none
No NCSI pop-up behind a captive portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm using a PC with an up to date Windows 10. I'm connected to a captive portal network.

The DNS resolution of the URI www.msftconnecttest.com works and the GET of the URI "http://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt" is redirected to the portal captive login page.

However, the NCSI shows "Internet Access" and do not display the pop-up inviting the user to login himself to access Internet.

Can you please explain me why ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Benjamin

PS : sorry for my english.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.
    Have you installed AD interception software?
    Please check whether the following link is helpful:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/mobilebroadband/captive-portals 

Best Regards,
    Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Can you please explain what you mean by "AD interception software" ? 

I check the link but i didnt learn anything new and there is an error as the web page accessed by the NCSI in Windows 10 isn't www.msftncsi.com but www.msftconnecttest.com.
    • Edited by BenjaminDup Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:18 AM
    Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Anyone, please, got an idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, February 8, 2019 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you installed Advertisement interception software?

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 11, 2019 6:52 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I do have installed AdBlockPlus and Ublock on Chrome and Firefox.

Monday, February 11, 2019 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

These  Advertisement interception software may block pop-up page.

Please try to disable these two Advertisement interception software and check whether the issue still exist.

Or you can try to set the Internet Explorer as the default browser and check whether the issue still exist.

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried to set Internet Explorer as the default browser but the NCSI didn't showed the pop-up nor autoaticaly open Internet Explorer to display the captive portal login page.

I also have disabled AD-Block on firefox (previous default browser), and i have got the same results.

Regards,

Benjamin

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you try to use another PC to do a test?

Best Regards,

Eric

Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

An other PC with Windows 7 does show the NCSI popup correctly.

Regards,

Ben

Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

This issue might occur, when some of the system files got corrupted.

I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Perform System File Checker (SFC) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Run DISM commands and check if it helps. 

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a new command line tool that you can use to service a Windows image or prepare a Windows PE image. The DISM tool replaces the Package Manager (pkgmgr.exe), PEimg, and Intlcfg tools. DISM consolidates the functionality found in those three tools, as well as delivers new functionality to improve the experience of offline servicing.

Follow the steps to Run DISM Commands:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Eric

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay, i was on vacation.

The solution above did not solve my problem. FYI, it's a fresh install of Windows 10.

Regards,

Benjamin

Friday, March 1, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I suggest you to create a new account to check whether the issue still exist.

You can refer to the following link about how to create a new account.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-problem-pop-up-menus-not/8a116851-8c6e-43c1-a398-f9980ff6f917

Best Regards,

Eric

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Eric

Thursday, March 7, 2019 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried to use a diffrent account on the same PCs but still has the same problem.

Regards,

Benjamin

Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:26 AM