none
Duplicate and Triplicate desktop icons

Question

• Hi, My daughter did something to my desktop and now I have duplicate and triplicate icons...what do I do?

Monday, July 30, 2007 7:37 PM

All replies

• Hello Angie,

this is probably difficult to handle with only this single info - could you give more details please ?
    e.g.
    I assume you asked already your daughter about what she did and could she remember ? This would give some hints.
    the double and triple icons appear for all the icons ?
    what version of Vista do you have ? (premium, ultimate, ... )

If I understand you correct you mean with the term "icon" the "things" on the Desktop like "Recycle Bin", ...
    What happens, if you open Windows Explorer and click on Desktop ? perhaps you can sort the objects after creation time and delete them so (until somebody knowing more of this problem answers) ?

Erkan YILMAZ

• Proposed as answer by abdoon Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:30 PM
    Monday, July 30, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Hi

Erkan YILMAZ

It seems I have done the same thing. I accidently (using explorer) copied (overwrote) the desktop setting of my user profile to the desktop settings of all users.

I now have two icons of each.

Any suggestions how I can undo, restore or fix

Thanks

AndriesR

• Proposed as answer by abdoon Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:28 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by abdoon Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:21 AM

• I'm having a similar problem.

My desktop directory used to be c:\users\du\desktop
    Now it's pointing to c:\users\public\desktop

And the icons are duplicated.

If I right-click on the c:\users\public\desktop, go to properties > location and change my desktop location to the old dir, I still get duplicate icons.

Any clue?
    • Proposed as answer by abdoon Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:31 PM
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 12:04 AM

• Guess I found the solution myself. This is what I did, I changed the following entries in regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

* Double-click Desktop and set it to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

* Set Common Desktop to %PUBLIC%\Desktop

Saturday, October 27, 2007 12:53 AM
  • It really works, thank you vey much.

I just wish i had known that before i got all of my files deleted lol

Stick out tongue

Thursday, November 08, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Hey Mr. D! Thanks for the solution! (Now I can get my sanity back.) Haven't a clue what caused it, the dupes just 'happened' one day. If I deleted one, they BOTH went away. Your solution took care of the problem.

Haven't a clue what, if anything else, the registry change has affected but, at the moment, I'm willing to take the chance. Thanks!!!!! Hope your year's full of good fortune! 

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:30 AM
  • I had the same issue. It happened when I was trying to make all the document and other folders accessible to all members of my family when I first got the computer and imported all the files/folders from my old one. I accepted some prompt somewhere along the way and have had duplicates of all icons except the recycle bin, computer, network and control panel ever since. Mr. Dudu's solution worked. I made the edits to the registry, logged off and restarted and there are no more dupes. 

Thanks Mr. Dudu! You have solved a very irritating problem for me.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 5:34 PM
  • I've got the same problem with my desktop.  The icons are growing and everytime I try to delete them, they come back even more.  I'm trying to understand what you did to correct the problem.  Could you explain again?  I really appreciate your help.  Paula

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Paula,

I tried the solution posted by "Mr. Dudu," on October 27, three posts above mine.

Change the following entries in regedit (start, find, regedit.exe):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

* Double-click Desktop and set it to %USERPROFILE%\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders

* Set Common Desktop to %PUBLIC%\Desktop

It worked for me.

Jonathan

Saturday, August 30, 2008 8:47 PM
  • had this problem myself a long time ago -- i didnt know what to do, so i just kinda forgot about it.
    i dont remember in detail what i did to cause it. i may have deleted the My Documents folder and My Briefcase once?
    gosh, thinking about it now -- isnt there a My Music, My Pictures, etc...?
    i think i recall having those, but now I just have Documents (not My Documents, and no Briefcase), Music, Pictures etc.. (none with "My" in the name).
    i guess I was trying to organize things and lord knows what i deleted, but it never affected my PC performance and all my files were there, so i thought nothing of it. if i recall correctly, i had created my own Music folder, Pictures, and so i deleted the empty "My" ones, as well as the empty Briefcase.

now recently, coming across this post,
    i tried Mr.Dudu's solution, but i still have an extra Desktop and an extra Documents folder (both empty).
    anything else i can do?
    Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:35 AM
  • It works for me too
    How did you know this solution?

Thank you so much!
    Monday, August 03, 2009 3:02 AM
  • It might seem easy to do but Im having the same problem.  Ive been looking for how to get to what you did but I cant seem to find the way there.   And im not computer illerterate.   please tell me where to go to find how to do this.  Its driving me crazy.

cteyest10

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:44 PM
  • It might seem easy to do but Im having the same problem.  Ive been looking for how to get to what you did but I cant seem to find the way there.   And im not computer illerterate.   please tell me where to go to find how to do this.  Its driving me crazy.

cteyest10

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:49 PM
  • I keep trying but still cant find where to go for all this... eeeeesh!! HELP!!!!!

cteyes10

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:56 PM