none
windows 7 32 bit to windows 7 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• okay i got the upgrade but i only had windows vista 32 bit  is there anyway were i installed windows 7 32 bit  can i upgrade to 64bit it came with the cd but when i put it in it says my computer is not compatable with it due to i own 32bit  is there anway i can get 64bit but not have to buy vista 64bit or another copy of windows ?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:52 AM

Answers

• okay i got the upgrade but i only had windows vista 32 bit  is there anyway were i installed windows 7 32 bit  can i upgrade to 64bit it came with the cd but when i put it in it says my computer is not compatable with it due to i own 32bit  is there anway i can get 64bit but not have to buy vista 64bit or another copy of windows ?

Backup your data and have your programs ready to install again afterwards.  You will need to perform a 'clean install', because the transition from a 32-bit windows install to a 64-bit Windows install is not a 'supported upgrade path' for an over-the-top upgrade install.

After safely doing your data backups etc etc, pop the 64-bit Windows install disk in the drive and boot the machine from it.
    Choose 'Custom' as the install type.
    Choose the location where you wish to install 64-bit Windows.  If you choose a different partition/drive to the one where your 32-bit windows install is located you will end up with a dual-boot configuration.  If you choose the partition where your current install isd located that previous install will be placed into a folder called WINDOWS.OLD

Complete the installation to have a clean, fresh install of 64-bit Windows available for your use.  You can afterwards import your data from the backups, and reinstall any programs you wish to use.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Monday, October 26, 2009 4:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, October 26, 2009 9:49 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:16 AM

All replies

Backup your data and have your programs ready to install again afterwards.  You will need to perform a 'clean install', because the transition from a 32-bit windows install to a 64-bit Windows install is not a 'supported upgrade path' for an over-the-top upgrade install.

After safely doing your data backups etc etc, pop the 64-bit Windows install disk in the drive and boot the machine from it.
    Choose 'Custom' as the install type.
    Choose the location where you wish to install 64-bit Windows.  If you choose a different partition/drive to the one where your 32-bit windows install is located you will end up with a dual-boot configuration.  If you choose the partition where your current install isd located that previous install will be placed into a folder called WINDOWS.OLD

Complete the installation to have a clean, fresh install of 64-bit Windows available for your use.  You can afterwards import your data from the backups, and reinstall any programs you wish to use.
    • Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Monday, October 26, 2009 4:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, October 26, 2009 9:49 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Clean install Windows 7 on another partition and reinstall all application is the practicable method at the current time to upgrade the system from 32 bit to 64bit. Thanks!

Monday, October 26, 2009 9:49 AM