none
Turning off the screen turns off the sound RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have got a very annoying issue with my laptop.

I am using Dell XPS 9q33. It has no function key to turn off the screen, but I can set the power buton to do it.

The problem is that when I turn it off, the music goes off to, and so do other plugged monitors.

Now, that would be comprehendable if not for the little detail. Windows Music Groove works allright with the screen turned off. The music keeps playing.

I tried using software like monitoroff, screenoff, LCDoff, that sends a command to switch off the power of LCD. The result is the same. I tried contacting windows suport and dell suport, but they gave me nothing ("so, why can't you just use groove?")

Can you help? Or at least tell, if you have got any experience with XPS 12 9q33?

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:21 PM

All replies

• I am using Dell XPS 9q33. It has no function key to turn off the screen, but I can set the power buton to do it.

The problem is that when I turn it off, the music goes off to, and so do other plugged monitors.

Sounds like you've set the power button to sleep or hibernate which of course would stop both video and audio.

Go to Power & sleep settings (Win Key + I, System, Power & sleep).  From there you can set the time for the Screen to turn off.  This will turn off the screen without putting the PC to sleep (or hibernate).

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:04 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

That is, however, exactly what I was not asking for.

See, the power button is just one of the issues. I would not really complain on it, if only one of the screen off programs worked propperly.

The problem is that the command supposed just to turn off the backlight of the screen, turns off the sound and extra monitors as well. And the real puzzle is that Microsoft Groove Music plays music with screen off and even sleep mode (as I would like other players to).

• Edited by Gabrielsky Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

As the issue is related to Microsoft Groove Music, you could ask for help from Microsoft Community Windows 10 app section.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10

If you want to use a command to turn off screen and make computer enter sleep mode, which command you used? In general, running the following command puts the computer in Sleep mode.

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Well, it’s actually not accurate. If the hibernation is enabled, the same command actually puts the computer in hibernation instead of sleeping.

You will need to turn the Hibernation off if you need to put the computer in sleep mode.

powercfg -h off

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

powercfg -h on

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:22 AM