none
Installing Security Monthly Quality Rollup fails - KB4019264 Code 8000FFFF RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 Pro 64bit machine and this update keeps failing with the error code 8000FFFF. 

Please help.

Sunday, May 28, 2017 4:52 AM

All replies

• 0x8000FFFF is an unexpected error

Are you on a server or a domain?

View windows updates history and report the date of the last successful windows update.

Copy and paste the following commands into notepad and save as a txt file.  Then rename and change .txt to .bat

Net stop bits
    Net stop wuauserv
    Net stop appidsvc
    Net stop cryptsvc
    Del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat /Q
    Del "%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat" /Q
    Del %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\*.* /s /Q
    Net start bits
    Net start wuauserv
    Net start appidsvc
    Net start cryptsvc

Then copy and paste the bat file into administrative command prompt.

After the above attempt windows updates.

If this update is successful then the troubleshooting is complete.

If the update still fails after all of the above steps then perform these steps:

Open administrative command prompt and run:

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Then place your computer in clean boot:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Then perform a manual update from the Microsoft catalog:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4019264

If the windows update still fails open administrative command prompt and run:  chkdsk /x /f /r

Plan to run this overnight as it may take many hours to complete.

In case the updates still fail please report all steps that were performed, the results for each step, and any errors encountered.

These are the planned troubleshooting steps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2509997/you-can-t-install-updates-on-a-windows-based-computer

Sunday, May 28, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any error codes recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, Setup, System)?

Please run the command “sfc /scannow” with administrator right to check the health of system files. 

Perform a Clean Boot  and manually update again.
    Try to disable firewall and antivirus temporarily.

To troubleshoot the issue deeply, please check the Windowsupdate.log(C:\Windows) and CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) for detailed information.

If you have troubles in analyzing log files, please upload them to OneDrive and paste the link here.

Bests,

Joy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 29, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Ok, I've tried all of the recommended steps but the update still fails.  Here's what I tried:

1) BAT file

2) SFC /scannow --> no problems found

3) Clean Boot and manual update from Microsoft Update catalog

4) Checkdisk

I looked in the event viewer and not much help there, it just shows the same error message.  I also tried to look at the CBS.log file but it's 140 Mb in size so that's quite large to open in Notepad. 

Any other ideas?

Sunday, June 4, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Ok, I've tried all of the recommended steps but the update still fails.  Here's what I tried:

1) BAT file

2) SFC /scannow --> no problems found

3) Clean Boot and manual update from Microsoft Update catalog

4) Checkdisk

I looked in the event viewer and not much help there, it just shows the same error message.  I also tried to look at the CBS.log file but it's 140 Mb in size so that's quite large to open in Notepad. 

Any other ideas?

Sunday, June 4, 2017 3:07 PM
  • Hi Gilbert !

Same error on a fresh new installed Windows7 :-)

( no problem with SFC /scannow )

Just to help me troubleshooting, do you have another operating system in dual boot such as linux ?

Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:58 PM
  • > And for reading large files you can use Atom editor or Notepad++. There are free and open source tools
    Sunday, June 4, 2017 6:02 PM
  • For the most part nobody reads any of the huge logs:  cbs, dism, setuperr.log etc.  Instead the analysis is looking for specific key words and then the rows related to those related to those words.  It often takes a lot of time to analyze the logs.  Occasionally there is row that leads to a quick fix.  More often it is trial and error.

Have you attempted to manually  install the failed update while in clean boot using the Microsoft catalog?

Do you have any repair media for windows 7?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista,-windows-7,-windows-server-2008-windows-server-2008-r2

Monday, June 5, 2017 1:07 AM
  • A manual update in Clean Boot also failed. I do have Windows 7 media and at this point it may just be faster to reload the OS and re-install the apps.
    Monday, June 5, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Hi GibertF,

"A manual update in Clean Boot also failed"

Does the error code same with before? If not, please send me the error message or error code.

"I do have Windows 7 media and at this point it may just be faster to reload the OS and re-install the apps"If you want to re-install your Windows 7 with the media, try to update your Windows to the latest after re-install. The latest version could give your the strongest protect and better user experience.  

For CBS.log, it is often larger than other logs. It will record the actions such as enumerate, install, update, and uninstall component packages. So it is necessary for analyzing the update failure. 

Bests,

Joy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1:47 AM
  • I ended up opening a support case with Microsoft.  After some troubleshooting, the tech fixed it by doing the following:

1) system update readiness tool - download and install  kb947821  - checks for corruption and tries to fix the corruption.  this also generates a log file that can be found at c:\windows\logs\cbs\checksur.log

2) Install kb 4022719 (June rollup update)  - this includes the other update that was failing.

Microsoft also said that if I face update issue in the future I should go to the official Windows 7 update history website and install the latest rollup update.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009469/windows-7-sp1-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

At first Microsoft tech ran a couple of other commands:

dism /online /get-packages /format:table > 1.txt 

The tech looked in this file for things labeled "staged" or "not present".  He said I would need to remove any of these packages using this command:

dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7601.23797.1.3

Then he was getting some error messages when he was trying to remove these packages.  That's when he decided to use the Windows Update Readiness tool and also install the latest Rollup update.

Saturday, June 17, 2017 5:10 AM
  • That's great, glad to hear that your issue has been resolved  and thanks for your sharing on this case.

Please mark your post as answered so that others who may encounter the similar issue as yours can find the solution more efficiently in this thread.

Have a nice day.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 1:41 AM
    Owner