none
Software tools to repair Windows Server 2016 are not listed as supporting this OS Version? RRS feed

All replies

• HI SH solutions
    I am sorry ,I haven't set email alert.
    I think your issue is caused by  "CSI Payload Corruption: 10"
    1 Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter like windows 10 step, and then select Open or Save in the pop-up window. run the "Windows Update Troubleshooter" tool, can it solve your issue ?
    Fix Windows Update errors
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

2 if the step 1 can not help you ,did you have windows server essentials 2016 Dell OEM iso ?  (it is very important to solve the issue)?
    if you have ,you can try to do below solution .

"Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. To do this, run the following command instead:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    Note: Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image."

for example your windows server essentials 2016 Dell OEM iso is unzipped to drive G: 
    we can run below command(open as admin) on wse2016
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 4, 2019 9:24 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 6:43 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Good afternoon Andy,

Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate that.  The server is installing an update at the moment, but I will try those steps tomorrow and will report back.

Thank you very much!

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:59 PM
  • HI
    OK, I hope everything goes well.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 3:02 AM
  • Thank you again for your help.  I ran through step 1 and got the following:

It seems that it recognizes the issue (which looks like what you think it is), but doesn't fix it?

I also noticed that the server has 59.9 GB allocated for the C Drive but it's showing as only have 4.10 GB free.  I have installed nothing but SQL Server, so is this normal?  Though I still have space on the drive (and the backups aren't going there clearly), could this be causing any of these issues?  I figured I would ask.

Is there a way to make the C partition larger if need be?

As for option 2, no recovery media came with the machine and I don't see a recovery partition.  I will reach out to Dell and ask.  I could also create installation media.

BUT, I don't have a way of backing up my server or settings, so I am hesitate to lose everything...

Thank you again for your help.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:57 PM
  • HI
    "I also noticed that the server has 59.9 GB allocated for the C Drive but it's showing as only have 4.10 GB free.  I have installed nothing but SQL Server, so is this normal?"
    3 in general ,when we first finish installing wse2016 ,there is a "server folders" in c partition like picture , I am not sure if you have moved the server folders to other drive partition ?

4 if you have moved "server folders" to other drive partition ,i think your current disk capacity condition is not normal .in general,it will be less than 40GB ,can you right click the each folder in root directory of C disk partition then check which folder consume more C disk capacity?then check the sub folder capacity of problematical root folder ?
    5 can you clean the Empty the recycle bin then check again ?

6 Is there a way to make the C partition larger if need be?
    yes,but we need to find which folders are abnormal large .
    7 "I will reach out to Dell and ask.  I could also create installation media."
    yes ,we can contact Dell support to send the iso to you. it is very important.
    8 "BUT, I don't have a way of backing up my server or settings, so I am hesitate to lose everything..."
    yes.if you have third party software to backup your server ,it is problem indeed.but i not hear that running below command will lost everything.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, October 13, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Thank you very much for your help.  I checked the size of each folder on the C drive and wrote it next to it in this picture here:

The Program Files directories are all Windows and SQL programs.

ServerFolders is on the D drive.  The OEM files are on the D drive as well.

Looking at the files here, I didn't see anything that seemed strange, but please let me know if you do.

Thank you again!

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:11 PM
  • HI
    9 “I also noticed that the server has 59.9 GB allocated for the C Drive but it's showing as only have 4.10 GB free.”
    from your picture the total usage capactiy is about 38GB but where 17.8 G is used ?
    can you give a picture like below picture 1 and find large file ? 
    59.9-4.1-38 ≈17.8GB
    5 by the way ,have you 
    clean the Empty the recycle bin ? 
    10 what's capacity about virtual page file setting like picture 2

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 10:21 AM
  • HI
    9 “I also noticed that the server has 59.9 GB allocated for the C Drive but it's showing as only have 4.10 GB free.”
    from your picture the total usage capactiy is about 38GB but where 17.8 G is used ?
    can you give a picture like below picture 1 and find large file ? 
    59.9-4.1-38 ≈17.8GB
    5 by the way ,have you 
    clean the Empty the recycle bin ? 
    10 what's capacity about virtual page file setting like picture 2

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thank you for getting back to me.  I am sorry it took me so long to get you the info you requested, but the server was installing an update at the end of last week and I figured it would mess with the information you needed.  In fact, I've noticed windows updates dramatically affect the space used on the drive.

I have cleared the recycle bin.  I don't generally have anything in there.

Here are the pictures you wanted.

Thank you again for your help.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:37 PM
  • HI
    11 have you got windows server essentials 2016 Dell OEM iso from Dell support ?
    General Support Phone Numbers
    https://www.dell.com/support/contactus/us/en/04/contactus/dynamic?lwp=rt

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:28 AM
  • I'll contact Dell tomorrow and see if I can get that.

Will the Windows recovery drive not work?

Also, this server is set up and everything.  Will this reset any of our settings?

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:49 PM
  • HI
    In general ,there is dell oem factory backup in hidden partition ,but when we recovery it ,all data will be removed.so this is not what we want.
    I not hear that running below command will lost everything. we only use the system file in dell oem iso to fix corrupt system file in current wse2016.
    there is a document for your reference.
    [FIX] DISM Error 0x800f081f, The Source Files Could Not Be Found
    https://www.kapilarya.com/dism-error-0x800f081f-the-source-files-could-not-be-found-windows-10

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:39 AM
  • HI
    In general ,there is dell oem factory backup in hidden partition ,but when we recovery it ,all data will be removed.so this is not what we want.
    I not hear that running below command will lost everything. we only use the system file in dell oem iso to fix corrupt system file in current wse2016.
    there is a document for your reference.
    [FIX] DISM Error 0x800f081f, The Source Files Could Not Be Found
    https://www.kapilarya.com/dism-error-0x800f081f-the-source-files-could-not-be-found-windows-10

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

I talked to Dell and they are going to mail me out the ISO disk.  I will let you know once I get it.

Thank you again for all of your help!
    Friday, November 1, 2019 4:52 PM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply ,I hope it will help you to solve the issue.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:04 AM
  • HI
    Thanks for your reply ,I hope it will help you to solve the issue.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

They had to mail out the disc and I received it yesterday.  How do I use this to repair the issue in Windows Server Essentials without overwriting the server settings, etc.?  It's set up and working other than this backup issue.

Thank you very much for your help!

Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:05 PM
  • HI
    we can try to do below solution .

"Important: When you run this command, DISM uses Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix corruptions. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, use a running Windows installation as the repair source, or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share or from a removable media, such as the Windows DVD, as the source of the files. To do this, run the following command instead:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    Note: Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source. For more information about using the DISM tool to repair Windows, reference Repair a Windows Image."

for example your windows server essentials 2016 Dell OEM iso is unzipped to drive G: 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, November 8, 2019 10:00 AM
  • HI
    we can try to do below solution .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thank you again for your help.  I copied the contents of the disc to a thumb drive and directed this to the location of these files and got this message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\WSE2016\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.3241

Image Version: 10.0.14393.3241

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>

I did confirm that the location was correct.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 5:52 PM
  • HI
    12 dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:H:\sources\install.wim
    run below command on wse2016 and check the index number 

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\WSE2016\sources\install.wim
    if the index number is 2, we need to replace it.
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:X:\sources\install.wim:IndexNumber /LimitAccess

there are other documents for your reference.
    How to fix DISM 0x800f081f Error in Windows 10/8 (Solved)
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-dism-0x800f081f-error-in-windows-10-8/

FIX: Windows Defender Feature Installation Failed–Source files could not be found in Server 2016 (Solved)
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-defender-feature-installation-failed-source-files-could-not-be-found-in-server-2016/

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:01 AM
  • HI
    12 dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:H:\sources\install.wim
    run below command on wse2016 and check the index number 

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\WSE2016\sources\install.wim
    if the index number is 2, we need to replace it.
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:X:\sources\install.wim:IndexNumber /LimitAccess

there are other documents for your reference.
    How to fix DISM 0x800f081f Error in Windows 10/8 (Solved)
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-dism-0x800f081f-error-in-windows-10-8/

FIX: Windows Defender Feature Installation Failed–Source files could not be found in Server 2016 (Solved)
    https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-defender-feature-installation-failed-source-files-could-not-be-found-in-server-2016/

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

I deleted my prior message because I realized I had an error in the command, but I just fixed it and got the same result:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\WSE2016\sources\install.wim

Details for image : F:\WSE2016\sources\install.wim

Index : 1
    Name : Windows Server 2016 Essentials
    Description : This option is useful when a GUI is required—for example, to provide backward compatibility for an application that cannot be run on a Server Core installation. All server roles and features are supported. For more details see "Windows Server Installation Options."
    Size : 20,905,120,855 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:F:\WSE2016\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

C:\Windows\system32>

I keep searching online as well and don't see anything that seems relevant to my issue.  Everyone else seems to have success here.

Thank you again for all of your help, I truly do appreciate it.

Friday, November 15, 2019 7:23 PM