none
0x80030309 Error While Trying To Install Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 1-year old Lenovo Y510, C drive is NTFS formatted with about 12 GB free. When I insert W7 disc and select run as administrator, I get black screen saying setup is copying temporary files then about a second later the 0x8... error.  I can do this over and over. I burned another DVD of the image and have the same error with it.

Dave
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:28 PM

All replies

• I have a 1-year old Lenovo Y510, C drive is NTFS formatted with about 12 GB free. When I insert W7 disc and select run as administrator, I get black screen saying setup is copying temporary files then about a second later the 0x8... error.  I can do this over and over. I burned another DVD of the image and have the same error with it.
    Hi Dave

12GB free space is well below the minimum recommended 16GB for installing Windows 7. Is there anything else on the C: drive and how are you installing (clean install, upgrade over Vista?)

That error code comes back as:

0x80030309
    Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted.
    STG_E_CSS_SCRAMBLED_SECTOR

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:37 PM
  • I downloaded another copy of the RC and that gets me started.

I took the disc having the problem to another PC and it booted and installed W7 with no problem.

I also used PartitionMagic to enlarge my C: drive to 16 GB.

The problem now has shifted to Zone Alarm. The install keeps telling me to uninstall it then try again. Zone Alarm does not show up on the Program List, so how can it be uninstalled? I've deleted the Zone Alarm directory that used to be on my C: drive, removed the keys from the registry, deleted the Zone Alarm information from the Internet Logs file. I don't know where the setup program is checking, but somewhere it thinks there is a Zone Alarm program installed on my machine. Setup should have an option that allows one to bypass such messages.

Dave
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Just a thought, DO a search on "Removing Zone Alarm" it may point you to something that was left behind that the setup program is picking up on. A lot of uninstall's leave file's and reg entries behind and you'll never know about them until there is a conflict with another program. My Thought "If I'm having this issue then someone else before me had the same issue!" Doing a search can save you a lot of hair pulling and cussing.

Hope this helps,

Mike K

BTW Most sites I have read say 16gig is the min HDD space needed for WIN7, others say bump it to 19gig. If you ahve the space and are planning to really test this out with many programs make the partition a good 25-30gig that way you don't have an issue with updates (Miscrosoft) and other installed (WIN7 related) programs.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 1:02 AM
  • I misstated my space, I bumped it up by 16GB and am now sitting at 24GB free.

Thanks for the search tip. You think in your mind you've tried them all but I had not tried removing zone alarm. I see there's over a million hits, so I've got some reading to do.

Thanks for the help so far.  I'll keep you posted.

Dave
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:00 PM
  • i get the same error, but this error comes when i try to copy pro evolution soccer 2010 on windows seven,when i try to install pes 2010 on my pc i get a message "sector is encrypted".I used to get the same message on my XP.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 4:49 PM
  • This Error Come when you have Intel Processor or if you dont that also you can solve the problem by getting whole detail.You will see the DVD Work in your friend P.c But show error in your p.c .get the solution from here.Web site: yadvi.com/how-to-install-window-7-in-intel-processor

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 2:36 PM