none
SCCM 1906 - OSD fails only on 1 model with Windows Installation Cannot Proceed error RRS feed

• Question

• 4 different computer models - HP EliteBook g2, g3, g4 and ProDesk G4.  All work EXCEPT EliteBook G4.  TS is the same across all models, as the drivers are accounted for in the TS.  The drivers do not seem to be the issue, I don't think.  TS works on the G4 until it attempts to boot into Win 10 1803 OS.. then it gets a "Windows Installation Cannot Proceed" error.  I cannot F8 or Shift-F10 when in SCCM/OSD, but I have a USB/MDT option and was able to use that to check if this was an SCCM/OSD issue or something with the model/SKU.  The error also occurs during the USB/MDT stick image process.. same place, same error.  Gets a BSOD error just prior.  Using USB method I can Shift-F10 and check the registry.  I followed a suggestion to mod the HKLM\System\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion key from '1' to '3' and rebooted.. then the machine was able to move forward in the TS but did not domain join.  I'm assuming that same would happen in SCCM/OSD if I could mod the reg at the same point.

Of course, this means that either we are needing to adjust our TS for this model or there is an issue with this HP x360 G4 EliteBook.  Seeing that I can rule out the same TS across all other EliteBooks and ProDesk G4, then what could this be?

Anyone else having a similar issue, same model?

Thursday, January 16, 2020 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

1.As with all task sequence issues and troubleshooting, it's firstly recommended to examine the smsts.log on the target system to see if there is any further information about this issue.
    Please refer to the following article to export the smsts.log to troubleshoot the task sequence error.
    SCCM: How to copy SMSTS.log when a Task Sequence fails

Please make sure the "Enable command support (testing only)" option is checked in the Customization Tab of the boot images.

2. Here are similar threads for your reference:
    Error message "The Computer Restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" after System Startup on Windows 7 Recovery
    "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" during sysprep 

Please note: The links are not from Microsoft, just for your reference. Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:11 AM
  • Simon,

Thanks for your reply.  However, I am not a novice at this game, and have already attempted to investigate log files, etc.  Your advice is sound, but I am posting to see if anyone else can kick back a quick reply based on the fact that I appear to have a MODEL issue, not an SCCM OSD issue since the same TS works across multiple other form factors from HP but THIS one.

I am hopeful that someone might be able to recognize this who also must put up with HP garbage as I'm on a limited timeline to get this resolved, and it's the only outstanding issue blocking my success.  I have also opened a ticket with HP as I don't believe this is an issue due to SCCM but perhaps to the firmware or formatting of the drive on this model, or perhaps some missing driver or driver issue.

Surely someone out here on Technet has a client or supports a business who is an HP shop that has encountered a similar experience with the hardware.

Friday, January 17, 2020 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

I will do more research about this question to see if there is any update. And we are also waiting for other community members to confirm. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 8:59 AM
  • Are your absolutelly sure that your TS completes on G4? If you are familiar with TS status message queries, can you confirm, at what TS stage you stop with G4? 

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

Monday, January 20, 2020 12:05 PM
  • TS does NOT complete on a G4 - 

I have found an article that points to HP - apparently this may be due to how the network driver behaves on this model.

Also - contrary to ANY article on pressing F8/ShiftF10 - this does not work on an SCCM (1906 CB) TS once the machine boots into OS and the error appears.  That does work on an MDT (USB stick process) driven TS on the same machine.

Opened a ticket with HP.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 4:48 AM
  • Okay, so does it halt when going on OSphase? Nothing else continues after that, right? You need to identify the stage where it stops. I would bet on drivers then, just upgrade latest bios and try to pick up latest or different drivers for it.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10, ALOVPN, MBAM.

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Agree with Pavel here. Please upgrade the network driver and Firmware to have a try. Hope everything goes well.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

May we know the current status of the question? If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know, we will do our best to help you.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

Sunday, January 26, 2020 2:48 AM