none
Vista Anytime Upgrade - Unable to Upgrade

General discussion

• The notebook is an HP 6716b AMD Dual Core 64 bit processor, 2GB memory, with pre-installed Vista Business Edition (64 bit) and Office 2007 (Medialess install). Business Edition (64 bit) working OK and Office Professional activated and working.

I need Media Centre, so purchased Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate edition (64 bit). The upgrade fails at a consistent point 66% into final completing set-up - BSOD Stop x'7B', machine just re-boots and the only recovery that works is to go back to Business Edition. (I was unable to get support form Microsoft without a code, but although it is a legal anytime upgrade at this stage the code is not displayed anywhere). I have tried various drivers, various configurations but never able to get past the first 'set-up boot'.

Did a clean install from the Anytime Upgrade disk and it worked first time. Vista Ultimate Edition worked fine and Media Centre provided exactly the function I needed. However although I was able to re-install most of the programs I needed, and re-establish settings, I was not able to re-activate Office 2007 (files copied to old.windows, but no way to start-up and activate again - that I could find). This means I have had to go back to Business Edition again and re-establish all my settings. I would prefer the Anytime Upgrade to do what it says and upgradfe, but can work around it if able to re-install/activate Office 2007.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Thank you for the post.

If you would like to activate Office 2007, you can contact our Activation Center 888-571-2048 for direct assistance.

If you prefer to using Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade the system, I’d like to say there may exists software or hardware incompatibility.

The 0x7B Stop error usually indicates the current hard disk lack compatible drivers. I suggest first contacting the hard disk manufacturer to confirm if it needs an additional driver to install Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Meanwhile, you can try the following suggestions to check if there exist other factors to cause the error.

Suggestion 1: Clean Boot before Upgrading

=============================

1.   Click Start, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled during the troubleshooting, we can re-enable them later. If there appears System Configuration Utility , check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

Suggestion 2: Device Clean Boot before Upgrading

=================================

Please unplug all unnecessary devices to test your computer's performance. In this situation, your system will only run the basic hardware devices and it will be more stable.

If the issue persists, please let me know the exact wording of the error message on blue screen. Does the blue screen mention the system crash on a certain file?

If you prefer to finding the cause of the blue screen, please understand to troubleshoot this type of issue, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:00 AM
  • The problem is that I have a working Vista 64-bit Business Edition. The error only occurs when I do an Upgrade from  Anytime Upgrade, clean install works. Clean install removes any other installed software, including Office 2007. I am able to re-install the software succesfully, but do not have any materials to re-install Office 2007 in oredr to activate it.

The solution I am looking for is either :-

1) A working Anytime Upgrade

2) Re-instatement of Office 2007 (there are backup files in old.windows under 'program files' etc, but no instructions of what needs to be run to re-install/activate.

Chris

p.s. The machine is a 6715b

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:35 AM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the current situation, I suggest we focus on the Windows Anytime Upgrade failure.

As you have already preformed many operations on the computer, I recommend you back up your important files and then restore the system to its factory settings. Thus, we will get a clean system environment and decrease interference.

After that, please try the Clean Boot and Device Clean Boot steps in my previous post. Then let’s use Windows Anytime Upgrade to install Windows Vista Ultimate again.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, November 16, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Tim,

There is little hardware to disconnect as it is a Notebook. Will try procedeures you suggest over the weekend. I did some further diagnosis to get the Stop 7b error info, normally it flashes by too quickly to see. The code is :-

0x0000007B (0xFFFFF98004089E0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000004 - rest zeros)

does this help narrow down the problem - is there something specific I can do to get round this? I note there is no way of adding drivers to the Upgrade option, only the Clean Boot - although I did not have to add any for the Clean install to work correctly first time.

Chris

Friday, November 16, 2007 11:36 AM

• Clean Boot did not make any diference - still BSOD Stop x'7B'

To correct previous post the message contents were

0x0000007B 0xFFFFF980004079E0,  0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000 0x0000000000000000

Chris
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 1:40 PM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Please understand that the "Stop: 0x0000007B" error message indicates that Windows Vista or Windows Vista setup cannot access the hard disk that contains the Windows Vista startup files. Typically, this Stop error occurs when Windows Vista cannot locate a compatible driver for the disk controller device.

You may also receive this error message if one or more of the following conditions are true:

The hard disk is faulty.

The hard disk cabling is faulty, or the hard disk cabling is not connected correctly.

The computer is infected with a boot sector virus.

The computer BIOS or the disk controller firmware are incompatible with Windows Vista.

Another program is using the master boot record.

As the error code appears when you try to upgrade to Windows Vista, it can also mean that Windows Vista does not include a compatible driver for the disk controller device or the driver that was used in the previous operating system is incompatible with Windows Vista . Therefore, the driver cannot be reassembled and migrated in Windows Vista.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Troubleshooting Stop error messages that may occur when you try to install Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935806/en-us

Based on the current situation, I would like to confirm if you have restored the system to its factory settings before upgrading to Windows Vista. If not, please have a try first. If the error still occurs after restoring the system to its factory settings, the issue is mainly caused by the incompatible hard disk. As we are not the best source to resolve the hardware issue, I recommend you contact HP for more information. Thank your for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 19, 2007 8:59 AM
  • Tim,

I can confirm that I have restored the laptop to factory default.

It appears we are starting to get somewhere. Now the problem I have is that if I do an Anytime Upgrade - Clean Install, it works - no other drivers are added (F6 option of clean install).

The current driver is in use for Vista Business Edition (64-bit) with no problems.

Does this not indicate a 'bug' in the Anytime Upgrade process?

Chris

Monday, November 19, 2007 10:22 AM
  •  

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

I fully understand that the current situation can be frustrating.

This error often results from a boot device failure. During I/O system initialization, the boot device driver might have failed to initialize the boot device (typically a hard disk). File system initialization might have failed because it did not recognize the data on the boot device. Also, repartitioning the system partition or installing a new SCSI adapter or disk controller might induce this error.

This error can also result from incompatible disk hardware. If the error occurred at the initial setup of the system, the system might have been installed on an unsupported disk or SCSI controller. Some controllers are supported only by drivers that are in the Windows Driver Library (WDL), which requires the user to perform a custom installation.

At the current situation, I suggest checking disks before upgrading the sysetm

If the issue still occurs, I recommend you contact HP to check the hard drive and other customizations performed by them.

If you would like to get better analysis of the blue screen issue, you can contact our Customer Support Service (CSS).

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Thank you for your understanding.

We always welcome customer feedback and thank you for providing us with your comments.  If you have any concerns regarding Microsoft products, please contact our customer service. We strive to capture any and all product issues/feedback so as to ensure we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet customer needs. You are welcome to add your comments to make Microsoft products easier and more powerful to use.

To submit additional product feedback, we recommend that you visit http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:21 AM
  • I have updated HP with the response, but am not hopeful of anything to help from that end.

My plan is now to do an Anytime Upgrade - Clean Install and re-load Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Trial. I will then activate the trial with the activation code I have already purchased. My hope is that I do not lose to many settings - I will make sure I have exported the Outlook settings in particular and backup the existing PST files.

Last time I did a clean install, it worked OK, so I still do not understand why the Upgrade option does not work as well.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:50 PM
  • Best plans etc. I cannot download the Office 2007 Trial and activate it with my legal activation code because the download is only available in the US and not the UK. I can restore the Program Files and Program Files x86, but this does not give me anyway to re-install (unless somebody can tell me different).

Chris

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:05 PM
  • I have managed to source a Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Trial now - so will do a clean install today and see if I can get the PC back together afterwards.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:43 AM
  •  

Hi Chris,

As this thread has been quiet for a while we will be changing the issue type to ‘Comment’.

If you wish to return to this question you can go ahead and change the type back to ‘Question’. Then you can edit your initial post and change the radio button at the top of the post editor window.

If the issue has been resolved, we’d love to hear your solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Tim:

I recently submitted a question to the Windows Vista Setup Forum entitled "Windows Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade will not Upgrade, it wants to perform a Clean Install."

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4833 (laptop) with Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium already installed.  I ordered the Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate for the advanced security features from the website active at the time.  After finally getting from Microsoft a version that included 64-bit product, I get the following:

At the point where the installation routine asks, "What type of installation do you want?", and my choices should be "Upgrade" or "Clean Install", the "Upgrade" choice is greyed-out, and not available.

At the bottom of the screen I get:

"Upgrade has been disabled.

- The Upgrade cannot be started.  To upgrade, cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are already running."

Which makes no sense, because the Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade I purchased IS more recent than the version I am running.

Will this Clean Boot procedure through MSCONFIG utility work for me here?  How to re-enable the disabled items later?

Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:49 AM