none
cannot update to version 1703 due to System Reserved Partition

Question

• My system will not update to version 1703 "couldn't update the system reserved partition".  These are the specs of my laptop.  I have no other computer.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 69 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8112 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 885 GB (551 GB Free); D: 12 GB (12 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Type2 - Board Vendor Name1, Type2 - Board Product Name1
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I know without doing anything ... my Windows 10 will not get the update to version 1703. That may not mean anything to the performance of my system. Also, not sure I will continue to get regular updates since I don't have 1703.
    I've backed-up all my data ... I've also used the back-up within Windows 10 to back-up my system on a USB for recovery.
    The view in MiniTool Partition Wizard (Free) shows

1.23GB with all used and it's labeled as OTHER ... and GPT (Reserved Partition).

Directly beneath that is 22.18 GB of unallocated space.

Directly ABOVE the GPT (Reserved Partition) is
    100MB (12.78MB unused) ...FAT32 ... GPT (EFI System partition) ... Active & System

Can someone tell me what area to enlarge to enable my system to update?

Friday, November 03, 2017 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi trixie',

I would like to confirm:
    (1) What is your issue?  Do you want to enlarge the partition of C drive?
    (2) Are you using "MiniTool Partition Wizard"?

If (1) and (2) is Yes, you can delete unnecessary partitions and enlarge/resize the partition of C drive by "MiniTool Partition Wizard".
    These partitions could be deleted: 

cf. If D drive is necessary, I recommend to move D drive to the last, and C drive to third (i.e. after EFI System Partition).  If D is not necessary, delete it.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Saturday, November 04, 2017 4:44 AM
  • The problem that you have is related to the MSR or system reserved partition.

By default the EFI is 100 MB.

And by default the MSR is 16.

Viewing the mini partition wizard the reserved partition was already modified from 16 MB to 1.23 GB.  How did you make this step?  And what was installed in the MSR to fill the 1.23 GB?

Using the mini tool partition wizard right click on the EFI partition and left click on explore.  Expand all rows and post an image into the thread using a one drive or drop share link.

When you attempt to upgrade Windows evaluates the current computer environment and if it fails to meet the requirements there is no upgrade.  Lately it has been displaying unable to update the reserved partition.  However in the past there was no displayed failure.  

In order to confirm the cause of the failure you can view the Panther logs.

For the failure you are describing the deficiency is typically approximately 5 MB.

So partition expansion is one method to fix the problem.  But another partition will need to be reduced in size.

There are other methods to fix the failure to upgrade.

First you should confirm the failure by viewing the logs.

Other methods to fix the problem if it is failure to update the MSR are:

1) remove unnecessary files within the MSR

2) backup the drive files to another drive or making a backup image > clean install > reinstalling the files/applications

Again all MSR by default are 16 MB.  The Panther logs typically will report looking for 15 MB free, found 11 MB free, insufficiency 4 MB.  If this were the situation you would then need to remove unnecessary files that are > 4 MB.  And removing more unnecessary files would provide a buffer for the upgrade.

Download and install everything to make search more efficient:  https://www.voidtools.com/

Search for these logs and post the logs found using one drive or drop box share links:

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther 
    C:\Windows\Panther
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    Setupmem.dmp     $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log     $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log
    BlueBox.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback*.evtx

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback

BlueBox.log
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupmem.dmp
    $Windows.~bt\Sources\Rollback\setupapi\setupapi.dev.log

Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)

Saturday, November 04, 2017 5:46 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  To answer your first question ... I want to be able to keep my computer updated.  During July 2016 I was attempting to work with MiniTool Partition Wizard ... to allow the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  Obviously, I was attempting some actions I didn't understand.  At one point I had 300 MB of unallocated space ... and still no success with the upgrade to Windows 10.  I was finally able to get the upgrade on the last day.  I did not keep images of the results after I got the upgrade ... so cannot track how I accomplished it.

I do not know how I got Drive D ... but this is an image of what's there now.  Seeing the creation time of this partition it would indicate that something contained in there was the reason I was able to upgrade.  I know it was on the LAST day which was 29 July 2016.

I've received another answer to this problem and I'll be reviewing those comments.  I appreciate you taking the time to help me to resolve my update problem.

Monday, November 06, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Thank you for your very detailed review of my issue.  During July 2016 I was attempting to work with MiniTool Partition Wizard ... to allow the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.  Obviously, I was attempting some actions I didn't understand.  At one point I had 300 MB of unallocated space ... and still no success with the upgrade to Windows 10.  I was finally able to get the upgrade on the last day.  I did not keep images of the results after I got the upgrade ... so cannot track how I accomplished it.

I've gone to VOIDTOOLS to view the site.   If enlarging a partition accomplishes the upgrade ... it seems that would be a simple solution.  As I'm sure you can see ... I'm not very adept at the workings of my system.  attached is an image of the EFI.  My reply to another answer I included a view of Vol D (which evidently was created on the last day of the Win 10 upgrade).

Monday, November 06, 2017 2:32 PM
  • 1) Backup all of the computer files to another drive or to the cloud.

2) Make a backup image using Macrium:

3) Save the backup image to another drive or to the cloud.

4) Open administrative command prompt and run chkdsk /x /f /r on all partitions/drives.

5) Run HD Tune on all drives and post images into the thread of these tests:

http://www.hdtune.com/

a) Health

b) Benchmark

c) Error scan

6) Post the chkdsk results for each drive into the thread using in the information in this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

In case you cannot post an image into the thread please use a one drive or drop box share link.

Open file explorer and click view to show hidden files.  Or use https://www.voidtools.com/ to quickly find the search results.

Then search for any of these files and post one drive or drop share links into the thread for any of the files found.

setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    BlueBox.log

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther
    C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther

BlueBox.log

Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)

Monday, November 06, 2017 4:36 PM
  • Please post the above files for troubleshooting and please update your progress.

It is likely that you can fix the problem by:

1) removing files that were installed by default into the partition that you do not need or use.

and /or

2) enlarging the applicable partition (not the MSR)

Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:02 AM
  • I have not stopped working this problem.  I had already done a system back-up thru windows and saved to a thumb drive ... I also had backed-up my personal files on my external hard drive.  However, the instructions above tell me to use Macrium to back-up system.  Once I downloaded that program it suggested a back-up and also a recovery on a thumb drive.  The thumb drive I had (16 GB) would not work (not the same one as above) ... needed to be reformatted.  I just completed a scan with virus program, malware program, and CCleaner.  I will attempt to format the thumb drive to create the Recovery as instructed by Macrium.  If successful ... I'll be able to back-up and create Recovery thru Macrium and go to the next step in the above instructions.

I really appreciate the help you folks are offering.  I am learning thru this process ... so thanks for the education.

Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:22 AM
  • Hi trixie',

System Backup requires much more space according to used space in C drive.
    This is the same, even if you use other image-creating software.
    According to your description, you have an external hard drive. Save image in that drive, instead of USB thumb drive.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:32 AM
  • Can the Rescue Media and the system back-up be on the same External Hard Drive?
    Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Hi trixie',

I have never used "Macrium", so this is my guess according to words you provided.

It's NOT possible.
    "Rescue Media" should be installed in your USB thumb drive. And the external hard disk should be used for saving a backup image.

cf. I'm using (Acronis) TrueImage for creating a drive/partition image and restoring it.
       In a bootable USB stick, there exists a software to create/restore an image.
       The image is created/saved in my NAS or external USB HDD/SSD.   

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, November 09, 2017 2:23 AM
  • I have successfully downloaded VOIDTOOLS ... and to make sure I understand what you are looking for ... I've included a screen capture of        C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther ....    much more data below this capture.  Are these the logs you are looking for?

Thursday, November 09, 2017 10:30 PM
  • Hi trixie',

Who do you mean by "you"?
    If it's me(Ashidacchi), there is no such folder "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT" in my computers. A folder "$Windows.~WS" exists in one computer.
    And I hope you will provide an exact file name with full path.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:09 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi ....Can you see all the posts to this thread?    I was answering a thread ... partially copied here.  I am not familiar with VOIDTOOLS ... so I wanted to make sure I was heading down the correct path. 

Thanks for your continued help .... Trixie

Download and install everything to make search more efficient:  https://www.voidtools.com/

Search for these logs and post the logs found using one drive or drop box share links:

setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    BlueBox.log

BlueBox.log

Setupmem.dmp
    setupapi.dev.log
    Event logs (*.evtx)
    Saturday, November 04, 2017 5:46 AM

Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:15 PM
  • Hi trixie',

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I have no idea about "VOIDTOOLS", so I will stop posting in this thread. (I have many to answer to other OPs.) Sorry for making you take time.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:32 PM
  • Ashidacchi ... thanks for your advice ... and I'm ready to try your initial suggestion.  Whatever is in that partition is very small.  I'm not sure "how" I would see what that data is ...  but am ready to just delete it ... and expand the adjoining partition.

Evidently, it would not prevent my computer from booting .... and I was able to create a Rescue Media on a thumb drive.

Again, thanks ... Trixie

Thursday, November 09, 2017 11:43 PM
  • Were you able to find any of the panther logs?

setuperr.log
    setupact.log

Please post share links into the thread for these and any of the other logs that were displayed in the earlier thread.

For finding files on the computer you can use either file explorer search or voidtools everything search.  The Everything search will index everything on the computer's internal and external drives and by typing characters you will see instantaneous results.  Using file explorer each search takes substantially longer.  The everything search is a lot more efficient for finding files.

Once the failure information is found in the logs you can move forward with a better understanding of what was needed, what was found, and what needs to be accomplished regarding partition free space.

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:11 AM
  • I downloaded the VOIDTOOLS ...  and above I posted a screen capture of a portion of the results when I searched for PANTHER.    Can you see that screen capture?   Was this what you were looking for?    I do not have "share links" ....  I can copy/paste and do captures.  This investigation may be more than I can do/understand.  Trixie

I also downloaded "Everything" ...  do NOT know how to use it.  The screen capture from above was from Everything.

• Edited by trixie' Friday, November 10, 2017 12:23 AM incomplete
    Friday, November 10, 2017 12:19 AM
  • The purpose of the software is to make it easier for you to find multiple files.

It takes a long time to use file explorer as you wait for it to search and then display results.

The everything search is instantaneous and you can narrow down the search results as you type more characters.

So the goal was to find specific files on the computer.

To do that you type the characters and view the results.

Panther will display the largest number of files so you know that the computer has the panther files.

Now find the files by copy and pasting the individual names into the search area and viewing the results.

Large files cannot be posted into this website.  There is insufficient space.  So you need to post a link into the thread so that viewers can open the files.  That is accomplished by using other software tools.

So one software tool was everything search.

Another software tool is one drive.

And another software tool is drop box.

If you use either one drive or drop box you can move pictures, music, large files etc. into the software and have it create a share link.  Then you copy the share link and post it into an email or into a website.  Then viewers can open the share link and view the files.

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:37 AM
  • setupact.log     1,521 KB     and  setuperr.log   31K ......    are the only ones I see with log ...  I see if I right click I have the option to send to Drop Box ...   I'll need to set-up my account.   I'm beginning to understand.

I'll keep working on this ... thank you for your help and patience ... 

Friday, November 10, 2017 12:54 AM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/q12gx4gsyd38xlh/setupact.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqmtdc3fzbtvymw/setuperr.log?dl=0

I have results on two more searches ....  I'll post them tomorrow ...  if you are able to access these files.

Friday, November 10, 2017 1:49 AM
  • These are the searches that did not produce any results:

Setupmem.dmp

Event logs (*.evtx)

Thanks ...  Trixie

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:09 AM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/zugw187nb7t3khl/BlueBox.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqmtdc3fzbtvymw/setuperr.log?dl=0

I hope you are able to see my results on Dropbox ...  Let me know what else I can do.   Trixie

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) sfc /scannow

2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

3) Lpksetup /u

4) when these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thead

5) chkdsk /x /r

This may take many hours so plan to run overnight.

Run this command on all partitions.

Use this syntax:  chkdsk /x /r c: or chkdsk /x /r d:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]
    (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /x /r
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type: Y

Then reboot

6) post a share link into the thread for the event viewer report for each partition/drive using the information in this link:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/40822-read-chkdsk-log-event-viewer-windows-10-a.html

7) run HD Tune on all drives and post share links into the thread for images of Health, benchmark, and full error scans:  http://www.hdtune.com/

2017-10-18 10:27:57, Info                  MOUPG  SetupHost: Reporting error event -> [0xC1900201, 0x20008]

CONX   CFreeSystemPartitionDiskSpaceChecker: checked InsufficientSystemPartitionDiskSpace, found HardBlock.Not enough space on partition [\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\] Required: 15 MB. Available: 12 MB.

The drive is insufficient by 3 MB and that can be fixed by removing files that are not needed.

Once the drives have been tested and fixed the method will be discussed.

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Action from 1 above:     I'll move to the nr 2 above  ...   Trixie

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Friday, November 10, 2017 2:55 PM
  • results from Action Nr 2 in above post

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:38 PM
  • When I attempt the Nr 3 action above I get this screen ... 

• Edited by trixie' Friday, November 10, 2017 3:45 PM include image
    Friday, November 10, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Please update the progress with these steps:

1) chkdsk /x /f /r on all partitions/drives

2) HD Tune on all partitions/drives

a) health scan

b) benchmark

c) full error scan

3) backup image using Macrium and placing the image onto another drive

4) make sure that you are not on a metered connection

5) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

6) dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

7) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

8) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

9) dism /online /cleanup-image /restoreHealth /limitaccess

10) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

11) create a bootable windows 10 iso:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

12) open administrative command prompt and copy and paste this command to generate files.  The files will appear on the desktop.  Use one drive or drop box to post share links into the thread.

Files should include:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dump, hosts, install, uninstall, event viewer, etc.

Administrative command prompt command to get logs:
    copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:38 PM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/edjqwutpjth6307/CHKDSKResults.txt?dl=0

This was just done ... even though the date shows March ...    Trixie

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:39 PM
  • There were a lot of problems displayed in the CHKDSK report with summary:

Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute. Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system.

Run again chkdsk /x /f /r on drive C: and post the results into the thread

Also run chkdsk /x /f /r on drive D: and post results into the thread.

There was corruption on the file system on driveC that was fixed.

There is still corruption of the operating system.

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /x /r d:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is New Volume.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
                                                                                                                                                                      256 file records processed.                                                   
    File verification completed.
                                                                                                                                                                      0 large file records processed.
                                                                                                                                                                      0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
                                                                                                                                                                      286 index entries processed.                                                  
    Index verification completed.
                                                                                                                                                                      0 unindexed files scanned.
                                                                                                                                                                      0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
                                                                                                                                                                      16 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
                                                                                                                                                                      48128 USN bytes processed.                                                    
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
                                                                                                                                                                      240 files processed.                                                          
    File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
                                                                                                                                                                      3320541 free clusters processed.                                              
    Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

13301819 KB total disk space.
         15236 KB in 10 files.
            12 KB in 17 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
          4403 KB in use by the system.
          3072 KB occupied by the log file.
      13282168 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
       3325454 total allocation units on disk.
       3320542 allocation units available on disk.

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:53 PM
  • I ran chkdsk /x /f /r on drive C ...   answered YES ...  rebooted .... used Power Shell ... got the log for chkdsk and wininet ...   again it placed a text document on my desktop.  It has the same date as the previous document I placed on DROPBOX.  This appears like I'm not doing this correctly.

One thing I noticed when I rebooted ...  a message appeared after LOGO that Drive C had been repaired 100%.

Next on the most recent list of actions is HD Tune.

Friday, November 10, 2017 5:58 PM
  • The chkdsk /x /f /r can be run tomorrow on drive C:

This way there should not be any confusion as to the testing date and time.

If you can submit the files I can troubleshoot them while you run HD Tune.

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Friday, November 10, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Hello

The problem is that the 100MB FAT32 partition is too small ( the EFI system partition, this is the Active partition, the one you boot to)

Setup needs to copy files to that volume  but there isn't enough space on the volume to allow this, this should be at least 300 MB in size, ( 500meg would be better)

There is no easy way in Windows to increase the size of that partition

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 10, 2017 6:13 PM
  • To be clear ... you are saying to not run any more tests today?    I have already moved the Text document from my desktop which was a result of my first scan earlier today (this is the one I uploaded to DROPBOX).  Should I also remove the most recent text document from my desktop?   I notice the name of the file is the same ...  Trixie
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:14 PM
  • Please run chkdsk /x /f /r tomorrow.

Please run the rest of the tests today.

If you can send the files for this command now I can then troubleshoot the files:

Friday, November 10, 2017 6:51 PM
  • Is the word "COPY" .... to be used as part of the command .... or did you mean to copy the remaining text?  Also ... this is all one command?
    Friday, November 10, 2017 6:55 PM
  • It is one command for administrative command prompt.

Please try to get it to work so that the files can be troubleshooted.

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:25 PM
  • copy is part of command??
    Friday, November 10, 2017 7:27 PM
  • yes

It was designed to be a copy and paste.

Many have used the command with success.

Please try whatever works so you can get the logs troubleshooted.

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:33 PM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4lrsctfh0jwchw/drivers.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4gs04jnt3bk9gr/eventlog.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q40yee8m5rqbfk/hosts.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06czwhs1jqwruhz/installed.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/osjeysmbw2tphbc/msinfo32.nfo?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cex357b6pokfpxn/services.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0awt8wqil2a28dm/systeminfo.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nu03aqkdefsxol/uninstall.txt?dl=0

Trixie

Friday, November 10, 2017 7:57 PM
  • HD Tune Health check:

HD Tune: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100H Health

ID                               Current  Worst    ThresholdData     Status   
    (01) Raw Read Error Rate         100      100      50       0        Ok       
    (02) Throughput Performance      100      100      50       0        Ok       
    (03) Spin Up Time                100      100      1        2608     Ok       
    (04) Start/Stop Count            100      100      0        7606     Ok       
    (05) Reallocated Sector Count    100      100      50       0        Ok       
    (07) Seek Error Rate             100      100      50       0        Ok       
    (08) Seek Time Performance       100      100      50       0        Ok       
    (09) Power On Hours Count        83       83       0        6823     Ok       
    (0A) Spin Retry Count            252      100      30       0        Ok       
    (0C) Power Cycle Count           100      100      0        7555     Ok       
    (BF) G-sense Error Rate          100      100      0        25       Ok       
    (C0) Power Off Retract Count     98       98       0        1180     Ok       
    (C1) Load Cycle Count            59       59       0        418865   Ok       
    (C2) Temperature                 100      100      0        983074   Ok       
    (C4) Reallocated Event Count     100      100      0        0        Ok       
    (C5) Current Pending Sector      100      100      0        0        Ok       
    (C6) Offline Uncorrectable       100      100      0        0        Ok       
    (C7) Ultra DMA CRC Error Count   200      200      0        0        Ok       
    (DC) Disk Shift                  100      100      0        0        Ok       
    (DE) Loaded Hours                98       98       0        1098     Ok       
    (DF) Load/Unload Retry Count     100      100      0        0        Ok       
    (E0) Load Friction               100      100      0        0        Ok       
    (E2) Load-in time                100      100      0        258      Ok       
    (F0) Head Flying Hours           100      100      1        0        Ok       

Power On Time         : 6823
    Health Status         : Ok

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:07 PM
  • HD Tune Benchmark:

HD Tune: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100H Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 0.2 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Maximum : 73.0 MB/sec
    Transfer Rate Average : 19.3 MB/sec
    Access Time           : 45.5 ms
    Burst Rate            : 134.1 MB/sec
    CPU Usage             : 22.7%

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:15 PM
  • HD Tune error scan has started ... but looks as if it may take quite a while.    Trixie
    Friday, November 10, 2017 8:23 PM
  • For every test if there is an image please post the image into the thread.

If you have difficulty posting an image please use a one drive or drop box share link.

For HD Tune there are 3 images.

Can you post an image of each

Health

Full error scan.

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:25 PM
  • Full error scan .... three lines done and 26 minutes elapsed .... should I stop and check "quick scan" ...  and start again?  If not, it will be several hours before the current error scan will be completed.  Trixie      will post images when completed.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 8:44 PM
  • There are problems with the drive.

That will become more apparent when the images are posted.

Can you post an image of the Health scan?

Event[43083]:
      Log Name: System
      Source: NTFS
      Date: 2017-11-08T18:33:28.656
      Event ID: 134
      Task: N/A
      Level: Warning
      Opcode: N/A
      Keyword: Classic
      User: N/A
      User Name: N/A
      Computer: Den-PC
      Description: 
    The transaction resource manager on volume C: encountered an error during recovery.  The resource manager will continue recovery.

Please complete the full error scan.

If it is interrupted please start it again so that you have a complete full scan.

What happened during this crash:

Event[43088]:
      Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
      Date: 2017-11-08T18:33:31.112
      Event ID: 41
      Level: Critical
      Opcode: Info
      Keyword: N/A
      User: S-1-5-18
      User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      Description: 
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:11 PM
  • do you want me to stop the error scan ?   and redo the Health check to get the image?   Trixie
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:14 PM
  • sorry ...  I didn't read the last part ...   will continue on with slow error scan.   Trixie
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:15 PM
  • It looks like it will be about five more hours before it's completed.    Trixie
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:17 PM
  • You should be able to keep the error scan working while you click on the health scan tab and then post an image into the thread.

Event[43673]:
      Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
      Date: 2017-11-10T12:35:05.648
      Event ID: 219
      Description: 
    The driver \Driver\BtFilter failed to load for the device USB\VID_0930&PID_0227\5&16b2cd1e&0&5.

Event[43674]:
      Date: 2017-11-10T12:35:05.648
      Description: 
    The driver \Driver\usbccgp failed to load for the device USB\VID_046D&PID_C52F\5&16b2cd1e&0&1.

Event[43675]:
      Date: 2017-11-10T12:35:05.649
      Description: 
    The driver \Driver\usbccgp failed to load for the device USB\VID_13D3&PID_5652\NULL.

What happened with the crash today?

For your computer there is a computer manufacturer website that offers support for bios and driver downloads.  Please find the website and post the URL or hyperlink into the thread.

When the error scan has completed perform the following step:

In the left lower corner search type:  msinfo32

Allow it to remain open for 5 minutes or more.

Then click on file > save > save as nfo to the desktop

Open up the file on the desktop and make sure it is in the same form as you just viewed it.

Make sure it is not in a txt format.

Once you have confirmed that it is in the same form that you viewed it when you opened msinfo32 then use one drive or drop box to post a link into the thread.

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:28 PM
  • You asked about a crash today ... when I had copied the command and it included the "copy" at the beginning I first pasted it in Command line and when the menu pop-up said refreshing ... I thought I had done something wrong.  Then asked and got confirmation that was correct ... so pasted it again.  I hope no damage was done.  Here is the image of the Health Scan.
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:37 PM
  • On the image that you posted there is a scroll bar.

Please post the results that were not displayed in the above image so that all of the results are visible.

If that was an image artifact please note that in the thread.

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:48 PM
  • I took two images and joined them for a complete image ... sorry ... should have mentioned that... Trixie
    Friday, November 10, 2017 9:55 PM
  • Open the Toshiba website.

Enter the computers product number and operating system.

Look for drivers and firmware for the computer.

The BIOS is old:  

BIOS Version:              INSYDE Corp. 2.00, 12/11/2014

Look for a more recent verson.

Download and install the latest edition.

Update the Bluetooth driver

Update all drivers that are old.

Wait until the error scan has completed to perform updates.

In the left lower corner search type:  msnfo32

When it opens notice that you can interact with the layout.

Find a way to save it to the desktop so that when you open it up it is in the same format.

See if you save it in NFO format works.  When you click on save you will see that as an option for save as type.

Once you can save it in the same form use one drive or drop box to post the msinfo32.

Friday, November 10, 2017 11:22 PM
  • The scan is a little over half finished.   I had already downloaded the updated BIOS ... just waiting to install.  I'll work on your remaining instructions after scan is finished.   Trixie
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:20 AM
  • HD Tune Error Scan finished:

HD Tune: TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100H Error Scan

Scanned data   : 953488 MB
    Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
    Elapsed Time   : 480:57

Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:22 AM
  • I am on the Toshiba site with a listing of all driver updates for my model and Windows 10 64 bit ... when there are two listed ... should I only install the most recent?  For example the Total System Driver has one dated 2016 and one for 2017.

Previously you said on the BIOS to use the one with latest date ... I have it downloaded and ready to attempt install. 

Is there a way to tell which drivers "may" have already been installed on my computer?  For a while I was getting notifications of drivers to update ... but the Toshiba Service Station stopped working.  I think there was a security issue. 

Copied from your message above:     In the left lower corner search type:  msnfo32      Later in the message you refer to msinfo32 ...   can assume the underlined contains a typo?    This last action is to be taken AFTER all updates from Toshiba are done ... correct?                  

Trixie

Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:49 PM
  • It is almost always beneficial to update to the latest drivers.

Occasionally the most up to date drivers produce bsod and may require a roll back of the driver.

You can update all drivers and bios from the computer manufacturer's site.

For msinfo32 you can post at any time.  Please make sure that when you view and save it that the save file opens up in the same format as you use it on the PC.  msinfo txt files are difficult to use so please make sure it is in the same form as it appears when you type msinfo in the left lower corner search.

When windows is installed it creates default sized partitions.

The EFI system partition by default is 100 MB and the computer is displaying 100 MB.

The Reserved partition by default is 16 MB and the computer is displaying 1.23 GB

What is the history?  How did the 16 MB drive become 1.23 GB ?

How come there are 3 Recovery partitions?  What is the history?

For the upgrade can you physically remove all drives except the windows drive?

Check to see if the computer will boot properly.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 7:45 AM
  • In July 2016 I was attempting to get the upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 before the deadline.  Clearly, I did not know how to use the partition tool ... I was attempting to enlarge the partition I "thought" was causing the error (same error message I'm getting now on attempting to get this latest build for Windows 10).  I cannot trace exactly the sequence of how those partitions were made.  Nor what ultimately allowed the upgrade to happen. 

Regarding the update of drivers ...  ones with the same name .... should I only use the one with the latest date?

Regarding the msinfo32 ... when I type it into lower left search box I get the interactive view.  I'm attaching a partial screen grab ...  if this is the correct process ...  which of those elements would you need?  It gives no option to "save as".  I have saved it on my desktop in the correct format.  It appears to be the identical ICON as I loaded onto DROPBOX on Friday.  I can load it there again; however, I'm guessing that would be confusing ...  should I delete the earlier one and then load this one onto DROPBOX? 

If a driver installation gives me BSoD ... how do I roll it back?

• Edited by trixie' Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:03 PM UPDATE INFO
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Hi Trixie,  

If I were you I will focus on the Reservation partition or System Reserved Partition That need more space. There is 22.2GB unallocated, you can use minitool to combine or (Extend) 1.23GB and 22.18GB. After doing this you could be able to update to version 1073. See picture below

Momominta

Sunday, November 12, 2017 4:09 PM
  • For msinfo32:

1) In the left lower corner type msinfo32

2) Allow it to load for several minutes.

3) click file > save > save to desktop > under save as type make sure that it displays System Information File (*.NFO) > save

4) close msinfo32

5) look on the desktop for msinfo32 that you just saved and launch it to confirm that it was saved in the NFO format and is inthe same format that you just viewed it before saving.

6) post the file into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link.

For drivers:

1) Always use drivers from the computer's manufacturers web site

2) On occasion when the computer manufacturer does not have a needed driver use the component manufacturer website (Nvidia, Intel, Realtek, etc.)

3) Don't use software websites that automatically update drivers as you don't what you are getting.  Are there tag along's? 

4) Just like windows corruption drivers get corrupted.  Misbehaving drivers occur with old and new drivers.  It is a good habit to check the computer manufacturers website once per quarter or more frequently for updated drivers.  Other good habits are to run chkdsk /x /f /r, sfc /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth on a regular basis to check the drive files and the operating system.

5) Windows will automatically update Microsoft drivers and many non-Microsoft drivers.  However you cannot count on it for non-Microsoft drivers and must check the computer manufacturer's website.

6) There should be no bsod when updating drivers directly from the computer manufactures website.  If you do get one then there is something wrong with the computer environment (hardware or software).  

7) This is a Microsoft link for using device manager to update drivers if there is a bsod:

Updating a driver:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1

For failure to upgrade:

1) open mini partition wizard

2) right click on EFI system partition > left click explore > expand the EFI folder > expand all folders once > post an image into the thread > under boot expand all in full > post images into the thread.

3) In the left lower corner search type language > open region and language settings > click add a language > if there is any other language that you use beside English or must have on the computer post that into the thread.

4) Please update the status for each of these:

a) make a brand new restore point.

b) back up all important files to another drive or into the cloud

c) make a backup image using Macrium and place the backup image onto another drive

Sunday, November 12, 2017 5:12 PM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/osjeysmbw2tphbc/msinfo32.nfo?dl=0

Trixie

Sunday, November 12, 2017 9:23 PM
  • Hi,
    When the update or install is not possible sometimes you could find this file xxxxxxxx_APPRAISER_xxxxxxx

that file contains the reason why update or install is not doing. Try to find that file on your c drive and put it online for analyzing. As I have said focus on the Reservation partition or System Reserved Partition That need more space. There is 22.2GB unallocated, you can use minitool to combine or (Extend) 1.23GB and 22.18GB.

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Sunday, November 12, 2017 9:47 PM
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 9:46 PM
  • The msinfo32 came as nfo but was not in the interactive format.

For the failure to upgrade please post the images and q & a so we can plan to troubleshoot the upgrade failure.

Monday, November 13, 2017 12:53 AM
  • I'll generate it again.  I was able to interact with it on my desktop before I loaded into DROPBOX.  I've just completed the download of all updates from Toshiba site ...  I haven't done the BIOS update yet.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 12:57 AM
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2kx6mkc5q7ft2w/msinfo32.nfo?dl=0

Trixie

Monday, November 13, 2017 1:14 AM
  • Same.

See if you can zip it or export and get an interactive copy.

Monday, November 13, 2017 1:19 AM
  • Export didn't work ... only option was TEXT  ....   it is interactive on my desktop and in the proper format.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 1:31 AM
  • attempted to zip ....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibha7z32s6sebb2/msinfo32.zip?dl=0

Monday, November 13, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Evidently BIOS was already updated to latest version.    I have views of partitions from three programs.  I'll post them separately.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Before I attempt anything else I need to back-up my system again and re-do the rescue media.  I had trouble selecting the correct method to back-up my system using Macrium.  I had previously made a back-up thru Windows.  I tried the rescue media by changing the sequence to USB ... and my system did start up.  Trixie
    Monday, November 13, 2017 2:13 AM
  • This is screen grab of EaseUS
    Monday, November 13, 2017 2:23 AM
  • This is from AOMEI tool:

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi Trixie,

You seems to ignore the other messages. But I am 100% sure the Bios has nothing to do with your issue. The only thing that is going to happen  if you continue on that way is to reinstall all your windows by deleting all your partitions and recreate them for the new install. I copy paste my suggestion again for you below

If I were you I will focus on the Reservation partition or System Reserved Partition That need more space. There is 22.2GB unallocated, you can use minitool to combine or (Extend) 1.23GB and 22.18GB. After doing this you could be able to update to version 1073. See picture above.

Momominta

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Mini Tool Partition:

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Hi Momominta ...  I had already tried your suggestion before I entered on this path.  I had already moved over

1 GB ...  hoping I would get it enlarged enough to accomplish the upgrade .. but unfortunately it continues to fail the upgrade.  It appeared there was an error in my system ... but now it appears that has been corrected.

I have a link that I can stop the "attempts" to update ... but I hate to do that.  I have worked with another advisor for many days.  I'm hoping it will be successful.

Thank you for your continued interest.  I'll keep posting.    Trixie

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:32 AM
  • Ok, if the upgrade still failed, force the installation by downloading  windows media creation 

Get sufficient data storage available on a computer, blank USB (8 GB) drive for the download when the USB is done, open it and go for manually installation by clicking on the setup installation and choose keep my files and my folders.  

Momominta

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:44 AM
  • Momominta,

The installation can not be forced with a windows 10 iso.

The logs displayed the failure and the explanation for the failure.

Microsoft has published methods for fixing this problem.

The drive file corruption was corrected with chkdsk.

The drive has been checked and passed.

It has a low transfer rate which can be watched over time.

Macrium has been installed and we are awaiting confirmation that the files are backed up.

The approach to fix the problem is in progress.

Changing the partition size is the second choice.

The first choice is the Microsoft method.

The OP is going to post images of minitool partition wizard with right click exploration images.

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:20 AM
  • Hi questionsformicrosoftproducts,

If force the update with windows 10 iso does not work, I am 100% sure you are going to do a fresh windows 10 installation. 

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Monday, November 13, 2017 6:04 AM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 6:03 AM
  • You can only force a download and cannot force an upgrade.

If the computer environment does not meet the windows upgrade requirements the upgrade fails.

If you know how to force an upgrade and over power the servers and the computer environment then publish a paper so that the Microsoft engineers can learn your technique.

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:05 AM
  • My plan was to re-do my rescue media and complete back-up.  Last week the first attempt at creating the rescue media failed with error code 5 ... indicating the thumb drive had the maximum number of partitions.  I kept repeating it until it finally worked (I did nothing to the thumb drive).  From the information I read about the error it appeared I would have to reformat the thumb drive.  I did NOT do this.   This is the image of contents of thumb drive.  This morning my attempt to "re-do" the rescue media failed with the same error message.  I did test this rescue media and changed the order of boot to USB ... and my system did start up.  BUT ... if the USB failed to start the system wouldn't it go to the next selection to start?    Trixie

Monday, November 13, 2017 1:43 PM
  • Hi Trixie,

your last Minitool picture shows that the way you have done the partition is not good. If I where you I will go for a new windows  installation. You can save all your files on your external drive or usb key. when doing the new installation delete all your partition and let windows recreate them. before doing that, download Belarc Advisor and install it. you will find the icon on your desktop click on it and it will open a web page where it saves all your product keys and more other information relate to your computer. Print out the web page you will need it to reinstall all your applications. Don't try to fix your issue it is too late now, go for clean installation.

Momominta

Monday, November 13, 2017 3:02 PM
  • For Toshiba > F12 > boot to external USB hard drive

1) Open Mini tool partition wizard> insert a flash drive into USB 3 or USB 2 port and post into the thread the drive letter

2) With mini tool partition wizard >right click on GPT (EFI system partition) > left click explore > expand EFI > expand boot and microsoft > expand recovery and boot > post images into the thread

3) expand zh-TW, zh-CN, uk-UA, tr-TR, sv-SE  etc. > expand all except en-US > post images into the thread (it should display the size for each)

Monday, November 13, 2017 3:06 PM
  • The first comment above ... that was to test if my rescue media was actually using it to start?  ...  will test that next.

When inserted and viewed thru miniTool ... it shows disk 2 ... drive E

Attached is the image I created of the screens following instructions nr 2 above.

Trixie

Monday, November 13, 2017 4:48 PM
  • 1) In mini tool partition wizard please expand each yellow folder so that the sizes are visible > post images into the thread.

These are troubleshooting steps for booting from a flash drive:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21756-boot-usb-drive-windows-10-pc.html

If you have fast boot or ultra fast boot enabled in your UEFI firmware settings, then you may need to temporarily disable fast boot or ultra fast boot to be able to boot from a USB.

How to Enable Fast Boot or Ultra Fast Boot in UEFI Firmware Settings for Windows:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21284-enable-disable-fast-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-windows.html

1. Try another USB stick
    2. Try all USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)
    3. Sometimes when using UEFI Bios you have to temporarily switch to Legacy in BIOS settings
    4. Turn off temporarily fast boot, secure boot, CSM if enabled

Monday, November 13, 2017 5:11 PM
  • This is the screen captures from task 3 above.  Please let me know if I've missed any of your instructions.  I had to split the image in half to keep it from being too small.  Trixie

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:05 PM
  • For the folders please start immediately under boot with uk and end with cs.

Expand each of these folders and post images in sequence.

By maintaining the sequence we can refer to it later in the thread.

Post multiple images so we can view them.  Again maintaining the order of the folders in the post images will be useful.

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:23 PM
  • will post separately:  first one beginning with UK

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:42 PM
  • next in sequence:

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:43 PM
  • next in sequence ... 

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:44 PM
  • next in sequence:

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:44 PM
  • last in sequence:   

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:45 PM
  • Nice.

The file system on the drive was corrupt.  It was fixed by running chkdsk /x /f /r

The operating system is corrupt and was not able to be fixed by sfc /scannow nor dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Sometimes upgrades will fail if the operating system is corrupt.  Other times upgrades are used to fix corrupted operating systems.

So it will be important that you:

1) have created a backup image with Macrium

2) placed the backup image on another drive

3) created a brand new restore point

4) have backed up all files to another drive or to the cloud.

This should give you multiple layers of protection in case there are unexpected problems.

You should be prepared in case the operating system is no longer bootable of if you need to perform a clean install (delete partitions, format, make an unallocated drive, reinstall windows 10 version 1709).

It may be possible to fix the corrupted operating system.

Insert the bootable Windows 10 iso into a USB 3 or USB 2 port.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste this command:

(It sometimes can take many hours for it to complete.)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

When this has completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Still working on doing a back-up using Macrium ... I have a back-up made recently using the Windows 10 procedure.  This is on a thumb drive.  Do you believe this is a good back-up?   When you say "Insert the bootable Windows 10 iso into a USB 3 or USB 2 port" ... are you referring to the rescue media I created using Macrium?  If so, would I need to follow the directions from booting from this using F12 key?

Monday, November 13, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Find some flash drives that you can format.

Make a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The flash drive size can be approximately 8 GB as the iso will consume approximately 4GB.

Insert this bootable 10 iso into a USB port and then run the DISM command to see if it can fix the operating system corruption.

For the safety and protection of files it is best to have layers of protection:

1) you can copy and paste the USER folder from one drive to another drive then all documents, photos, videos, music, etc. should be backed up.  For a failure you would then copy and paste the files back to the new drive.

2) you can make a backup image and store the image onto another drive.  This image can be updated as frequently as you like.  Then if there is any failure you can perform a clean install and restore the image to the new drive.

3) making a brand new restore point gives you additional options in case there is a failure to boot as you may be able to use the restore point from the windows advanced troubleshooting menu on the iso.

4) As we get closer to fixing the insufficient free space problem I'll give you a link for a bootable drive.  This will require another flash drive.  And this will be an additional layer or backup planning in case there are unexpected problems.

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:01 PM
  • I have a 16 GB flash drive - it contains the rescue file from Macrium (1st one below)

I have a 128 GB flash drive - it contains the back-up file I created within Windows Back-up named RECOVERY (E)   image below

I have an external hard drive - almost filled with all my personal files etc

I have a 1 TB external hard drive --- nothing on it

If I will be creating another rescue file ... could I erase the 16 GB ... and reformat it to create the bootable Windows 10 ISO?   If so, it would be formatted in NTFS ... correct?

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:39 PM
  • HI all,

>>As we get closer to fixing the insufficient free space problem I'll give you a link for a bootable drive.  This will require another flash drive.  And this will be an additional layer or backup planning in case there are unexpected problems.

As I have told you to do the clean install because you won't be able to fix the issue. If I were Trixie,

The best way, I will save all my files and reformate the all drive and go for a clean clean windows 10 installation.  

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Monday, November 13, 2017 9:56 PM
    Monday, November 13, 2017 9:54 PM
  • Hello Momominta ...  I'm sure if the repair doesn't work ... a clean start will be needed.   I'd like to try to correct the problem and I appreciate the support I've received from this site.  Actually, amazed at the support and help.

Trixie

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:09 PM
  • Hello Trixie,

What you are doing is not  a fix , questionsformicrosoftproducts is trying to force the upgrade installation from windows 10 iso. 

Momominta

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:27 PM
  • Use the 1 TB external drive to back up all user files.

Open file explorer > this PC > local C: > Users > right click > properties > wait approximately 5 minutes for it to count > post an image into the thread of the size, number of files and folders.

On the 1 TB drive right click > create new folder named users backup 11  13 2017 

On the computer with the file that you just viewed the size copy and paste to this new folder on the 1 TB drive.

This may take many hours depending on the size of the file.

Once this has completed you should have completed multiple methods to backup the files having backed up the files, made an image, and made a restore point.

Please update the progress with the dism command.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:21 AM
  • To:  questionsformicrosoftproducts

I will follow these instructions.

If it's best to get new flash drives ... I'll purchase them tomorrow.  I'm sure it's best to have multiple back-ups.  I did test my 16 GB rescue drive again and it appears to work.  I really appreciate your help and patience.  I didn't know what I was getting into ... certainly, beyond my technical level.    Trixie   

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:24 AM
  • Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:23 AM
  • To:  questionsformicrosoftproducts

Last night when I started to unpack my 1 TB external hard drive (My Passport) and begin with your instructions ... I connect it and see there are files there ... one being the users manual.  After reading the start up instructions it says to update drivers and mentions it will be loaded on my computer.   Also mentions "formatting".  I don't recall doing anything like this with my LaCie external drive.  I've been using it exactly as I would a thumb drive ... open folders on my computer and "send to" LaCie.  So if this needs formatting ... what NTFS or FAT ... another I read about exFAT?  

It seems at each step in this days-long process ... I've found I am totally under-qualified.  Your guidance has been amazing and I know you will be glad to see the end.    Trixie

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:14 PM
  • I had not done anything to my computer when I wrote the above message.  However, my computer was very slow ... my first thought was it's being slowed by the "attempt" to install the update (as that has happened previously).   But usually it clears after the failed attempt.  Still sluggish ... slow .... so I ran CCleaner ... also thought maybe it was Firefox (as I got an offer to speed it) ... so I switched over to Edge. 

It's still very slow and sluggish ... the only thing I've installed in the last few days are the DRIVERS and UPDATES from the Toshiba site for this specific computer.

Trixie

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:00 PM
  • See if the dism command can fix the operating system corruption.

Please save the user files to the 1 TB drive.

This is a link for the different file systems:

https://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:33 PM
  • One additional note regarding my 1 TB external hard drive ... it's WD My Passport Ultra ... from what I'm reading in the help site ....  it only backs-up Data ... copied from their site:

WD My Passport Ultra doesn’t backup your operating system

Trixie

• Edited by trixie' Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:41 PM error in paste action
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:37 PM
  • For the backup please backup the User folder with copy and paste to the external HD.

This way you will have an image using Macrium and the important files backed up.  And in addition you will have a restore point.

For the operating system see if this command can fix the corruption:

1) insert the bootable windows 10 iso into a USB port

2) check the drive letter in disk management

3) in an earlier post you had reported that it was letter e.  Change the drive letter from e if it is not the current drive letter.

4) open administrative command prompt:

5) copy and paste this command

6) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

The above command may take many hours to run.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Currently doing a copy paste into external hard drive.  It's been running for hours.   Trixie
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 11:58 PM
  • Several files gave me a message it could not complete action because file was open in System ... I selected "skip" ... several other files gave me a message of CDP User Svc 2605289 (selected SKIP).  A few were images that the title was too long (they appeared to be images from web searches?) ... another Folder-Content.IE5 Required permission from me(?).  Another 5000+ files had the same name.  After bypassing all these issues I believe it completed the action; however, when I attempted to "safely eject the drive" told me it was still being used by a program.  It appeared to me nothing was running.  Ultimately, I shut down the computer and it finally stopped.  I've made a few notes on some of the initial files causing if that would be helpful.

I will be away from my computer for most of today.   As far as the WD My Passport external drive ... I did not install anything from the drive ... I only set-up the folder for User Files 11_15_2017.  I'll do some more research to see if I caused the problem by NOT following proper set-up actions.                 Trixie

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:47 AM
  • This is the image from the file completed last night    my system is still very Slow and Sluggish .. takes forever to open any folder or program.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:35 PM
  • This is the image from the file completed last night    my system is still very Slow and Sluggish .. takes forever to open any folder or program.

Hi Trixie and questionsformicrosoftproducts,

You have done an amazing troubleshooting job but that was not enough to solve the issue. Now could you both work on a clean installation of windows 10. questionsformicrosoftproducts can continue to assist you in that way. what do you thing?

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:32 PM
  • The backup of the user file to the 1 TB drive is an extra layer of protection.

Please update the progress with the dism command to see if the operating system could be fixed using the windows 10 iso as drive E.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

This is additional information on backup using Macrium.  Run over it again to make sure you have made a proper backup:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backup-restore-macrium-reflect.html

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste: 

1) diskpart

2) list disk

3) type bcdedit | find "osdevice"

3) select disk 0

4) list volume

5) list partition

6) select disk 1

7) list volume

8) list partition

9) exit

10) sfc /scannow

11) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

12) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

13) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:19 PM
  • I am back at this again.   Still working to get the Macrium Backup.  Copied below from site:

"Select if you want to image all selected disks and partitions or only the disks and partitions required to restore Windows. The latter would only select system reserved and C: partitions on a legacy BIOS / MBR system, or all EFI system partitions and C: partition on a UEFI / GPT system:"

Which of the two options am I to chose?  

I am also confused over the term Windows 10 ISO ...   is this the rescue media I created in the first step of Macrium.    OR ...   is this the back-up I made within Windows and saved to my 128 GB thumb drive.  Previously I posted the contents of both of these thumb drives.        OR ... is this something I've missed and NOT done?

I've seen the links to Download Windows 10 ....  was that where I would be getting a Windows 10 ISO?  The first step was to download a creation tool. 

I have not done the dism command because I'm still stuck on the Macrium back-up.      Trixie

Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:17 PM
  • I forgot to mention ... the two new thumb drives I've purchased are:

SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 Flash Drive ....  32 GB each ...   I have NOT opened the package in case they are not what I need to complete any back-up processes yet to be accomplished.    Trixie

Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:46 PM
  • The computer environment is BIOS UEFI   

EFI GPT

This is a tutorial on making a Macrium backup with text and images:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backup-restore-macrium-reflect.html

The Windows 10 iso is the source of files for running the DISM command.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Find a flash drive that is small for the Windows 10 iso.  The size of the iso is approximately 4 GB so an 8 GB drive will easily work.

If you save the windows 10 iso version you can then perform in place upgrade repairs on multiple computers when there are problems with sfc or dism finding operating system corruption.

It is much better to have a flash drive iso as it is more versatile than the website method.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:43 PM
  • This is copied from the tutorial site mentioned above:

"Select if you want to image all selected disks and partitions or only the disks and partitions required to restore Windows. The latter would only select system reserved and C: partitions on a legacy BIOS / MBR system, or all EFI system partitions and C: partition on a UEFI / GPT system:"

Which of the two options am I to chose?  

Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:56 PM
  • Sorry I need so much assistance.   I've decided to go forward with the one "image all" ... I'm guessing it will be hours.  Will put this on the Passport Ex Drive.  It's about 350 GB ... so cannot go on a thumb drive.   Trixie

Thursday, November 16, 2017 8:56 PM
  • To update ...  I have the Macrium Image Back-up ... Macrium Rescue media ....  back-up from Windows (Recovery) ... User files back-up on external drive ... all my personal folders/files back-up on another external drive.

I've gone to this site:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I've clicked on "update now" ...  and downloaded a file  ... am I supposed to execute this file first?

I've clicked on "download tool now" ... and downloaded media creation tool.   Is the second selection the one I am to follow for instructions.   I have a thumb drive for this process.  It mentions ISO ... but also mentions for install to another PC.   This may not be the correct set of instructions ???  Not sure.    Trixie

Maybe the first selection is the appropriate one to follow ... 
    • Edited by trixie' 22 hours 29 minutes ago reading selection one
    22 hours 38 minutes ago
  • On this website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click Create windows 10 installation media to create a Windows 10 iso with version 1709

Then keep the iso available in case there are any operating system problems.

Expand:  Using the tool to create installation media to install windows 10 on a different PC and then follow the text.

20 hours 5 minutes ago
  • At what point will I be doing the following commands?     Trixie

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste: 

1) diskpart

2) list disk

3) type bcdedit | find "osdevice"

3) select disk 0

4) list volume

5) list partition

6) select disk 1

7) list volume

8) list partition

9) exit

10) sfc /scannow

11) dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

12) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

13) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

7 hours 52 minutes ago
  • Run the dism command now to see if you can fix the operating system corruption:

1) Insert the Windows 10 iso into a USB port before running the command

2) Open file explorer and check the letter for the drive

3) if the drive letter for the iso is E then run the command as:

4) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:E:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

5) if the drive letter has changed then change E to the applicable drive letter

6) if the above command does not fix the OS then give this one a try:

7) Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

8) Once you have fixed or attempted to fix the OS then run all of the commands in your latest post.

3 hours 2 minutes ago