none
Standard Logon screen background color RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have about 60 domain computers that I would like to change the Logon screen background without having to go to each computer and changing it. Is there a way to push it out through domain GPO or another more productive way.

Also why is my logon screen background different, when I log in remotely to my workstation, then if I logged in at my desk?

Thank you,

Richard

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Meanwhile, do you mean that you want to change the default logon screen for all computers? To do this, you need to set the regsitry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Authentication/LogonUI/Background

OEMBackground change its value from 0 to 1 We can deploy the registry to all clients via GPP\Registry

or use GPMC.msc to enable Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Logon.

it has the same impacts as the registry above

Then we need to create a new image (less than 256 K) under %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgrounddefault.jpg.

This can be done via Computer Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Files

I would like to share this detailed guide with you as reference.

https://mikecrowley.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/how-to-set-windows-7s-login-wallpaper-with-group-policies/

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:26 AM

All replies

• I'd have to research the best way to push backgrounds through GPO's but the reason that your background is different on an RDP session is an attempt to limit the amount of bandwidth being used. You can change the settings if you'd like. Oen Remote Desktop connection, click options in the bottom left, select the Experience tab and then customize the check boxes to your liking.

• Edited by Acreed02 Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:53 PM
  • I would actually prefer using the background that is used with the RDP session.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Meanwhile, do you mean that you want to change the default logon screen for all computers? To do this, you need to set the regsitry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Authentication/LogonUI/Background

OEMBackground change its value from 0 to 1 We can deploy the registry to all clients via GPP\Registry

or use GPMC.msc to enable Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Logon.

it has the same impacts as the registry above

Then we need to create a new image (less than 256 K) under %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds\backgrounddefault.jpg.

This can be done via Computer Configuration\Preferences\Windows Settings\Files

I would like to share this detailed guide with you as reference.

https://mikecrowley.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/how-to-set-windows-7s-login-wallpaper-with-group-policies/

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 5:26 AM