When I installed the Windows 8.1 Previews, both Pro and Enterprise, on VMware Workstation 9 virtual machines, I found that the Windows Networking just didn't work right. It would try to work, but would then stall. Invoking other network activity
- even something like a web speed test - would magically wake it up.
With the help of the VMware people, we isolated the problem to be in the emulated Intel e1000e network interface.
The fix is trivally simple: Edit the .vmx file that describes the virtual machine, and change the virtual NIC from "e1000e" to "e1000". You'll end up with something like this:
Microsoft is conducting an online survey to understand your opinion of the Technet Web site. If you choose to participate, the online survey will be presented to you when you leave the Technet Web site.