none
Onedrive doing silly things. Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I'm a bit nervous about starting this because my OneDrive is behaving so strangely I'm not sure I can describe what's happening.

I'll start with the current symptoms. When I logged on to my account this morning, about 1 hour ago,  and did "properties" over the OneDrive icon it said there were over 15000 files. If I do it now it says 6188. The icon on the task bar shows it syncing and if I hover over that it says "processing 14,***" files - keeps changing. Number of files on OneDrive does not appear to be changing. Oh! It now says "processing 53 changes". Number of OneDrive files still at 6188. Checking the online OneDrive they appear to have been moved to the Recycle Bin.

I was first alerted to something odd yesterday when I received an email warning me that a lot of files had been deleted from OneDrive and if I wanted them back I had 30 days to retrieve them from the Recycle Bin. That was after logging unto a different machine. I decided to recover the files and it told me there were over 7000. The number of files in my OneDrive eventually went up to over 9000 and stopped there. That clearly wasn't all my files. I rebooted that machine and things seemed to stabilize, but when I checked back later the problems continued, similar to above.

I'm getting the impression that logging unto a user account triggers something but cannot be sure.

I'm going to try and recover this last set of files that seem to have been deleted.

That's odd, it says "1 item is currently being restored to your OneDrive" and the Recycle Bin is empty, but there were a hell of a lot of files in there. Why is it only recovering one of them? Number of files in my OneDrive has gone up to 7507. That's a lot less then the over 15000 I started with this morning. Wait though, its going up slowly, though hovering over the OneDrive icon is still saying "processing 53 changes". I'll wait a bit and see what it gets to.

I've just had a look at the online Recycle Bin and it says that "9127 files are currently being restored to your OneDrive". Where did they come from? Oh! That message has gone but there are still things in the Recycle Bin. After a wait, Number of files now stopped at 15,363 and recycle Bin empty.

So, am I back where I started?

I'll post this now.

If anyone can give me a clue as to how I can fathom what is going on I would be grateful.

Cheers, 
    Dave

Sunday, June 3, 2018 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Update - This morning I thought I would go around my machines and looking at the OneDrives.

Windows 10 - Files 15,363, Folders 3,258, Size 42.3GB, Size on disk 17.9GB

Windows 7 - Files 20,254, Folders 4,771, Size 44.1GB, Size on disk 44.2GB

Windows 10 - Files 9,445, Folders 1,704, Size 30.0GB, Size on disk 48.0KB

The first one is the system I was talking about in my original post. Hovering over the OneDrive icon on that system is still saying "processing 53 changes".

Note the Size on disk of the last one. It is KB

It looks as if there is something wrong with the current OneDrive for Windows 10. Only the Windows 7 system makes sense.

Dave

Monday, June 4, 2018 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

For OneDrive issue, I suggest discussing it in our OneDrive forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:49 AM