none
ASUS DRW-1608P2S DVD writer not accessible

Question

• I have installed Windows Home Premium. Device Manager sees my ASUS DRW-1608P2S DVD-RW, but it does not appear in My Computer and is therefore not accessible. Everything was OK before in Windows 7 RC. The ASUS now appears in Device Manager with a small exclamation mark with yellow background next to it. When I click on 'driver', I get he message 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)." The only driver listed is cdrom.sys in \system32\drivers. I have uninstalled the device, and Windows has found it again, but says it could not find drivers for the device. This is strange, because no special drivers were needed for this DVD RW in Windows 7 RC. When I try to upgrade the firmware, (as administrator, in XP compatibility mode etc etc) I get the message "available target is not found". Yet the DVD RW DOES appear in Device Manager, so Windows 7 at least knows of its existence. Any help would be appreciated, as everything else here is fine on this upgraded system.

PS The closest I got to a solution on looking around was advice to make some registry changes, but this was for Vista and XP only. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

This knowledge base (KB) article can be applied to Windows 7 as well. For your reference, I have included the modified steps below:

Suggestion 1: If you have installed any CD/DVD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Programs and Features".

Suggestion 2: Modify the Registry

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

Suggestion 3: Remove the DVD-ROM drive

===========================

1. Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.

2. Expand "DVD/CD-ROM drives".

3. Right click the DVD-ROM drive, and click "Uninstall".

Then, please restart the computer. Does the DVD-ROM work properly now?

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, November 13, 2009 1:50 AM
    Monday, November 09, 2009 8:33 AM