none
0xC004F074 error when trying to activate windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a pre-installed Windows 8 on my laptop and it's activated. But after a few months, it becomes deactivated. Don't know what to do....when I try to activate it, I get an error message:

Error code:            0xC004F074

Error description:   The Software Licensing Service reported that the product could not be activated. No Key Management Service (KMS) could be contacted. Please see the Application Event Log for additional information.

Please help

P.S. needing serious help

Thursday, May 9, 2013 12:36 PM

Answers

• Tip: To everyone else reading this...

If you bought a PC with
    Windows 8 pre-installed, record the Product Key when you get a moment.
    It's no longer on a sticker on the bottom of your pc... like it used to
    be. The Product Key is now integrated with the motherboard. Most times,
    if you reinstall Win8, it will automatically activate. But it's a good
    idea to record it- for cases like above.

The product key is on your System ... Control Panel window, at the bottom.

Hint: The Snipping Tool is good for this. Go to Charms | Search, then type 'snipp' to display the link for the tool.

used: Dos, MSDos, Win3, Win95, WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8 || AIX/Linux, etc: HP AIX, IBM AIX, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Puppy Linux, OS/2, VM/CMS, SAP

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:59 AM

All replies

• Sounds like the copy you were sold was activated by KMS.  Now that it can no longer contact that KMS server, it's reverting to unlicensed.  Were you provided a Key when you bought the laptop?  If so, just run slui 3 from a Command Prompt and provide your key and activate.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by Carl Ramirez Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Carl Ramirez Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:41 PM
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:27 PM
  • hello..

no, there was no copy given. It was pre-installed when I bought it. I have tried every troubleshoots I know: slmgr.vbs commands, but still getting this error. Tried to run "sfc /scannow" command on an elevated command prompt, and it says there's an error I don't understand. Is there a chance that my system is corrupt?? Any suggestions??

Thanks for the time and help though...

Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I'd contact who you purchased it from and ask for the Key.  As I said before, that error (0xC004F074) does not indicate corruption... it indicates the machine is no longer able to talk to the KMS Server and as such, your device is no longer licensed.  You were either licensed by KMS and aren't anymore, or were in a "grace period" and are no longer in that window.  You'll have to provide a Key to Active / License Windows.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:56 PM
  • Tip: To everyone else reading this...

If you bought a PC with
    Windows 8 pre-installed, record the Product Key when you get a moment.
    It's no longer on a sticker on the bottom of your pc... like it used to
    be. The Product Key is now integrated with the motherboard. Most times,
    if you reinstall Win8, it will automatically activate. But it's a good
    idea to record it- for cases like above.

The product key is on your System ... Control Panel window, at the bottom.

Hint: The Snipping Tool is good for this. Go to Charms | Search, then type 'snipp' to display the link for the tool.

used: Dos, MSDos, Win3, Win95, WinXP, Vista, Win7, and Win8 || AIX/Linux, etc: HP AIX, IBM AIX, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Puppy Linux, OS/2, VM/CMS, SAP

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Good Idea Dan  +1

Several good utilities that can find it for you like AIDA64.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:27 AM