vista keeps freezing and all programs constantly stop responding? RRS feed

• Question

•  

i have a dell vostro 1700 it came with vista and it has been working fine for 3-4 months. then about 2 weeks ago it started to play up, the screen freezes and programs become non responsive. i don't thinks its a virus, i have AVG and i have done several scans, nothing is found. i really can't think of what it could be......

is there anything i can do to stop this happening? is this a common problem and if so what it the solution? 

any help or sugesstion would be very welcomed!!!!   

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:03 PM

Answers

• Try the basics:

Run your updated Anti-Virus and your Anti-Spyware/s, followed by a CCleaner, junk clean-up. Even if the scan's dont throw up anything, it might be a good idea to get your HijackThis logfile auto analysed at www.hijackthis.de

Else disable your Aero, and see if its helping.
    Else try disabling the Indexing Service.

Most such Vista freezes are also caused due to Crapware installed on pre-installed OEM Vista machines. So check up which, if any, programs you don't need and uninstall them. Clean up with a Registry Cleaner to clean up residual junk registry entries. PC DeCrapifier is a nifty program which can help you identify Craplets.

Also remove from Start-ups several non-Microsoft items which you think you don't need them to start up, every time you boot.

A little more on it here.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:15 PM

All replies

• Urban

As a first step in troubleshooting, try this.

You can get a detailed description of the error using the Event Viewer.

Go to Control Panel and click the Classic View in the Tasks pane. Double click Administrative Tools and double click the Event Viewer.

Expand Custom Views and select Administrative Events. This may take a couple of minutes to load.

Look for any events that display a 'Red error icon' that coincide with the Date and Time that the last freeze up or anomaly occurred.

If you find one, double click that error to see the details. On the lower, left side of the details window, click the Copy Button and paste the results back here in a reply.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    • Proposed as answer by M4r00 Sunday, April 12, 2015 6:57 PM
    Friday, May 30, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Thanks for responding.

the freezing has become more frequent recently, it even freezes on the login but i have carried your instructions out, whilst doing so the computer froze serval times!! - i hope this is the right thing you need!!!!!

the error report:

Log Name:      System

Source:        EventLog

Date:          30/05/2008 12:09:32

Event ID:      6008

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Dossaji-PC

Description:

The previous system shutdown at 12:03:54 on 30/05/2008 was unexpected.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="EventLog" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-05-30T11:09:32.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>19977</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Dossaji-PC</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>12:03:54</Data>

<Data>30/05/2008</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>262</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Binary>D807050005001E000C0003003600DB02D807050005001E000B0003003600DB02600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B00400000100000079010000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:14 AM
  • Urban

You posted the event properly, unfortunately the only thing it shows is that the system was shutdown unexpectedly. This is probably a result of the system freezing and requiring a hard restart to get it running properly.

The problem is that when the system freezes, it is also not able to create the event that describes the problem.

I would recommend trying System Restore to go back to a time before this problem started.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and click System Restore.

In the first screen, click the 'Choose a different restore point' and click 'Next'.

On the next screen, select the 'Show restore points older than 5 days' option.

Select a restore point that has a date and time prior to when you first experienced this behavior.

Click 'Next' and then click 'Finish'.

System Restore will restore the system and then reboot.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, May 30, 2008 7:22 PM
  • i followed your instructions but the computer froze whilst 'preparing to system restore', it seems to be stuck at this point!

what should i do? Its not resopnding to any usual promps, will turning off my PC now have any detramental effects?

Also on the event log...before the PC froze..... there were a few critical errors from previous dates (with a red X icon next to them)....are they important to solving this case? (NB i think the general box said they were something about 'kernal-power...sleep failure') 

Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:56 AM
  • Try the basics:

Run your updated Anti-Virus and your Anti-Spyware/s, followed by a CCleaner, junk clean-up. Even if the scan's dont throw up anything, it might be a good idea to get your HijackThis logfile auto analysed at www.hijackthis.de

Else disable your Aero, and see if its helping.
    Else try disabling the Indexing Service.

Most such Vista freezes are also caused due to Crapware installed on pre-installed OEM Vista machines. So check up which, if any, programs you don't need and uninstall them. Clean up with a Registry Cleaner to clean up residual junk registry entries. PC DeCrapifier is a nifty program which can help you identify Craplets.

Also remove from Start-ups several non-Microsoft items which you think you don't need them to start up, every time you boot.

A little more on it here.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:15 PM
  • This is one of the critical errors I've received.

It freezes about 10 times a day!!!!

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date:          5/8/2008 10:57:49 PM
    Event ID:      41
    Level:         Critical
    Keywords:      (2)
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Amy-PC
    Description:
    The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
        <EventID>41</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>1</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-05-09T02:57:49.794Z" />
        <EventRecordID>19530</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
        <Computer>Amy-PC</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Monday, July 14, 2008 2:33 AM
  • I have the same problem, worked fine for months and now i have switch the on/off switch like 6-7 times a day, even after returning the pc to the factory settings, it works in for a few weeks and now back when the problems started. i cant even access the event viewer because of the freezes Dell xps 420 with vista home premium
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:29 PM
  • I have vista and was getting hangs and freezes then after minute or 2 it starts working for no reason.  I also got alot of "program not responding " error messages when just browsing internet and it happened a few times a day. for months. I did all the avg virus sweeps and cc cleaner .  nothing found.  did hardware test and all hardware working.  then I got a windows update on july 14 and presto!  computer runs perfect again.  I'm convinced microsoft put out a bad update about 5 or 6 months ago and just now are coming out with a fix!  the silence from microsoft during this time is totally unethical.   they screwed up vista and didn't even admit it so so many are wasting time trying to fix computer that isnt even broken.  shame on microsoft !

check and see if you have windows  update dated july 14!   it just came out!   go to start up, control panel, then check for updates. if you dont have it load it up.  then re boot and see if it fixes your problem.  

hope helps you !  

Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:51 PM
  • Hi, I have done the test as per what you have said and the result is as follows:

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          12/04/2015 08:59:42
    Event ID:      10016
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      pc055
    Description:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Event Xml:
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10016</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-04-12T07:59:42.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>9536355</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Computer>pc055</Computer>