none
Record WAV audio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I Would like to record a WAV audio file for use in an outlook alert.

I have windows 7 Pro, and it seems tha we can no longer create WAV files with the Sound Recorder app!

We used to be able to do this with sound recorder. can anyone hep with this?

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• By default, the Sound Recorder in Windows 7 to save in .wma format. However, you can save it in .wav format by using this command:

Go to Start, type soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:29 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:34 AM

All replies

• By default, the Sound Recorder in Windows 7 to save in .wma format. However, you can save it in .wav format by using this command:

Go to Start, type soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:29 AM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Cool, thank you. Not very ribbon like though.   ;-)

John.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:24 PM
  • Doesn't Work... jkust records in wma format which is USELESS.
    Sunday, January 22, 2017 4:19 PM
  • Open a CMD window (type CMD from the Start)

CD to C:\Windows\System32        (or to where the soundrecorder.exe file is)

soundrecorder.exe /file outputfile.wav

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:38 PM
  • Has anyone been successful with spduzan's solution?
    Monday, March 27, 2017 1:07 AM
  • The original answer by Linda Yan worked for me.

ltheONEl

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:20 AM
  • This solution also worked for me.  However, I would like to know if there is a way to make WAV the default output.

With the solution as given, it is necessary to enter the command string each time to get an output WAV file.  I even tried setting a desktop shortcut to the command string, but it still reverts to WAV file.

Thanks!

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:21 PM
  • I haven't tested it, but if Linda Yan's solution is right you could just open notepad and type:

"soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav"

then save the file as "something.bat".

When you click it, it will execute the command as if you had typed it yourself!

Sunday, June 4, 2017 3:46 PM
  • brilliant! thank you so much, russ
    Sunday, April 8, 2018 6:50 AM