none
no biometric devices in control panel

Question

• I have upgraded my Dell Latitude D630 from Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I have both a "security devices" and "biometric devices" in device manager but no "biometric devices" shows up in control panel to allow me to attempt to logon with the fingerprint reader. What am I missing?
    thanks
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hai,
    I think you may install the required program for biometric device supplied by Dell along with PC, inorder to get an icon at control panel

regards from www.windowsadmin.info
    ManuPhilip
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

I have checked the DELL site, and found there is no Windows 7 driver for D630:

Latitude D630

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

As we know, to make a device work properly, a proper driver is needed. Since there is no Windows 7 driver, alternatively, please try the Windows Vista driver and software for this device with Compatibility Mode and see how it works. Meanwhile, it is also recommended that you contact DELL for help.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, October 23, 2009 10:41 AM
  • I downloaded the latest driver from: http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/drivers/windows.asp

I installed the driver, disabled and reenabled the device, it shows up in "device manager" (version 1.9.2.155), it shows up in control panel, "devices and printers" as a "biometric coprocessor" but I still don't see a "biometric devices" in control panel.

Still looking for answers.
    thanks
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Have you tried using the Dell Vista software for the bio metric part, this can sometimes work. Worth a try.
    http://www.unwindsoftware.com/blog/
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:37 PM
  • Based on this article: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=488

the biometric input should be a part of the OS, no third party app needed!

Friday, October 23, 2009 8:14 PM
  • According to this article it should just be a part of the OS(?):  http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=488

Friday, October 30, 2009 6:05 PM
  • I have upgraded my Dell Latitude D630 from Vista 64 Ultimate to Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I have both a "security devices" and "biometric devices" in device manager but no "biometric devices" shows up in control panel to allow me to attempt to logon with the fingerprint reader. What am I missing?
    thanks

I have the same issue with a Fujitsu T2010 using Windows 7 Enterprise.  All the devices show up in the device manager, but no Biometric Devices in the control panel.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:22 AM
    thanks

I have the same issue with a Fujitsu T2010 using Windows 7 Enterprise.  All the devices show up in the device manager, but no Biometric Devices in the control panel.

(LarryS56, I apologize for piggybacking your post, but I'm sure any support given would help you too.)

More info for anyone who would be nice enough to help troubleshoot this.

Under Windows Help and Support, I searched for "biometric devices" and clicked on "Can I use a fingerprint reader with Windows?".  The first page has a link to launch this missing Biometric Devices control panel.   In it, it states - Windows did not find any biometric devices on this computer...", but my device does show up both in the "Device Manager" and "Devices and Printers".

Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:30 AM
  • Same here with a HP DV8-1000
    All is well in the device manager, but it doesn't show up in the control panel.

I reinstalled my OS (win7 ultimate in stead of win 7 home premiere)
    I really would like to see a sollution to this problem!
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Anyone figure anything out on this?

Friday, December 18, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Hey Larry,

I had exactly the same problem with my Fujitsu T4220's AuthenTec fingerprint reader and not being able to see "Biometric Devices" in the Win7 control panel despite it being present in "Devices Manager" and the "Devices and Printers" page of the Control Panel.  What worked for me was uninstalling the device from Device Manager (with the "delete driver software for this device" checked).  Then scan for hardware changes, and windows should reinstall the drivers for you.  After installation is successful, go back to Control Panel and you should find "Biometric Devices" under "Hardware and Sound".

Hope it works for anybody else here with the same problem too.

Huey
    • Proposed as answer by Brad Thurber Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:37 PM
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:44 AM
  • I tried the above, removed the fingerprint reader from devmgmt (checked "delete driver"), scanned for hardware chanages, Windows update installed new driver but still no joy in control panel. The fingerprint reader shows up in both devmgmt and control panel | devices and printers but there is NO biometric devices in control panel. It would be nice if someone from either Microsoft or Dell would comment on the capability of this driver, if it is actually supposed to do what the previous article alluded to.
    thanks
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:15 PM
  • I had the same issue in which I didn't see the "Biometric devices" icon in the control panel. It was resolved after I installed a third-party FP management application.(not the device driver) WBFIntro (http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/WBFIntro.docx) guide states that Windows 7 will not include an inbox FMA or enrollment experience. Maybe, this is a reason why the option wasn't available before installing the FMA.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I uninstalled the device through Device Manager (and checked "delete the driver software for this device") and rebooted. After rebooting windows reinstalled the correct driver software and it appeared in the Biometric Devices control panel.

• Proposed as answer by Mikhail Titov Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mikhail Titov Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:37 PM
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Hey Larry,

I had exactly the same problem with my Fujitsu T4220's AuthenTec fingerprint reader and not being able to see "Biometric Devices" in the Win7 control panel despite it being present in "Devices Manager" and the "Devices and Printers" page of the Control Panel.  What worked for me was uninstalling the device from Device Manager (with the "delete driver software for this device" checked).  Then scan for hardware changes, and windows should reinstall the drivers for you.  After installation is successful, go back to Control Panel and you should find "Biometric Devices" under "Hardware and Sound".

Huey

I can confirm that the solution works fine with DELL M6500, Win7U x64 and UPEK Stripe FP. Just close Control Panel and reopen after installation (F5 did not work).

Cheers,

Alex

Monday, May 31, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Did the delete device and remove software on an HP 8530 and it did the trick.

Thanks

Monday, July 05, 2010 9:37 PM
  • i have the same problem maybe i should try that to
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:16 AM
  • Hi,

It's worked for me as well on my HP nx6325. Thanks.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

I have an HP nc6320 and the fix didn't work for me.

The driver installed but the system still searching the pre-configured  drivers

folder. Still nothing in Biometric Control Panel area.

Any help is appreciated

Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Yeah this isn't a "Fix"

Just reinstalled (Win 7 x64) my HP8540W... the Biometric device doesn't appear in the Control Panel... no matter how many times I uninstall, reinstall the drivers. Even tried updating the drivers for the "unknown" device from the swsetup. Gonna restorec my HP images and see if its there or not...

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:20 PM
  • This is absurd - this problem seems to be all over the Internet.  Tons of people, regardless of their fingerprint reader models, are having this precise problem.  The reader appears to be recognized correctly as a biometric device, but Windows 7 nonetheless refuses to provide the Biometric Devices Control Panel applet.

Is there some way to forcibly call up the applet or register the reader with it?  I mean, seriously, Microsoft, come on.  This is pathetic.  I hate to be angry on my first post, but the reason this has to be my first post is because no one from Microsoft seems to be offering any sort of solution despite the vast and obvious need.

Any help?  Anyone?

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:11 PM
  • this is a nightmare: i tried all available solutions i could find with this hp4520s notebook:

-reinstall driver

-reinstall hp protecttools (which didn't work, it quits with error 1001)

-gpedit.msc disable use of biometric devices

now the devicemanager show the damn thing, but neither hp protecttools works anymore, nor does win7 recognise the reader...

I just want to disable this and forget about it, i won't be needing it anyway!

Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:03 AM
  • What worked for me was uninstalling the device from Device Manager (with the "delete driver software for this device" checked).  Then scan for hardware changes, and windows should reinstall the drivers for you.  After installation is successful, go back to Control Panel and you should find "Biometric Devices" under "Hardware and Sound".

Yes, thankyou, this worked on my HP/Compaq 8710w.

Simon.

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:06 PM
  • I have Elitebook 6930p and I have tried uninstalling and redownloading the programs from hp.com. In my control panel there is no Biometric device. it acts like I have no fingerprint reader. I downloaded the authentec driver but nothing happens.  I downloaded the protect tool but i cant register my finger. Its says that I dont have the fingerprint device or it is not connected.  I swipe my fingers and nothing happens. There is no wizard opening up on my screen.  I am so so so frustrated. Plz help.  I have windows vista 32 bit.  So if there is any info plz help.
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 3:10 PM
  • This thread has a link to a Validity driver package that solved the problem on my EliteBook 8540w.

http://www.validityinc.com/post.aspx?id=142

Josh

Thursday, January 05, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Hi I tried everything but unfortunately nothing worked.

i got dv6-6156ea laptop and my fingerprint reader also doesn't shows up as it used to. i have windows 7 with 64-bit and i also downloaded digital person and that wasn't helpful either. i also update my validity sensor but that didn't help as well. I restarted my pc and press f2 and clicked on Bios Management but there isn't any version of it there. so i downloaded the Bios software of the hp website but that didn't help either and is there is any soloution for this?  My light also doesn't show up for the fingerprint reader.

Any help will be appreciated.

Muhammad

Friday, January 06, 2012 10:43 PM
  • Thanks Josh -
    Good call.  This worked for me.  HP EliteBook 2540p with Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (64-bit)

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Thanks Larry, this worked for me perfectly and I've also used it for a colleague.
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:13 AM
  • Hi all:

For authentec readers, I found the solution on the reader's official web site.

Go http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Windows/Drivers.aspx#LiveTabsContent38993 

and download the Windows Biometric Framework Driver WBF driver.

• Proposed as answer by Seán Byrne Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:11 PM
    Saturday, September 08, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Thanks Pixelxx, this worked on my Fujitsu laptop which has an Authentec reader.  I originally tried uninstalling & reinstalling the device driver as well as getting the driver from Fujitsu's website, but all this did was result in the device showing up in Device Manager, but not the control panel.  However, once I installed the WBF driver, it showed up in the control panel.

When I went into its configuration in the control panel for the first time, it also asked me to install its TrueSuite starter package, which it shows the download page automatically.  Once installed, it's now possible to go through the fingerprint enrollment process.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:18 PM
  • It did work with Lenovo Idepad U460 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I had driver installed originally but there was no biometric menu. Only after removing device along with uninstalling the driver magic happened.
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:36 PM
  • I fingered it out (see what I did there?). Open up Services (don't know how? Just type it in the Windows search in the start menu) and look for the service named "Secondary Logon." Mine was set to manual, I set it to "Automatic." Lo and behold, I was able to finally enroll my stubby fingers to log in to Windows. This should be defaulted to automatic I think, I am not sure as the PC I am configuring the device on is my work laptop, therefore, it may be a case where it was set that way on the corporate OS images. Hope this helps some of you out there!
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Hey Larry,

Huey

Thanks Huey. That did help get the biometrics to finally come up in Control Panel, but I still had issues and resolved it in my previous post on this thred. Thanks again.
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 5:51 PM