none
How can I best use dism /apply-unattend RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm trying to figure out when dism /apply-unattend will help me. If I could ask a series of questions. 

1. Should/can it be used within WinPE after applying the WIM?
    2. Should/can it be used against a mounted WIM?
    3. Does the syspreped WIM have to have had the unattend.xml file specified via the /unattend switch and a unattend.xml file already in the image?.. If so.. at what location in the image.. c:\windows\panther or c:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther ?
    4. Does it apply the whole answer file or just the portions in the Offline servicing pass?
    5. Will it work with an AutoUnattend.xml?

So far I've used /apply-unattend in WinPE against a syspreped WIM and with a syspreped Mounted WIM with no success. No unattend.xml appeared in c:\windows\panther or c:\<mymountdir>\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther. Should it?

I have not tried using the sysprep /unattend switch and specifying an unattend.xml file yet.

The ideal situation for me would be to make a very generic syspreped WIM and then selectively apply an answer file later.
    I understand that I can easily just use the sysyprep /unattend switch and specify the unattend.xml file but that would require me to prepare a machine/VM and leave it at the state just prior to syspreping it at all times... which isn't so bad but I'd rather just mount the WIM, inject the Answer file and be done with it. Is this even possible?

Please ignore typo's and bad grammar.. it's late :)

• Edited by BranM Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:32 PM typo
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:03 AM

Answers

All replies