none
Deleted Documents Library

Question

• While changing the icons on my computer, I accessed C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries and dragged the Documents onto Notepad.  I changed the icon # in the <iconReference>path to icon ,-icon# </iconReference> line to another icon # in the imageres.dll, saved it in Notepad, checked that it had changed, then cleared Notepad in preparation of changing the Pictures icon.  After I had changed the Pictures Library icon and saved it, I went to close Notepad and got a message asking if I wanted to save the changes made to Documents.  I forgot that I had cleared that info off Notepad and said yes to saving it.  Now, I have Documents showing in that Library, but it has no size to it and when I try to access it, I get the message that "Documents.library-ms is no longer working.  This library can be safely deleted from your computer.  Folders that have been included will not be affected."   What was in that library and how important is it to my system?  How do I go about reloading it or rebuilding it?  I tried System Restore already and was unable to change the problem.

The steps I used can be found at this link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3011-libraries-icons-change.html?filter[2]=Appearance%20Personalize

Steps 1, 2, 3, 4, 6a, 6b, and 7, but instead of closing Notepad, I cleared the content and then dragged the Pictures icon onto Notepad.

Using Windows 7, 64-bit, Build 7100
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 3:21 AM

Answers

• Okay, got it fixed, and it was so simple!

First, the long and complicated way:

1. Created new user account.
    2. Went into C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries and dragged Documents onto a Notepad. 
    3. Saved Notepad into a secondary hard drive I have.
    4. Switched back to my usual user account, went to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries and dragged Documents onto a Notepad.
    5. Opened the saved Notepad from my secondary hard drive and copy/pasted info into the opened Documents Notepad.
    6. Saved and quit Notepad.  Voila!

While checking that it was all and good, I found the following link:  "Learn more about libraries" which I promptly clicked on since I was over my heart attack.  This is in one of the articles I found:

"If you delete a library, the library itself is moved to the Recycle Bin. The files and folders that were accessible in the library are stored elsewhere and therefore aren't deleted. If you accidentally delete one of the four default libraries (Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos), you can restore it to its original state in the navigation pane by right-clicking Libraries and then clicking Restore default libraries ."

Okay, now I really feel like an idiot! 
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 4:04 AM

All replies

• Okay, got it fixed, and it was so simple!

First, the long and complicated way:

1. Created new user account.
    2. Went into C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries and dragged Documents onto a Notepad. 
    3. Saved Notepad into a secondary hard drive I have.
    4. Switched back to my usual user account, went to C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries and dragged Documents onto a Notepad.
    5. Opened the saved Notepad from my secondary hard drive and copy/pasted info into the opened Documents Notepad.
    6. Saved and quit Notepad.  Voila!

While checking that it was all and good, I found the following link:  "Learn more about libraries" which I promptly clicked on since I was over my heart attack.  This is in one of the articles I found:

"If you delete a library, the library itself is moved to the Recycle Bin. The files and folders that were accessible in the library are stored elsewhere and therefore aren't deleted. If you accidentally delete one of the four default libraries (Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos), you can restore it to its original state in the navigation pane by right-clicking Libraries and then clicking Restore default libraries ."

Okay, now I really feel like an idiot! 
    Wednesday, July 01, 2009 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

We are glad to hear that your problem is resolved by yourself. What's more, we really appreciate you for sharing your experience in this forum, this would help a lot of community users who comes across the same issue.

By the way, welcome to keep using Microsoft TechNet Forum. If you have any concern in the future, please feel free to let us know, and we will try our best to help you. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:03 AM
  • I have a similar problem, however, it has never worked.  I think it was caused when I initially installed Windows 7 with not enough space on the partition.  Is there a way a can get the files to satisfy and keep the error from happening?
    Thanks
    cubittti
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Opps!  I simply deleted the troubled library and created a new one.  You can do so by right clicking, new library.  Then when you double click the first time you can select folder(s).
    Rgds
    cubittti
    • Proposed as answer by cubittti Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:22 PM
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Hi!

i have the same problem and these simple steps worked for me :)
       1. Open My Computer, Select Library from Left Menu and deleted the troubled one (Documents library) 
       2. Right click on library and Create a new library with the same name and ADD folder and it worked for me

Regards
    • Proposed as answer by themage Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:21 AM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:20 AM