Windows Explorer - Slow performance (Deleting, Moving and Renaming Files)

Question

• I'm experiencing lags/periods of non-responsiveness with Windows Explorer on Windows 7 (x64 Ultimate). I've moved from Vista (Fresh Win7 install, not an upgrade) and never had these problems before.

I've several large uncompressed AVI files (20gb+) and other x264 MKV (4-11gb) files dotted throughout the system, renaming these files can lock up explorer.exe for up to 3 minutes - it's a simple file rename, I see no reason for it to take longer than the milliseconds it took on any other Windows OS right up to Vista. Even smaller AVI files (200-250mb) take their time renaming.

Moving files ranging from 100mb-6gb from the root of a partition to a subfolder 1 level down (G:\ to G:\Projects) actually shows up a moving dialog box and can take up to 30 seconds. Projects has 150 files in it, G:\ has 5 folders and 1 file (the one for moving). Moving 1 file from root to subfolder on the same partition should be practically instantaneous - it is on OS X, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Linux but not on Windows 7

Deleting files - I seem to have this "discovering items" problem that hangs the deletion process. If I delete a file in G:\ (keeping in mind there's only 1 file there at a time, and 5 folders), the file is disappears from G:\ instantly but the "Recycling" dialog appears and stalls at "Discovering Items" and "Recycling". It can take up to 1 minute to delete a single 270mb file. I fail to see what Windows 7 is doing that's taking it so long to delete a single file.

I've got the same issues on two machines - one is an Apple laptop (2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 5400rpm 500gb WD Scorpio Blue hard drive) running a completely fresh out-of-the-box install, the only thing I've done is update using Windows Update. The other is my main PC, running 2.83Ghz Q9550, 2x1TB 7200rpm RAID1 with 4GB of DDR3. This machine has updates, and other software installed such as Antivirus, driver updates and my day-to-day applications.

I have disabled Windows Search on both computers to no help, I've "clean booted" both machines which also didn't help.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Monday, October 26, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested these operations with some huge media files on my test machines and found this did not occur.

Please also try the following to check the issue:

1.    May I know if some removable storage devices are also included in these operations?

2.    Run the command “Chkdsk” to check the disk:

Chkdsk

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:02 AM
  • The problem is widespread, many people reported it already. Unfortunately, I do not have a solution to fix Windows 7 at the moment but the problem occurs on all our Windows 7 machines (64 bit only, we haven't tested it on 32 bit). As the same problem did exist (but not that bad) in Vista, I assume it is a "feature" after all and Microsoft will do nothing to get a responsive OS again and sacrifice some of the GUI "enhancements". Chkdsk does not help unless you really have a problem with your disk. I am pretty sure this is not the case.

There are two approaches to resolve the issue:

1. Go back to Windows XP.
    2. Install a File Management Tool to replace explorer. There are several tools available.

/Klaus
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:32 AM
  • The problem is widespread, many people reported it already. Unfortunately, I do not have a solution to fix Windows 7 at the moment but the problem occurs on all our Windows 7 machines (64 bit only, we haven't tested it on 32 bit). As the same problem did exist (but not that bad) in Vista, I assume it is a "feature" after all and Microsoft will do nothing to get a responsive OS again and sacrifice some of the GUI "enhancements". Chkdsk does not help unless you really have a problem with your disk. I am pretty sure this is not the case.

There are two approaches to resolve the issue:

1. Go back to Windows XP.
    2. Install a File Management Tool to replace explorer. There are several tools available.

/Klaus

I too am having the same problem. I just did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and the file copy and delete functions are terribly slow. They are worse than the RC version, and worse than Windows Vista. I use the 64 bit versions. Last night was 45 minutes to copy a 1GB file from my SATA hard drive to a USB 2.0 memory stick. What gives? Windows XP completes this function in a few minutes. Deleting files from my NAS takes about 20 minutes for around 5 GB of files.

Any help from MS on fixing this would be much appreciated.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:51 PM
  • Do the same operations take the same amount of time if one uses the CMD prompt to perform the operation, rather than Explorer?  Is the behavior the same with AV / security software uninstalled (not just disabled - uninstalled)?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:57 AM
  • It looks like the command line interface is working ok. I currently have no AV software installed.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Since programs other than explorer.exe are not affected... Consider checking what modules are loaded into explorer.exe's address space, and trying to eliminate ones that aren't necessary and / or are from third parties.  In addition, consider checking the behavior of Explorer in Safe Mode...
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:19 PM
  • I have the same problem with Windows 7 64-bit edition. The problem goes away once I restart the machine. However, it comes back if I don't restart for few days.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Same problem here with Windows 7 64bits Ultimate
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:18 AM
  • I also have the same problem on Win 7 64-bit Professional.  Will go away on restart but come back shortly after in a day or less.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:16 PM
  • I'm having same problem when renaming the files. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

The workaround is to use command line to rename the file. It worked for me just fine. There appreas to be some locking/contention when using explorer for renaming the file.
    • Proposed as answer by Manish J Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Count me in on this.

Win 7, 64 bit, AMD FX62 based PC

I have a problem with TGA (Targa) files. I cannot rename, delete and do as others here mention. IN EXPLORER.

I get the "discovering items" window too.

I have gone into the command prompt window and when I "attrib" the files I sometimes see an "I"

Occasionally I can delete a file in the command prompt, but often I still can't. What is this "I" attribute? I have removed it using attrib -I and was once able to delete a .tga file

BUT I think I have found a way to fool windows here too. Simply rename the files in command prompt to a standard 8.3 format and use a different extension. I simply "ren 900_fus_4_t.tga 900.old" and then do a "del"

That works

It does not, however, remove the problem. Win7 does not like certain file extensions! So the thing for microsoft to do is to find a fix for win7 explorer to accept these file types. Or is there a fix already? Perhaps explorer needs to be told that these file extensions are "legal". Perhaps "TGA" and "UFO" and other brakes have been incorrectly associated by the Win7 development team. I know they were deletable in older versions of windows.

Thank God I can remember the odd MSDOS command!
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:43 AM
  • Believe it or not, this is exact the reason that I will kick out Windows for ever.
    (This and the stupid multiple confirmation of simple file actions like movin or deleting)

An advanced OS that can not handle file handling?!?!?!?

Today I bought a Mac.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:50 PM
  • OH, and by the way...
    My solution to the slow copy and deleting was connecting the (external) drives to an XP laptop
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Does anyone from MS read this please? Can we have a cure please? Just because TGA extension has been around for a long time does not mean that they are dead.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:48 AM
  • Yeah, what's the deal with this? I've currently got a "recycling" process hanging after trying to delete an AVI file. Damn, I knew I shoulda stuck with XP
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Same ____ here...
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - thought this would be a safe step forward from XP... boy, was I wrong...

How is it possible to release a new OS that's not capable of handling files through the integrated file handling UI ???
    It takes FOR EVER to do simple task like renaming files or copying and pasting files - what IS that?
    Moving files and synchronizing folders takes an eternity and meanwhile other applications sometimes are slow and non responsive.
    This is a nightmare - simple things takes TOO long to do!  This affects deadlines for my company!

Please, someone from Microsoft, give some information on this subject!

For the record; my PC have an Intel Xeon X3220 (64bits 4 cores at 2,40 GHz) and 8 GB RAM.
    I have 2 internal SATA-disks, one WD passport connected via high speed USB2, and I have an NAS server as backup server.
    The problem is occurring when handling files on any of thees disks in any combination.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Hi people.
    Try to disable Windows Search service (with msconfig). It seems like it's working.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Hi Vodemon

what are the real consequences of turning windows search off?  the microsoft pages are about as helpful as you've come to expect.

I've had so many problems since upgrading to windows 7 professional 64 bit I'm almost too scared to change anything, particularly when Microsoft seem so reluctant to admit that there is an issue that obviously many of us are suffering from.  I cant move any group of files greater than 500 Mb without the system grinding to a halt, and then making my external drive 'disappear' (although sometimes i can get it to 'reappear just by restarting)
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Hi alittleoldman

I guess windows search is the same as windows indexing service in XP. Therefore I turned it off with no regret)
    But if MS will make solution of  slow explorer perfomance problem (I have only "very slow rename" problem), I'll turn it on may be...

Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:51 PM
  • I had this problem - convinced I had two dodgy external hard drives or some malware issues - was on verge of formatting and reinstalling Windows 7 - then stumbled across a 'critical' download from HP that was released silently in December relating to a Microsoft Host Controller update. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3943716 I run an HP 6044UK machine, but I am assuming other manufacturers will have similar updates if this one is machine specific. Touch wood (a good substitute is the head of a man who paid to upgrade to Windows 7?!) I think the HP download has solved everything! Previous issues were: *Both external drives kept disappearing. I've now completed a Windows backup and it all looks okay *The system ground to a halt when copying - the CPU monitor widget read 99% and in Task Manager I managed to establish that it was System Interrupts - deferred Procedure calls and Interrupt Service that were using 93% of my 4GB Ram. Now while copying its sits at 22% usage with other programs active. *Several incidental problems (Mouse locking up/ Camera stopping etc /sound issues ) are all okay now too. Since downloading the file all seems fine - in fact better than the original install of Windows 7 which seemed perfect initially. Start up is quicker, shuts down way quicker, and it all seems to be running as you'd hope, although copying is still way slow in comparison to Vista / XP. Hope this helps if you have been as frustrated as I have with USB / external drive / lock up / copying issues By the way I was also pointed towards the following link, which I didnt need but I guess it may be useful for some of you happy computing:/
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Same exact symptoms running the same operartions feom x32 Win 7 Ult. antime I connect a firewire, usb 2.0 or IOGear x2 usb networked controller to either my direct connect, dual partioned fat32/ntfs 1 TB Seagate exernal drive, file transfers start fast, slow to a crawl and then wipes the desktop clean...requiring a cntr+alt=delete and mandatory shut down...which can take as long as 20 minutes to shut down the machine without becoming so frustrated I shut the darn OS down with pushing the power button the OS is installed on, a Dell M6300 laptop with Win7 Ultimate...obviously the os has major problems with connecting to exteral storage!!! and It is ectrmely friggin irritating!!! I can use Synctoy or any other utility, native or not to synch and back up my mission-critical files w/o Win 7 going into stupid state and hanging up majorly!!! MS!!! What the heck do we do to correct this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  File Back Up is a mission critical ops and this darned OS Otta be able to do it natively~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

straling @ comcast.net
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:08 AM
  • trying this now...most irritating problem!!! Thx Vodemon,

twshovel
    Monday, January 18, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Just developed a similar problem here (Windows 7 Pro):

User had 125 MB file that needed to be deleted from the C: drive.  When you press Delete it would hang at a window saying "Discovering..." indefinitely. 

Tried dropping to Administrator command prompt, and deleting from a command window, but it would lock up.  Did a full chkdisk, found a few things but once back in Windows 7 still could not delete.  Also tried from safe mode, no luck there either.

In our case there are no USB devices connected, nor any external drives of any kind. 
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Here is some details of a similar problem I am experiencing, again with Win7 Ult 64. 

The most obvious symptoms are:

1) Create folder in Explorer                     Takes 30 seconds

2) Rename folder in Explorer                    Takes 180 seconds  (window is "Not Responding" and cannot be resized etc).

3) Paste in a file                                      The paste happens instantly (as shown by dir from cmd.exe) but the file is not shown
                                                                                   until a refresh is forced or the window resized to force a redraw.

The CPU load is only 1%.

Command line operations are not affected - I created and renamed a folder from the command line while waiting for 2).

I have AV (Avast) installed but disabled for the above test.   ShellExView shows no other non-Microsoft processes.

These problems are being experienced by hundreds of users, and Microsoft needs to solve this, or at least provide a diagnostic if Windows is to retain any credibility.

Steve

Steve
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:28 PM
  • I have discovered that some TGA files can delete - but "Discovering" takes in the order of 15 minutes. Then I will be asked if I really do want to delete this file. Another 10 to 15 minutes...

I have also discovered that "tga" extension is quicker to delete than "TGA"

Another way to delete large TGA quickly is to NOT save a new itereation of the first version saved. For instance if I edit the Corel master and re-save as TGA with the same name, any subsequent attempt to delete is definitely longer.

I am saving my TGA files from Corel Photopaint (Corel Draw Suite X3)

Could it be that some XP and Vista programs act differently in Win7? I have checked some of my software on the respective sites and as yet there are no Win7 patches for Corel for instance.

This is still very unusual...
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Same problem here. Renaming a file takes minutes instead of nano-seconds.  I have to reboot to resolve the issue.  I do not want a work around. I do not want to disable anything. I want the bug fixed.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:55 PM
  • Noticing (in fact: getting annoyed by) the huge delay when renaming/moving within Win7 Ultimate 64bit on HP HDX-16. Doesn't keep the processor busy, though.
    Thought it might have to do with the fact that the files were in folders that were in 'libraries' or folders that were being shared. Deleting them from the library and/or unsharing doesn't help.

SIPguy
    Monday, February 1, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Same problem here. Renaming a file takes minutes instead of nano-seconds.  I have to reboot to resolve the issue.  I do not want a work around. I do not want to disable anything. I want the bug fixed.
    This guy has it right, we should not have to put up with a work around. The sign of a bad design is when the users begin to blame themselves for a problem. This is a seriousl problem as made apparent by this thread. Im having the same trouble, and I am certain it is not my system. I have a top of the line system and none of my resources are near being maxed out. SIMPLE file handling and opening new processes should not take 5-10 seconds, not to mention the delete times. With this PC taking such a long time i can only imagine the time it takes other systems.

I don't understand how such a HUGE bug escaped beta testing. Go Microsoft, you've done it again.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:47 AM
  • Have you run ProcessMonitor in background? Look at the Time Of Day column. Which operation is causing the delay?

Do this and help Ms to find the causes instead of shuting how bad Windows 7 is!

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:32 PM
  • 09 Jan 2010 Vodemon wrote ))

"Hi people.
    Try to disable Windows Search service (with msconfig). It seems like it's working."

It's really working.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Here's a few thousand words worth of pictures. More words after:

edit - OHO, you don't like linked screenshots - I forgot.

[URL=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/deltga.jpg][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/th_deltga.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/deltga_later.jpg][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/th_deltga_later.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/deltga_procs.jpg][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/th_deltga_procs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/deltgaappsdisc.jpg][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/th_deltgaappsdisc.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/tgamovetobin.jpg][IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/th_tgamovetobin.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

OK, linking to pictures does not work. Here are the direct URLs then. Please use these links to open the screenshots:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/deltga.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/?action=view&current=deltga_later.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/?action=view&current=deltga_procs.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/?action=view&current=deltgaappsdisc.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/CBris/Non-flight%20Misc/?action=view&current=tgamovetobin.jpg

Right...

First picture taken at 05:46:44 on Feb 6th
    Last picture taken at 05:58:17 on Feb 6th
    Both images took until 06:10 to be gone

First image - I am deleting file "wing_T.TGA" using the command line interface. You can see what has gone before by reading the CLI window

There follow some images showing different aspects of the performance monitor

Last screenshot shows that "wing_T.TGA" is still deleting itself after almost 15 minutes. I have now used drag and drop to delete file "fuzel_T.tga" and you can see that the file is highlighted in explorer and the "preparing to recycle" alert box is telling me this is going to be another looooong wait.

The odd thing is that COREL has saved one of the tga files with a lower case extension (i.e. fuzel_T.tga) and the next saved file is upper case (i.e. wing_T.TGA)

The CLI delete finished shortly after that shot and the drag and drop delete was done by 06:10

For active programs see screenshots

Now for my statutory grumble - after all, I have earned it with those screenshot ;)

I am not shouting how bad win7 is. In fact it is pretty good as far as increasing performance for MS FSX. I can even live with these system slow deletes at a (biiig) push. But one thing is certain, it is probably a good time to re-program windows from a blank screen. No using past modules, no using win 3.1 code (you are - that's why there is a big bugfix due in February which includes a fix to prevent some old win 3.1 code leaving network security loopholes...)

One thing I have learnt over the years and that is if something keeps failing or keeps throwing up bugs, the best cure is ALWAYS to go back to square one. We users can all read the press commentary about MS programs and you cannot deny that you keep reusing "old code" and you cannot deny that you are forever fixing little bugs. (like this one) (viz all those frequent fixes). I am not a programmer, I am an engineer (have been for almost 40 years). But if I had been responsible for the kind of problems that MS has over the years, I'd have been telling my technicians years ago to reset everything to zero and "redo from start".

• Edited by CBris Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:42 AM you don't accept images
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi CBris,

please use SkyDrive to insert pictures:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Please follow my guide here to see what is the Explorer doing while causing the high CPU usage:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140264

Which functions cause the high CPU usage?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 10:57 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  It takes minutes to rename a single file.  I gave up on Vista because of this and now I have the same problem with Windows 7.  It's not the machine.  I have a relatively powerful one.  What took nano seconds in XP locks up the system in 7.  Yuck....!
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:05 PM
  • I am running Ultimate 32 bit with exactly the same explorer problem, I have wondered whether the libraries feature has any bearing on the problem.
    What ever I try, such as safe mode etc, does not in anyway get rid of the problem. When I saw it in the RC release I thought that this would be cleared up in the full release.
    Was this a problem in Vista? I jumped from XP to W7 RC and then Ultimate 32 bit, I have the feeling I spent a lot of money on a lame horse.

A service pack is urgently required to clear up basic problems that have slipped thro' RC testing, otherwise a basically good OS will be tainted for ever.

Toolman59
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:53 AM
  • Ive found that if you kill the explorer process in task mngr then use cmd to del the locked file then it works
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Same problem here. Everything from renaming, copying a file to a new folder, saving a file is massively slow. I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. 

What is the solution????

Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Hi Nicolas, I can tell you that you all need to be fixing bugs and your reply is silly. There is a bad problem here and that answer kinda shows you guys dont get it. I am having the same issue. I have a quad processor and 4db ram (about to be 8gb) brand new 7200 rpm western digital (as are all my drives) using firewire for some and the internal is sata. It takes 5 hours to copy 3 gb of data. Sometimes even 700mb file takes hours. I am in tech support for a telecom company and have built and maintained hundred if not more machines. Windows 7 is seriously dorked up in the file transfer process. We really need someone who cares enough to try to find answers and get this fixed. Your answer says try to old standard and ignoring it has nothing to do with that. When I try to transfer, its getting worse. It now stops other programs from funtioning becasue it takes all the drive speen and ram to move files. This spells BROKE. Please listen to thounsands of users in all of you forums and hear what they are sayting. ITS BROKE please help.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:07 AM
  • I am having the same issue with Windows 7 64-bit on a rocking system with 4gb ram and Core i5 processor.  This issue is unbelievable!  It takes about 1 minute to rename a music file.  I hope MS fixes this issue or I will go back to XP Pro for sure.
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Same problem here. Renaming/copying/moving takes very long (30-60 seconds of "not responding"). Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Core 2 Duo 2,8Ghz, 8GB RAM SSD Hard Drive.

Additionally, drag and drop freezes but only when the drag gets over the folder pane of the target explorer window.

I've installed Windows 7 about 2 months ago but this problem starte only 2-3 weeks ago.

I have noticed that after i hit enter for rename and the windows explores freezes if i open another explorer window i can see the renamed file before the initial explorer window gives back the control.

Also creating a new folder requires a refresh (F5) in oder to display the newly created folder.

I have disabled Windows Search and the rename seems to be working normally though some of the times it requires an additional refresh to actually show the renamed file. Drag and drom steel freezes if the draging path goes over the folder pane...

I have absolutely no speed problem in transfering large files.

i hope this gets solved soon.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:12 PM
  • Hi everyone,
    Same problem here. Renaming/copying/moving takes very long (30-60 seconds of "not responding"). Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Core 2 Duo 2,8Ghz, 8GB RAM SSD Hard Drive.
    I have disabled Windows Search and the rename seems to be working normally though some of the times it requires an additional refresh to actually show the renamed file. Drag and drom steel freezes if the draging path goes over the folder pane...
    I have absolutely no speed problem in transfering large files.
    i hope this gets solved soon.

This sounds very familiar.
    I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on an HP G60-630US Notebook, with 3GB RAM and a dual core T4400 2.2GHz CPU.
    I'm running AVG 9.0 Free Edition antivirus software. The problem occurs even with AVG disabled.

Like Tatisan, I've experienced excessive wait times for certain basic Explorer file operations. I've run afoul of it most frequently with new folder creation and the renaming of files and folders. Also, I've noticed the problem with folder contents not refreshing properly. The excessive-wait-time problem appears suddenly, after the computer has accumulated several days of uptime, often spanning several hibernate/wake cycles. I just clocked a wait time for new folder creation at 3mins:49sec. That's 229 seconds, and it's typical.

Just in case anyone thought differently, THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

As has been reported dozens of times in this tread, one workaround is to party like it's 1977 again, and perform all of these basic file operations from the command line.

MICROSOFT FLACKS TAKE NOTE: If that was the kind of user experience that I wanted, I'd be running Linux on my desktop and greeting each newly discovered failure of the user interface as a challenge to be met with daring feats of intrepid open sourcery.
    But it isn't.
    I paid cash-money for this operating system.
    And I expect better.

When I first encountered this problem in late February, I followed a suggestion that I found on this thread: I disabled the Windows Search service via msconfig.
    And that worked. I thought the problem was solved.
    But now it's back. Windows Search is still disabled in MSConfig, which lists the "Date Disabled" as 3/11/2010. The Computer Management utility confirms that "Windows Search" is not currently running and that its "Startup Type" is set to "Disabled".

So, MS flacks, forum moderators, and fellow suffering end users: How do we fix it this time?

-MSE

PS: I'm including the text from the "hang signature" dialog, below.

Description:
      A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
      Application Name:    explorer.exe
      Application Version:    6.1.7600.16450
      Application Timestamp:    4aebab8d
      Hang Signature:    da45
      Hang Type:    4
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
      Locale ID:    1033
      Additional Hang Signature 1:    da4500cd5c5e847789ca2d5b09ced9c7
      Additional Hang Signature 2:    4891
      Additional Hang Signature 3:    4891054a939cb6e4c30d4168be97789e
      Additional Hang Signature 4:    17d7
      Additional Hang Signature 5:    17d7c9d03c2fbba430078e0621328203
      Additional Hang Signature 6:    5672
      Additional Hang Signature 7:    56725093cc7d94dd6bdd0a74b0388486

• Edited by MSEslacker Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:10 PM Added "hang signature" text.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Same numerous issues as described above... Extremely slow file transfers... OS getting stuck in simple file renaming, deleting...

I'm running on Win 7 x64, but I had similar issues under Vista 64 (different Hardware, in case MS had any doubts, at this point, that it was an OS issue).

I'm hoping MS is working hard on this one since it's been around for so long now.  Oh, while they're at it... fix the damn Search tool as well to provide for Advances Searches... but I digress and simply repeating myself...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:04 AM
  • Why is this thread not followed by ANY Microsoft people. The only MSFT response came from "Moderator" Nicholas Li 6 months ago (was he fired since then?).  He does not even seem to know what he is talking about.

I have all of the same problems in the 32 bit version.  Drag a file over the left pane when moving it and it will hang temporarily on the first drive letter it comes across.  Whatever you do, don't let go of the mouse button or that is where it will move it.  Instead, drag it in the right panel and move it over to where you want it on the left when you get there. Delete files from a directory and they will still show up even though they are gone because Explorer does not properly refresh when you move or rename stuff.  How long before MS does something about this ?!

I wonder what the point of a forum is if it is not monitored by someone in the Win 7 development team at Microsoft.  Without that it is just a big b_tch fest.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Have the same exact problem for a month now.

Had the problem before and solved it by some routine maintenance, like deleting files from desktop etc.

But 2 weeks later I got the same problem again..

any word from Micro the Soft?

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Again, I cleaned desktop, and recycle bin, closed and restarted explorer (From Task Manager) and file/folder operations started working at normal speed again.

This is weird. If if happens again, I'll try just clearing the recycle bin.

Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:50 AM
  • same problem here, windows 7 x64.

the only solution i found is closing all open explorer.exe instances and restarting them again after which speed is normal for a while.

(this is kind of painful since i open 10 instances of explorer so i can read the full titles of each in the taskbar pull up menu, thumbnails are useless in this case)

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:12 AM
  • There has been a recent system update that solved the problem in some way. It does not hang now for a minutes but i still need to hit refresh some of the times. I dont exactly know the number of the update but it was released in the last two weeks or so.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 7:16 AM
  • I have the same problem.  When try to rename is like some other process grab the file.  The only way, so far I found is close the explorer window(s) and open all over again... It is horrible but it works!
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:41 PM
  • File deletion is hugely slow in Windows 7. With 2 processor cores and 4 concurrent threads, 8Gb RAM and an SSD you'd think, maybe it'd be fast, but it isn't.

I think the engineers at Microsoft need to read up on their data structures and algorithms, because the deletion performance feels like On*n.

Thankfully I have a Mac (highly recommended) so my pain is eased somewhat.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Even renaming ONE folder that contains 100.000 small files (about ½ kb each) will lock the entire desktop for several minutes - is this a limitation within NTFS or Windows 7? (I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit)
    • Proposed as answer by w7man Friday, May 28, 2010 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:50 AM
  • I am having this same issue with Windows 7 (64-bit) Ultimate and my external Firewire 400 drive. Explorer crashes when I delete files, rename, move on the Firewire drive.

Firewire board is a VIA chipset, all drives installed, external hard drive is a Maxtor II Firewire hard drive. I am having continued issues with Windows 7 and external Firewire drives. It's just very slow.

Windows 7 (64-bit) - Dell Inspiron 570 Desktop (4GB RAM, Athlon II X3 - 2.9GHz, ATI HD 2600 Pro hooked up with dual display: Dell 23" running at 2048 x 1152 and Generic 19" 1440 x 900). 

Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Adm_Gs Friday, July 30, 2010 3:27 PM
    Saturday, June 5, 2010 2:21 PM
  • This worked for me:

1. Kill explorer.exe in task manager's processes tab

2. Restart explorer (In the task manager's applications tab: press the new task button, type "explorer" and press ok)

3. Problem solved.

• Proposed as answer by Tay Cleed Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:37 AM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:51 PM
  • I am also having a similar issue. I do not know if it is related but it seems like it could be.

Normal operations with all my drives seem fine, except deleting. When deleting a file windows says it's deleted but it's actually still there yet a few minutes later it will magically disappear. This doesn't directly affect me however it affects some software. For example Steam, when trying to update it needs to delete the executable Steam.exe and it does but it doesn't go away immediately so the next stage of the process fails because it tries to rename the new file but the old one is still there. I don't agree with this form of patching in the first place but it's how it works and I never had this problem before Win 7.

Safe mode does not exhibit this behavior (its how I fix the steam update issue). Nor does deleting files from a cmd prompt.

I also note that Windows 7 likes to lock files recently accessed. For example I will run a batch file, and then edit it to make a quick change but then when I try to save the changes it says a process is accessing the file even though the batch finished before I even opened it for editing.

This is getting really frustrating as it happens a lot and is interfering with normal tasks. I feel as this is almost a result of the ridiculous level of security implemented in Windows 7.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit fully updated. I have Nod32 a/v installed but I had these problems on fresh install without a/v installed.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Can I add my disappointment with Win7's explorer, and request for MS to get it fixed.

A fresh Win 7 Pro 32 bit installation. PC is Duo 1.8MHz cores, SATA HDDs.

Things were fine for a while, then it started with ridiculous delays for normal operations.

Deleting a file can take 45 secs to just get to the confirmation dialogue.

A similar time to even bring up the right click menu on a file or folder.

5 secs of the waiting symbol twirling, 35 sec of the window showing "Not Responding", then another 5 secs twirling, and then it finally asks if I want to delete the file. Same to bring up the right-click menu. Copying and some other file activities are slow too, but strangely renaming is reasonably quick, at present.

I was just about to scrap the partition and start again from scratch when I found this, and similar, forums listing this a a very common issue.

How can such basic operations be such a problem for Microsoft?

Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:55 AM
  • Try this hotfix:

The computer stops responding when you rename a folder in Windows Server 2008 SP2, in Windows Vista SP2, in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

Click on View and request hotfix downloads , accept the license agreement, select your Windows Version (32Bit or64Bit), type in your mail address twice, type the correct captcha and click on request hotfix.

After 1 minute you have a mail with the link and the password to extrat the hotfix. Install it and try it it is fixed.

André

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:34 AM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:34 AM
  • I have tried the Hotfix, so far so good, hopefully goodbye green progress bar.

Toolman59

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:52 AM
  • Andre,

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I got the hotfix, but it has not helped me.

Further investigation shows that the problems come up when an external HDD drive is connected via USB.
    This is whether the ext HDD is being accessed in the file operation or not.

When it is not connected things are normal.

When it is connected all the symptoms, Explorer operations having long delays etc, and the longer the PC is up the more reluctant it is to shut down, occur.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 7:03 AM
  •  

Would love to try the fix, but it is not available... :-(   Looks like I will get rid of my last PC running Windows soon if they can't even implement and test file renaming - rest of my machines is running Linux/Mac OS allready...

Thanks for the hint though.

Andreas

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:45 PM
  • the link works fine. Click on View and request hotfix downloads .
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:49 PM
  • I do not understand why MS has kinda shuffled this under the rug.   I have seen this problem all over the forums.  I have windows ultimate X84, i use premiere pro, cs4 and 5, ewhn I try to open a project that requires using the windows explorer the sofware hags for 10 to 30 minutes.  It is a serious problem for me.  I downloaded and installed a 3rd party ExploredXP but is doews not show contex menu stuff.  also softweare defaults to windows explorer when you try to open something.  This is crazy.  I have 3 system using win 7 x64 ultimate and only one is demostration this abbarition.

Microsoft please take notice.   We need some fixes.

• Proposed as answer by ThePawel Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:12 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 2:04 PM
  • contact the MS Support if you have an issue.

Friday, November 5, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Almost a whole year on and still no change. I cannot simply delete a tga graphics file. Either I click delete and go away for half an hour (at least) or I go through the MS DOS type command line procedure to delete.

I see answers like "use this SDK tool, or that app to debug" or "contact MS"... Seriously guys! I paid an excessively high amount of real money for an operating system. I should not have to debug it myself, I should be able to get support from the maker...

... has anyone ever had real support from MS without having to pay extra? Or rather - has anyone ever had any response from a microsoft help desk?

Does MS really exist? Or are we just pumping our license fees into a bottomless pit? I get better help from the people at various open source programs.

Yes - that sounds cynical. It is meant to be. As a quality manager I can only describe MS' face to the user population as one of the most unfriendly I have ever worked with. Yes, I know just how impossible it would be for MS to answer every separate enguiry.

We have a saying in the quality management world - If you don't want unhappy customers then get it right first time. In the case of Explorer, there is something which causes it to loop, freeze and die. There is a way out by killing explorer via the task manager. Mister Paying Average User should never need to go that far on a regular basis. Once reported, it should go on a "to do" list and get fixed.

This has been put on many to do lists for over a year now. None of the standard weekly updates so far has fixed this. OK, so there's a whole slew of fixes every week - let me see... a years worth of weekly fixes - dozens of issues addressed every week... does this sound at all like "Get it right first time"?

As I say - I am happy with Windows over all. But not with service or ability to see problems or even trying to find solutions.

Sad, but within keeping for MS.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:06 AM
  • Sorry for proposing your post as an answer. I miss-clicked.

Here is the solution that worked for me. My system would hang when renaming large video files. Explorer would eat up all of my 8GBs of RAM and the hard drive would go nuts for 10 to 15 mins before the file was renamed. Same with deletion: the "calculating" would take forever on my new high performance machine. (I tried the hotfix proposed by MS - it did not change the situation whatsoever)

The solution:  Although this is not a real solution but more of a workaround to something wron deep within windows 7 OS... (Kinda feel bad for paying for it, shoulda just downloaded it from a pirate at this rate).

In control panel, under files and folder properties - I clicked "always show files as icons, never display thumbnails". Once this was done, renaming, deleting and other daily file tasks on these huge video files was back to being DOS-fast.

Best of luck! I'm convinced this will work for most people suffering from this problem.

• Proposed as answer by jmichno Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:07 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:20 PM
  • I'm running a windows 7 32bit VM and am having the same issue.  I've tried the following so far:

• Disabled the Windows Search Service
    • Tried ThePawel's suggestion of selecting "never display thumbnails"

Any other updates or potential fixes?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Here is an update. 

I tried the following:

• Adjusted "Indexing Options."
    • Removing the virtual CD Rom and Floppy Drives.
    • Disabled write caching.
    • VMware Paravirtual SCSI controller (can't boot from this).
    • Removing Symantec Endpoint Protection (11.06MP1).

The last thing tried is the one that worked for me.  At this point, I'm going to talk to Symantec support.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:02 PM
  • I've just been Googling to find a solution to a similar problem.

I have Win 7 64 bit on quite a high spec machine at work.  Whenever I try to rename, remove or delete a older in Windows Explorer, the machine locks up.  I give up waiting then have to close Explorer which I have to do do get to any other open windows.  If I re-open Explorer the problem is still there - I can view folders and open files, but can't rename or move anything.

Rebooting is the only thing to fix it, but even then I can only use Explorer normally for maybe half an hour before it starts locking up again. 

This is costing me horrible amounts of wasted time at work, and losing me money as I try to run my business.  I feel completely shafted by Microsoft on this and disgusted that they aren't curing a massive end-user problem.

I'm ok using Office software but clueless when it comes to 'fixes' people describe above - I just don't understand the terms being used in explanations.  Isn't there some kind of patch download to fix this that an ordinary user like me, who isn't remotely an IT technician, can use?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:32 AM
  • contact the MS Support if you have an issue.

Sorry Andre, especially if you are close to MS or have something to do with them...

Has anyone ever been heard by MS when submitting any help request to them? About the only way to get any reaction is to use the "pay" phone numbers or "pay" support requests.

The answer is probably because the "free" help is overloaded with help requests - or even abusive or otherwise negative mail.

I still have problems, massive problems, when I want to move, rename or delete TGA (targa) files. These are not some "exotic" format but long established formats that are still used for many graphics applications. I do use one poster's suggestion to use the task manager to kill and restart explorer, but that is not the answer.

Now if the MS Support is so blocked with help requests that most enquiries are ignored - doesn't that tell us a lot about the health of Microsoft? OK, they make a LOT of money from us punters, but seem to forget that unhappy customers cost a lot more than happy ones.

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I think I have a very good demonstration of this bug:  I run a Windows 7 32 bit desktop and a newer Windows 7 64 bit laptop both with very similar disk transfer rates to the primary harddisk (5.8 vs 5.9 according to the Windows Experience Index). Both run McAfee with the same settings. Both are updated to Service pack 1.

I run SyncToy 2.1 on the laptop to sync an external USB hard disk(WD Passport essential) with its internal hard disk.  It takes about 20-25 minutes to scan the disks for possible updates on the Windows 64-bit laptop.

If I mount the two laptop drives on the desktop via a wired ethernet (ie they are now running via the network but the USB drive is still physically connected to the 64-bit laptop) the whole operation with SyncToy (to sync the laptop's internal hard drive with the USB drive connected to it) now running via my home network takes about 30 seconds!

So this must be using the same disks and same drivers (since the disks were not moved) *and* there is an additional network overhead and yet the operation is several orders of magnitude faster.  My only conclusion is that there has to be a serious bug in enumerating files on 64 bit windows 7.

This has been reported for several *years* (check the date of the oldest posting) and yet it is still not fixed ...  I should have stayed with XP.

A luta continua
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:33 PM
  • I have used these forums for years to find answers to problems. 90%+ of the solutions come from users, rarely does a real solution come from MS. They will mostly blame your hardware. The only time they get involved is when the problem is so wide spread they can no longer ignore it. 

Make sure you have your system backed up regularly and have scheduled restore points

Make sure you update the OS every week (a cure might be in there without them telling you)

Make sure your are using a good anti-virus

Check msconfig regularly for those naughty programs that put their little selves in the start-up when you don't need or want them to.

Don't mess with the registry or services unless you know what you are doing and KNOW the purpose (if any) of anything you delete.

Try a clean install... its a pain, but often solves the problem.

And remember... NO, they don't care that YOU have a problem... they have too many customers and YOU are an insignificant ant to them. sigh....

Good luck fellow MS critics!

Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I have used these forums for years to find answers to problems. 90%+ of the solutions come from users, rarely does a real solution come from MS. They will mostly blame your hardware. The only time they get involved is when the problem is so wide spread they can no longer ignore it. 

Make sure you have your system backed up regularly and have scheduled restore points

Make sure you update the OS every week (a cure might be in there without them telling you)

Make sure your are using a good anti-virus

Check msconfig regularly for those naughty programs that put their little selves in the start-up when you don't need or want them to.

Don't mess with the registry or services unless you know what you are doing and KNOW the purpose (if any) of anything you delete.

Try a clean install... its a pain, but often solves the problem.

And remember... NO, they don't care that YOU have a problem... they have too many customers and YOU are an insignificant ant to them. sigh....

Good luck fellow MS critics!

Ditto
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:32 PM
  • I had symptoms like these for the past week. Uninstalling 3rd-party add-in "Mystic Thumbs" fixed the problem for me.

Now I need to find something else to get PSD/TGA/AI thumbnail previews in Explorer, hopefully something less glitchy.

Monday, July 25, 2011 3:11 PM
  • October 2009...and now it's januari 2012, and still no solution!?
    My high-end system completely freezes when renaming, moving or deleting large video files (mostly .VLC >= 8GB).
    A undefined proces eats up all of my 4GB RAM (98% according to taskmng) and the hard drive goes completely nuts for 10-15 mins reminding me of ancient floppydrives. Moreover Taskmanager does NOT list a service/proces responsible for taking up the 3-4GB RAM (showing all user processes). The instance of explorer.exe appears normal.
    Work-around is killing explorer.exe and using File Commander to do the file actions, which is...REDICULOUS!
    System specs:
    Windows Home 7 Premium 64bit SP1
    Intel i7-2600 3.4 GHz
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Good luck people..
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 12:14 PM
  • This is so disappointing that we cannot get MS to jump in here and help. Using Explorer to rename, delete, etc. via a R-click menu always hangs my computer for several minutes. I have found that sometimes I can rename a file by going to the "Organize" menu option at the top of Explorer rather than getting the menu via R-click. THere, I have the best luck by clicking "properties", then typing in a new file name. However, deleting a file still doesn't work fast there. Eventually, I will get the confirmation window, bit there are several wasted minutes per file.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:34 AM
  • After more than a year dealing with this slow/no refresh issue.  I solved it.  Switched the company to Mac.  (still run an app in the Windows Paralles Desktop, but we can continue working while W7 goes through its gyrations).

I'm Free!!!

• Proposed as answer by mrb12321 Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:04 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 2:47 PM
  • I have same problems with performance (over several minutes) when I renames directory (or move in same volume) which have about 60000 small files. Even if they placed in subdirectory: (Like: G:\DirForRename\Subdir\*). If I move/rename directory which have big library with over million files which distributed in subdirs I have time spend for this - much less than one second. It is As developer I do not see any reasons to scan subdirectories or make any other operations if I renames node in tree or move this node within a single volume (for example from G:\aaa\bbb to G:\nnn\bbb). Why I have these problems? How to fix this? It is impossible to work with dirs which have many files ((
    Friday, February 3, 2012 3:55 PM
  • I just noticed something exceedingly strange, so humor me here...

How many of you that are experiencing the lag have the preview pane open in Explorer?   If you do, try this:  close the preview pane, then exit from all instances of Explorer (or just kill the Explorer process, whatever).  Now open an explorer window and try deleting crap again and see if you get the same lag - all of a sudden, after doing exactly what I described, my lag is gone.

Could it really be that simple?  I'm dubious, but I'll wait to hear from the rest of you before deciding...

• Proposed as answer by tjkelman Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:34 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:34 PM
  • There is a quick and free solution to all of your problems.  It is called xplorer2 and is a free download.  I have been using it for about 2 years now since my first post on this subject and my problems are solved. No need for Explorer anymore.

There is also a paid version with additional functionality if you need it but if you're like me you will find that even the free basic version is sufficient and far superior to Explorer.

• Edited by Plesman Friday, March 30, 2012 3:51 AM
    Friday, March 30, 2012 3:50 AM
  • It is more dodgy MS coding - files and folder are locked when thumbnails are shown.

TURN OFF THUMBNAILS AND FILES WILL COPY WITHOUT PROBLEMS.

MS are aware of the problem but are keeping a low profile - there was some talk of a hotfix but it has not been publicised

• Proposed as answer by fedupwithjunk Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fedupwithjunk Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Sadly it is not thumbnails for me, it happens when displaying just 'details'. The other thing that takes ages is sorting if there are more than a hundred or so files in the folder. Sort by date and you can make a cup of tea/coffee while it thinks about it, then amazingly make another if you switch back to file name.
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Recently faced this same symptom (Windows7 Professional), when tried to delete '.exe' file from downloads folder (Users\username\Downloads). It taken forever - tested several scenarios, deleting, renaming, moving etc. also via elevated command prompt - no worky. Dialog just shows 'calculating' and nothing else happens.

Here is the fix -> Stop windows defender service - just temporarily of course :).

Either from Control panel -> Services -> Windows Defender etc. or via command prompt by issuing Net Stop WinDefend

Don't know what the Explorer were 'calculating forever', but MS should test it's products more through, before launching them to general public.

• Edited by Benkku Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Stopping Windows Defender worked for me.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:30 PM
  • This worked instantly for me...

Win7 pro, x64 - 8gb of RAM

• Proposed as answer by jmichno Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:07 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 4:07 PM
  • I have the same issue!

I purchased a WD NAS and Windows says that its "Discovering" files and once discovered the file copy box just closes.

At first I thought it was the NAS so after trawling through the WD sites some helpful man showed me this thread! I am not only amazed but also disgusted that such a massive problem could go on for so long without even one response from MS! I was blaming WD and was NEVER gonna purchase another WD product again! but after reading forums realise that once my Windows PC gives up the ghost (we all know it will) and I have a spare £2k, Apple will be seeing my money!

Ill try all of the work arounds suggested when I get home but how this thread has been handled by MS has cemented an opinion of the Mighty MS that will take a long time to shake!

Keep up the good work MS! you are slowly but surlely recommending Apple. The only reason people stay with PCs I think these days is cost! I mean why would you choose something that doesn't work over something that does?... cost and compatibility is the answer!.... compatibility is slowly getting sorted and as more people buy Apple im sure the cost will come down.

Your days are numbered MS!

Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:14 PM
  • If this really solves the Win x64 explorer.exe hangups (not just renaming, but doing any command operation at any time in a particular open window) it is an MS lack of SERIOUS maintaining bug fixing. I have been experiencing this for months.

If I have several windows open, I close all of the unoffending windows, then use my Process Explorer to Restart explorer.exe, and that fixes the issue until next time. This problem happens almost every day I do significant opening windows, working with files: renaming, cutting, selecting single or multiple files for any operation.

I see this problem goes back to 2010; shameful it has not been fixed!

Copier Guy

Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Just this morning I really noticed a slowdown when renaming files, and quick search led me to this thread.

I tried a couple of the ideas mentioned, to no avail.

For me, I found that listening to Spotify caused file renaming to be slow. If I pause Spotify, file renaming is instantaneous. This can't be the same thing that everyone is experiencing, but it might be some of you recent posters.

Xbox MVP

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:28 PM
  • I had the same problem with Win7pro 32 bit. Deactivating the realtime scanner solved the problem for me (Echtzeit scanner).

Thanks a lot for the hint!

m.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:52 AM
  • This sure sounds like a Thumbs.db problem I was having.  If a lot of media files occur in a specific folder, it is possible that the Thumbs.db file can become corrupted, or it can just become very large say if a lot of temporary images or other files with thumbnail views occur in the folder.  This can happen even if you are not using thumbnail views, you just need to have files that can have thumbnails.  Thumbs.db is a hidden system file that will not show up in the folder unless you either turn off hidden files or use a DOS prompt to and a DIR /A command to list all files including hidden and system files.

The trick is to delete Thumbs.db in the affected folder. 

To do this from DOS, you need to issue these commands...

DIR /A  (to verify that Thumbs.db exists.

ATTRIB -S -H Thumbs.db  (to make it visible and deletable!)

DEL Thumbs.db  (to delete the file)  (it will be re-built automatically)

Give it a try, it sure helped me.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Happy new year folks.

I solved my .AVI issue by disabling thumbnail caching (Windows 7 Professional x64) as the previous poster suggested.

Use Option #2 in this guide to steer you:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10794-thumbnail-cache-enable-disable.html

Cheers,

Flashback

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:56 AM