunno what they doing messing up the system.

unless you really need to touch those system files, which you should have good knowledge of them, and knowing what you are doing.

you really should not fool with those *.sys file, especially the pagefile.sys.

if you just want to recover disk space, there's this "disk cleanup" in the windows, look for it.

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:36 AM

All replies

• Does the machine join domain or work group

Monday, March 25, 2013 2:58 AM
  • all these securities fuss are to help protect the owner, and it work as intended as part of the purposes, to prevent owner who dunno what they doing messing up the system.

unless you really need to touch those system files, which you should have good knowledge of them, and knowing what you are doing.

you really should not fool with those *.sys file, especially the pagefile.sys.

if you just want to recover disk space, there's this "disk cleanup" in the windows, look for it.

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:36 AM
  • Hi Kelmen.  I'm relieved to finally find a recent post explaining my situation almost exactly.  I say almost, because I have the same problem, but NOT with a system file or folder, but a folder created by an installation of a driver for a popular database manufacturer that really loves java... :)

Now the specifics of the install package, software deployed, etc., are irrelevant to the problem at hand.  This is, IMHO, either windows related or perhaps (and I wouldn't doubt it), the work of some crazy Enterprise security package implemented by our Corporate IT department.

My setup:

Win7 Enterprise, 64 bit, current updates, in a domain.

I'm local admin on my box.

I'm the owner of the folder (C:\oracle\*).  Aw shucks, the cat's out of the bag.....

I have Full Control of the top folder and permissions are for "this folder, subfolders and files".

However, the issue revealed itself when I tried to perform an uninstall which resulted in permission denied errors.  

To solve this, trying to push full control for my account down again results in the exact errors illustrated by OP for subfolders/files.

This error occurs for many, many, many folders.  For each object I get the error on, if I look at that object's permissions, my user account is NOT explicitly mentioned, despite the "Inherited from" indicating inheritance.  Also, please note that, despite my account not being on these objects, the local Administrators group has full control (and is the owner), and I AM member of that group.  But that group membership doesn't seem to work.

Seeing this, I decided to push my ownership from the top again...  success.

Then I pushed my Full Control down.... success.

So, my question is, why does membership in the local administrators group NOT seem to allow either deletion or permissions changes of objects and sub-objects in bulk.  Why would someone have to change object ownership to their SPECIFIC user account to THEN be able to push Full Control for their account, to THEN be able to delete a set of objects that they should ALREADY HAVE OWNERSHIP and FULL CONTROL of by way of local admin group membership?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:25 AM
  • you should create separate thread to discuss your issue.

but try this post reply: http://superuser.com/questions/139841/access-denied-even-though-im-an-administrator

your issue is related to using explorer and UAC

To help prevent malicious software  from silently installing and causing  computer-wide infection, Microsoft  developed the UAC feature

and your issue is not exactly same as the thread starter, his problems are more about file being used by other process.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:35 AM