none
What happens during the first logon? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to find out what happens during the first login of a user to a domain on a Windows 7 system. What happens during a users first login opposed to a subsequent login? The first login is 3-4 times longer than ones after. A packet capture shows only a 100 packet difference between the two.

Could someone point me to the correct documentation on the subject?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:58 PM

Answers

• Here is what happens at the first logon.

1. Before you log to the computer. This is the first start, no account already log in. Windows will check the GPO for computer settings in that order:
    GPO Local - Computer setting
    GPO Site
    GPO Domain
    GPO Ou

2. Once you log to the computer. it will create the account for you based on the Default profile (C:\Users\Default) and set the start menu, etc based on %ALLUSERSPROFILE% (c:\ProgramData)

3. Now once the user is logged, it will check again for GPO but this time for user settings
    GPO Local - User Setting
    GPO Site
    GPO Domain
    GPO OU

I hope it helps you. It is normal that it takes time at first log in. It also depend on how many GPO you have in your domain.

regards,

www.revuedugeek.com | Déployer Windows 7
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:27 PM

All replies

• First logon actions will include creation of the users' profile and applying Group Policy objects, both of which take time.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Is there a microsoft document that describes this process in detail?
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:30 AM
  • There is no Microsoft document that describe this process in detail.

I would like to mention that after the first logon is done, many elements will be created (as an example the user profile that will be created and stored on the local machine) and other can be cached on the local computer. It is for that the next logons will be faster. Check your GPOs they can be the cause of that.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Here is what happens at the first logon.

1. Before you log to the computer. This is the first start, no account already log in. Windows will check the GPO for computer settings in that order:
    GPO Local - Computer setting
    GPO Site
    GPO Domain
    GPO Ou

2. Once you log to the computer. it will create the account for you based on the Default profile (C:\Users\Default) and set the start menu, etc based on %ALLUSERSPROFILE% (c:\ProgramData)

3. Now once the user is logged, it will check again for GPO but this time for user settings
    GPO Local - User Setting
    GPO Site
    GPO Domain
    GPO OU

I hope it helps you. It is normal that it takes time at first log in. It also depend on how many GPO you have in your domain.

regards,

www.revuedugeek.com | Déployer Windows 7
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:27 PM