none
DEP keeps stopping the Print Spooler Service

Question

• Since upgrading to Vista Ultimate about a month ago I've been unable to print.

I have a Dell PC (<3yrs old) and a Dell Photo AIO 922 printer.  Latest driver downloaded but it cannot be installed because the spooler is always shut down even when I manually restart it.  So I cannot now even uninstall and re-install.

Please help

Thanks
    Friday, July 25, 2008 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandy,

If you close DEP, does the issue occur?

For more information about DEP, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352/en-us

if the issue still persist, you can refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

First, let’s make sure that the Print Spooler service is only dependent on the RPC service and HTTP.

To do this, follow these steps:

1.Click Start , type regedit in the Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.Right-click Computer, click Export, Save a backup file on your desktop.

NOTE: If an unexpected issue be encountered after modifying registry, please double click the backup file to restore registry.

a. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

b. In the details pane, if the DependOnService value shows values of RPCSS, HTTP and other key, right-click DependOnService, and then click Modify. 

c. In the Value data box, delete other key, and then click OK. 

3. Exit Registry Editor. 

NOTE: If the HTTP cannot be found, it is normal, please continue to take following suggestions.

Then, let’s take the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue.

Before trying the following Steps, please disconnected the Printer from the computer.

Step 1:

===============================

Click "Start", type "regedit" in Research Bare and press "Enter". Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 2:

Browse to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NTx86\Drivers\Version-3

If its 64 bit edition need to Check Windows NTx64 folder and follow the Below step.

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 3:

Locate and then expand the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

PJL Language Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above has to be deleted. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.

Step 4:

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

Go to safe mode.

Open "My Computer" and browse to the folder: 

Go to the Following folder

(i) C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86

(ii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

(iii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

If its 64 bit edition Need to check the x64 folder in all the location above mention.

And then delete all the files and the folders in the following 3 folders.

Check Whether the Spooler services is Working Properly.

Step 5:

Try to Install the Printer Drivers and Application.

In addition, you also can refer to the following thread:

DEP Stops the Spooler (Spoolsv.exe) from working

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3532899&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Sandy,

If you close DEP, does the issue occur?

For more information about DEP, please refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A detailed description of the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature in Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352/en-us

if the issue still persist, you can refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

First, let’s make sure that the Print Spooler service is only dependent on the RPC service and HTTP.

To do this, follow these steps:

1.Click Start , type regedit in the Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.Right-click Computer, click Export, Save a backup file on your desktop.

NOTE: If an unexpected issue be encountered after modifying registry, please double click the backup file to restore registry.

a. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

b. In the details pane, if the DependOnService value shows values of RPCSS, HTTP and other key, right-click DependOnService, and then click Modify. 

c. In the Value data box, delete other key, and then click OK. 

3. Exit Registry Editor. 

NOTE: If the HTTP cannot be found, it is normal, please continue to take following suggestions.

Then, let’s take the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue.

Before trying the following Steps, please disconnected the Printer from the computer.

Step 1:

Click "Start", type "regedit" in Research Bare and press "Enter". Browse to the following registry key by clicking the PLUS (+) sign:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand Printers key. All current printers installed on your computer are listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 2:

Browse to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NTx86\Drivers\Version-3

If its 64 bit edition need to Check Windows NTx64 folder and follow the Below step.

Click the PLUS (+) sign to expand "Version-3". All printer drivers which have been installed on your computer will be listed there. Please right click each subkey in it on the left pane and click "Delete".

Step 3:

Locate and then expand the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

View the list of subkeys. There should only be the following subkeys for the default print monitors:

BJ Language Monitor

Local Port

PJL Language Monitor

Standard TCP/IP Port

USB Monitor

If there are any subkeys other than the subkeys that are listed above has to be deleted. To do this, right-click each subkey that is not on the list, and then click Delete. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.

Step 4:

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.

Go to safe mode.

Open "My Computer" and browse to the folder: 

Go to the Following folder

(i) C:\Windows\System32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86

(ii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

(iii) C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

If its 64 bit edition Need to check the x64 folder in all the location above mention.

And then delete all the files and the folders in the following 3 folders.

Check Whether the Spooler services is Working Properly.

Step 5:

Try to Install the Printer Drivers and Application.

In addition, you also can refer to the following thread:

DEP Stops the Spooler (Spoolsv.exe) from working

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3532899&SiteID=17

Hope it helps.

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:15 AM
  • The question was about the problem on Windows Vista. The answer refers only to Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and Windows Server 2003. Is this solution valid on Windows Vista too?
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:17 PM
  • I had been printing some maps from Google when my spooler was shut down and attempts to restart had DEP shut it down. Reboots, and installing an updated printer driver just caused further DEP spooler shutdowns.

From another forum I had seen the suggestion to be sure the print spool directory was empty. So I browsed to C:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS and there were a couple of files in there including what looked like a flash file. I deleted both of them and started the print spooler service and all was good. I didn't touch the registry.

Tom.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Your suggestions helped me solving the same printspooler problem on a Vista machine. Thanx!
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 9:53 AM