none
task manager has been disabled by your administrator error HELP!!

Question

• I get the following error message when I try to launch the Task Manager in Windows Vista. U upgraded from XP Home.

task manager has been disabled by your administrator error

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:21 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem and I tried these long drawn out steps with no results. Then I tried this suggestion from another website and it worked instantly and is soooo easy.

click "Start" and then "Run"
    type in the following...

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

when i hit OK, i had a little black box pop up and then disappear.. i thought it was odd but then i hit the ctl+ald+dlt and my task manager was enabled again, I was so happy that this was so simple!
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:11 AM
  •  

Hi,

Let’s try the following method to resolve the issue:

1.    Click Start, type gpedit and press Enter.

2.    Navigate to the following registry key:

Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3.    Right-click “System” and click Export to back up the registry key.

4.    Change the value of "DisableTaskMgr" on the right pane from 1 to 0.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:19 AM
  • Does anybody have ANY Suggestions AT ALL??

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:42 AM
  • This definitely worked to re-enable my task manager ( I don't even know what happened to disable it!). The "regedit" and "gpedit" didn't work so I tried this. Thanks Fran!!

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

that was the easiest fix for a problem ever! Thanks. I'm filing the string for future use should the problem reoccur.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:21 PM
  • most likely you have a virus that keeps on resetting that feature.

go to trendmicro.com and use housecall bottom left of the page.

that will scan and clean your pc, afterwards, try to reset..

good luck.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:07 AM
  • I have Vista and I cant find the registry keys.

I have tried several others, e.g. Trend Micro Systems wouldnt scan my computer

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:37 PM
  • This was awesome, I followed it, entered it exactly as i saw it and it worked!

Thanks so much,

Chuck

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 7:53 AM
  •  

This post helped me more than any other, but I had to type regedit instead of gpedit. After that it was very easy to follow and worked like a charm.

Thanks Tim

Thursday, June 05, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Unbelievable!!  I am a totally dork when trying to fix computers but this actually worked as nothing else looked like  my registries, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:11 PM

All replies

• Does anybody have ANY Suggestions AT ALL??

Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:42 AM
  •  

Hi,

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:19 AM
  • I had the same problem and I tried these long drawn out steps with no results. Then I tried this suggestion from another website and it worked instantly and is soooo easy.

type in the following...

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

when i hit OK, i had a little black box pop up and then disappear.. i thought it was odd but then i hit the ctl+ald+dlt and my task manager was enabled again, I was so happy that this was so simple!
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 5:11 AM
  • This definitely worked to re-enable my task manager ( I don't even know what happened to disable it!). The "regedit" and "gpedit" didn't work so I tried this. Thanks Fran!!

Monday, April 28, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Thanks!  It really was that simple.

Thursday, May 01, 2008 4:12 AM
  • eey man, thnx for ur tip, it was useful, bt unfortunatly every time I re start ma laptop, it been disabled again, have any Ideas??Smile

Thursday, May 08, 2008 5:40 PM
  •  

that was the easiest fix for a problem ever! Thanks. I'm filing the string for future use should the problem reoccur.

Monday, May 12, 2008 8:21 PM
  • most likely you have a virus that keeps on resetting that feature.

go to trendmicro.com and use housecall bottom left of the page.

that will scan and clean your pc, afterwards, try to reset..

good luck.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 1:07 AM
  • I have Vista and I cant find the registry keys.

I have tried several others, e.g. Trend Micro Systems wouldnt scan my computer

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:37 PM
  • This was awesome, I followed it, entered it exactly as i saw it and it worked!

Thanks so much,

Chuck

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 7:53 AM
  •  

This post helped me more than any other, but I had to type regedit instead of gpedit. After that it was very easy to follow and worked like a charm.

Thanks Tim

Thursday, June 05, 2008 10:35 PM
  • Unbelievable!!  I am a totally dork when trying to fix computers but this actually worked as nothing else looked like  my registries, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I tried the Regedit, Regedt32 and the steps from above and it still did not change the status of Task Mgr, it is still disabled.  I have no idea where to turn to next to enable Task Mgr, any body else have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Monday, June 09, 2008 7:58 PM
  •  

Try adding your user to the administrators group. Also type run "control userpasswords2" without the quotes and look at the user list and it will give you a list of users who are on the machine and ensure that you are logged on as administrator.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:02 PM
  • I have not been able to see the answer.  I just want to enable my task manager and need to know where would i need to go to enable ?

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:17 PM
  • 1) open Run

2) type regedit

3) Follow to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Policies

double click on System

4) you will find disabletaskmgr

Right click on it and open Modify

Under Value Data change the number  1 to 0

Click ok

you have your task manager back

Good Luck

• Proposed as answer by Riddarn Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:46 PM
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:37 AM
  •  

Thanksyou SOOOOO much, had this problem for months, finally fixed!
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Thanks Fran, after a load of trojans on my wife's pc, a lot of the system admin features were disabled, but with many of the posts here, we were able to get everything cleaned and working again, your solution was the final fix, and man was it easy, Thank you for sharing.
    Thursday, July 03, 2008 6:02 PM
  • i had this problem due to a trojan infection (Vundo) , i cleaned my pc, but the task manager was still disabled, i tried the regedit fix, but it didn't work for my pc, Fran's suggestion did the work, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Rolas

Thursday, July 10, 2008 1:01 AM
  • my regedit itself not opening could u help on this

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:59 PM
  • This has been driving me crazy for some time.  Thank you so much for the simple fix to this frustrating problem!

Ginger

Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:25 PM
  • I am using a complete "Vista" Sytem.  This was the only one that worked.  The other method..... well I had the little window pop up but nothing else happend, the Task Manager would still not work.  I had to type for the regedit comand and not the gpedit, so my tip try both it only too 2 minutes to do, it actually took more time to read the post so full you boots guys.  I am a noob at repairing PCs good luck Im happy now I have my task manager back.  :-)

Edd

Saturday, August 23, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Thank you Tim Quan  I had a virus that i got rid of, but still had this to fix. I am sorry I tried the easier one first but it was worth a shot. Anyways yours was simple too just as long as you know were to find you regedit  which you can find threw search or if you go to your windows folder it is usually right there. so thank you again and have a great day.

Tim Quan - MSFT wrote:

Hi,

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Sunday, September 14, 2008 11:52 AM
  • very very very helpful. thanks.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Hi, I'm using Vista, and when i try to run my task manager, i just get a pop up from microsoft that says it has stopped working,and that it'll look for a solution, which it promptly fails to do... opened regedit, and got to

Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies, but there wasnt any 'system' in it, just a default file that's a REG_SZ, with no value attached to it...checked for viruses, dont have any that i know of, any ideas on how to get it working again?....any help would be appreciated..oh and i tried Fran's string, but to no avail....

Saturday, September 20, 2008 8:29 PM
  • You are a Godsend!!!!!  THANK YOU!  I have lived with this error message for six months now.

Can you explain what a windows certificate is and how they work?  I am trying to set up a wireless network and every time I enable security on the network my computer starts looking for one and won't connect to the internet.  Anyone one have any experience with Kyocera KR2 879?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:27 AM
  • Thank you so much.  I've been trying for weeks to eliminate this error message and had no luck (even with MS Tech Support on the phone).  I cut/pasted this link, and it worked perfectly in only a few seconds.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Thanks I've trying to fix this for the past month and this did it in 20 seconds.

Friday, October 03, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Thanks FranMc!  worked like a charm!!  You saved me hours...

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:12 AM
  • THANKS SO MUCH.   IVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS FOR WEEKS!!

Saturday, November 01, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Perfect! Worked like a charm!! Thank you, Fran, this had been driving me crazy!!!

(P.S.) I had been infected with a terrible virus and had it repaired. Then, I noticed that my Task Manager Overview still wasn't working. I was worried that some of the virus was still on my computer and I was gonna be without my computer again!!!

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:40 AM
  • I don't how task manager became disabled and I don't care.  Thanks for helping me correct this problem.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 12:59 PM
  • You absolute legend, cheers mate, worked a treat, very grateful for your suggestion
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  Thanks,your post worked and was helpful & simple.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:12 PM
  • I really appreciate such an easy solution.
    Monday, January 05, 2009 9:17 PM
  • I did this and the black box came up but when I tried to ctrl+alt+delete...i got the same error message again. Maybe I entered too many spaces or something.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Ok never mind my last reply. I just copied and pasted the exact thing from the post and put it into the run box and it worked...thanks...that was really easy....
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:48 AM
  • thanks for task manager. its working fine....!!! 
    but i still have problem of regedit and gpedit.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Try a scan with Malwarebytes it will fix all your issues.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ 

Try this out.

The Wonerful tool.

Or Call Microsoft PC Saftey at 1-800-936-5700

to resolve this issue
    Arun
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:30 AM
  • OMG...what a quick fix.  We have been trying to fix this literally for over six months.  Nothing would work until I did this....took 5 seconds.  Thank you, thank you !!!!
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Thanks Thanks thanks ...... Thanks a Lot buddy.. Thansk.........

If you dont mind please send me answer od this queston..

my internet browser automatic gets home page  www.sioril.com  what can i do to remove it.

• Proposed as answer by Najam US Saqib Monday, November 29, 2010 1:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:10 PM
  • Thanks Tim, I went to "regedit" found the key and changed it, now my taskmanager is back! Now I just need to find out what caused it!
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 6:23 PM
  •  awesome, my PC - problem has flown away thanks for your help
    • Edited by WRITE2VINOD Friday, December 23, 2011 3:57 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 3:56 PM
  • thnx a lot man it worked now i can use the Task Manager...
    Monday, January 09, 2012 10:12 PM
  • Worked beautifully for W 7 too, very easy to follow instructions.

Thank's a lot :)

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 2:48 PM

type in the following...

Thanks this info really helped

Friday, July 06, 2012 4:36 PM
  • This issue mostly occurs due to rundll32.exe virus. It disables Registry aswell as Task Manager.

Follow below steps to fix the issue.

To enable task Manager on a computer running other editions of Windows Vista & Windows 7

1. Click the Start button , type gpedit.msc in the search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. Under User Configuration, double-click Administrative Templates.

3. Double-click System, and then click Crtl+Alt+Del Options.

4. Double-click Remove Task Manager, click Disabled, and then click OK.

After fixing Task Manager issue.

Go fix Registry issue.

1. Click on Start -> Run 
    2. Enter GPEdit.msc and then press Enter.
    3. Navigate to the following location:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System

4. In the Settings pane, locate the Prevent access to registry editing tools option, and then double-click on it to open the settings dialog.
    5. Select Disabled or Not Configured.
    6. Click on OK button.
    7. Try to run RegEdit.exe, and if required (still blocking yet. Restart the computer

• Proposed as answer by GuRuVeEr Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:21 PM
    • Edited by GuRuVeEr Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 3:21 PM
  • I have tried all of the fixes above and still cannot enable task manager.  As for running GPedit.msc/gpedit that will not initialize at all on the PC.  It was infected with viruses and Malware which according to the scans has been removed.  However I still cannot get into the task manager.  The systyem in windows 7 64 bit
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Thank you.  I tried a bunch of other thinks on the web but nothing worked except this.  Thanks.

Gus

Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:29 AM
  • I have a windows 7 laptop... and FranMc tip helped!  Thanks, Fran!

All I need now is for my Start Button Menu to say more than Lock & Log Off >:-/

PS:  All that's different is under Computer, select "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" instread of "HKCU"

• Edited by fredi11 Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:37 PM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:33 PM

• Wow that worked immediately. Thanks Tim :)
    • Proposed as answer by Roxz Monday, July 15, 2013 7:11 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2013 7:10 AM
  • this is so simple ...thnks ,,,,
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Trend Micro's House Call disabled task manager, so I came here looking for help.

I found your statement ironic.
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 6:40 PM
  • I bought a Windows 7 computer second-hand, and Task Manager was disabled on it.  I tried this, and it worked!  
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 7:32 AM
  • such an easy thing to do, especially by bringing up the Run window with the Windows key + R key and pasting in the command and click OK...box popped up and disappeared, task manager working normally again. Thanks!
    Monday, December 23, 2013 4:54 AM
  • didnt work :l

Friday, February 07, 2014 11:11 AM