none
XP Mode Unauthorized Key RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Win 7 x64 on my laptop and then installed the new Windows VPC and XP Mode, but found out my laptop doesn't support virtualization. So I uninstalled that and installed MS Virtual PC (yep they're different) and kept the VHD from XP Mode. But, when I entered the included key (from key.txt) I got an unauthorized key message. I figure no biggy I have all kinds of XP keys ...none of the XP SP3 keys seem to work with the VM ...why? I would rather not spen XX hours DLin the CD just to reinstall the same OS.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 4:18 AM

All replies

• Windows VPC has a special BIOS which works with the OEM copy of Windows in XP Mode.   The XP Mode virtual machine is licensed only to be run under WVPC on 7 Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate.

MS VirtualPC doesn't (and can't) emulate the same BIOS as WVPC.  Otherwise anyone could get a free copy of XP to run in VirtualBox, VMware or MS VPC on Windows XP, Vista and Win 7 Home SKUs.

Either way to fix this you're going to end up performing a Windows repair installation (apps and registry preserving) with an XP CD you have the matching product key for.  This means you're supplying an alternative license. You can also make that installation a  fresh install by creating a new machine.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Use the key provided with XP Mode.  It's in the same folder as the Windows XP base VHD.
    C:\Program Files\Windows XP Mode
    The file is named key.txt
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Not correct.  There is no link to the BIOS for XP Mode.

XP Mode is a pre-created and pre-licensed virtual machine for use with Windows Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise.  XP Mode is just a VM, it’s not a virtualization application and to use it you’ll need something like Windows Virtual PC to run it.

Windows Virtual PC is not required.  Microsoft says you can use Windows Virtual PC, but they do not state this as a requirement.  Virtual PC 2007 will run XP Mode (edit: it won't activate, I confirmed with Microsoft), as will other VM programs (other VM solutions seem to activate successfully), but you will lose some of the features that Windows Virtual PC & XP Mode provide. 

Running XP Mode under VPC2007 is quite simple, after you install XP Mode, you will need to create a differencing disk and specify the Windows XP Mode base VHD as the parent, boot it up, remove the IC and then install VPC2007’s VM Additions

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=fb633e9d-ddbc-4044-bb09-4f99e757064e 

Overview

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy run many of your productivity programs that run on Windows XP on Windows 7. It uses virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC to provide a Virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.

Windows XP Mode provides a 32-bit virtual Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (SP3) environment. This download includes a virtual hard disk (.vhd file) with Windows XP SP3 preinstalled. Client virtualization software, such as Windows Virtual PC is required to use Windows XP Mode.”

• Edited by essjae Friday, May 6, 2016 12:13 AM
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:38 PM
  • I tried your steps of installing XP Mode, VPC 2007 SP1, creating a VM with Undo disks, starting XP mode, uninstalling WVPC Additions, rebooting, installing MSVPC 2007 Additions, rebooting.  XP Mode virtual machine does NOT activate with the XP mode key.  The error is what the OP describes "Unauthorized Product Key".

I did not try telephone activation but that is an unpleasant possibility.

For all the dialogue about the XP mode VHD runnable under other virtualization products this is not made easy in anyway by Microsoft.  The XP Mode EULA says XP Mode is for "Windows VPC." as does the XP Mode Tutorial documentation.  There is no XP Mode VHD offered for MS VPC.  The XP Mode VHD contains Windows VPC Additions necessitating removal.  Running or migrating the VHD to any other virtualization product including another Microsoft product on a licensed copy of Win 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate requires (possible) manual activation.

IMO, Microsoft does not care about giving Win 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate buyers on non-VT capable machines a good XP mode experience.  If you think there are not lot of these machines, look at the all the sub-$700 Intel notebooks on the market with crippled Core2Duo chips.

While it may not be the BIOS, obviously hardware-wise MS VPC is NOT compatible with the OEM license in the Windows XP Mode.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:06 AM
  • I tried your steps of installing XP Mode, VPC 2007 SP1, creating a VM with Undo disks, starting XP mode, uninstalling WVPC Additions, rebooting, installing MSVPC 2007 Additions, rebooting.  XP Mode virtual machine does NOT activate with the XP mode key.  The error is what the OP describes "Unauthorized Product Key".

I did not try telephone activation but that is an unpleasant possibility.

For all the dialogue about the XP mode VHD runnable under other virtualization products this is not made easy in anyway by Microsoft.  The XP Mode EULA says XP Mode is for "Windows VPC." as does the XP Mode Tutorial documentation.  There is no XP Mode VHD offered for MS VPC.  The XP Mode VHD contains Windows VPC Additions necessitating removal.  Running or migrating the VHD to any other virtualization product including another Microsoft product on a licensed copy of Win 7 Pro, Enterprise, or Ultimate requires (possible) manual activation.

IMO, Microsoft does not care about giving Win 7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate buyers on non-VT capable machines a good XP mode experience.  If you think there are not lot of these machines, look at the all the sub-$700 Intel notebooks on the market with crippled Core2Duo chips.

While it may not be the BIOS, obviously hardware-wise MS VPC is NOT compatible with the OEM license in the Windows XP Mode.

XP Mode is set up for Windows VPC, but VPC2007 and other VM apps will run it fine...and just like moving a hard drive from 1 computer to another with a different hardware set you're probably going to need to reactivate.  I downloaded XP Mode and set it up directly under VPC2007 with no issues.
    The point here is that XP Mode can be used with other VM apps, you're not REQUIRED to use Windows VPC, but since it's definitely designed for WinVPC, the experience will not be as smooth.
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Not to belabor, but we're saying the same things in different ways. I never said XP mode requires WVPC but I suggest that the virtual hardware in WVPC smoothly activates (OEM license matches underlying hardware), if you open XP mode under any other virtualization software the OEM key becomes "unauthorized" and you must seek alternative activation methods.

If anyone has a fool-proof way of activating XP mode outside of the WVPC product with the included key either with online activation and preferably without telephone activation, I would like to see the steps, as probably the OP would too.  Replacing WVPC Additions with MSVPC 2007 SP1 Additions is insufficient for this purpose.

I have performed a Windows repair installlation with volume-licensed media and that works as well.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 1:37 AM
  • We're not saying the same things, you said "MS VirtualPC doesn't (and can't) emulate the same BIOS as WVPC.  Otherwise anyone could get a free copy of XP to run in VirtualBox, VMware or MS VPC on Windows XP, Vista and Win 7 Home SKUs..."

There's no significant differences in the emulated BIOSes of WVPC and VPC2007, take a look at them.

My fool-proof method was to download the XPMode VM, set up a new VM with a differencing disk in VPC2007, boot it up and use it.  I got no error messages in VPC2007.

Even if that didn't work, telephone activation is a simple 5-10 minute call for a 1 time activation, so that's a really a non-issue assuming you're running a legitimate license and version of Windows 7.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:17 AM
  • We're not saying the same things, you said "MS VirtualPC doesn't (and can't) emulate the same BIOS as WVPC.  Otherwise anyone could get a free copy of XP to run in VirtualBox, VMware or MS VPC on Windows XP, Vista and Win 7 Home SKUs..."

There's no significant differences in the emulated BIOSes of WVPC and VPC2007, take a look at them.

My fool-proof method was to download the XPMode VM, set up a new VM with a differencing disk in VPC2007, boot it up and use it.  I got no error messages in VPC2007.

Even if that didn't work, telephone activation is a simple 5-10 minute call for a 1 time activation, so that's a really a non-issue assuming you're running a legitimate license and version of Windows 7.

Hi sorry to resurrect this old topic but I am having very similar issues. Thanks smjain for the help you've been able to provide so far.

I did try in the first instance to do a telephone activation (first through the automatic system and then I tried through manual: i.e. speaking to a real person) but I was told my key was not authorized. The relevant key is the one provided in KEY.TXT which comes with XP Mode. My Windows 7 Ultimate host is fully activated and genuine. However my base system (AMD ML-44) does not support VT and so I have to use MSVPC2007.

I also tried your other solution of trying to create the differencing disk. I did this but WinXP still prompts me to activate. How does the presence of the differencing disk help me to get around this?

Please help!
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:08 PM
  • Hmm, I don't know here.  The only thing I can think that is different from my setup is that the host I tried with VPC2007 did have CPU virtualization support.

There is still nothing on the XP Mode site that says it's restricted to WinVPC only.  I think you should call back the activation line and ask then how to proceed.  You have a geniune XP serial number for use with your VM, which you have a legal license since you have Win7 Ult.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Hmm, I don't know here.  The only thing I can think that is different from my setup is that the host I tried with VPC2007 did have CPU virtualization support.

There is still nothing on the XP Mode site that says it's restricted to WinVPC only.  I think you should call back the activation line and ask then how to proceed.  You have a geniune XP serial number for use with your VM, which you have a legal license since you have Win7 Ult.

Okay, so are you sure your setup shows up as already being activated? Try running the activation wizard (Start -> Run -> type "oobe/msoobe /a") and see if it confirms that. Maybe the activation wizard just didn't pop up for some reason. Mine pops up sometimes but other times it doesn't pop up, but would still expire after 30 days as WinXP thinks it isn't activated.

Other people have told me that "MSVPC2007 is not supported" for this method. When I called the activation line, I didn't get very far at all. I think the people there have a fixed call centre script and they don't understand anything else. I said to them that I wanted to activate Windows XP that comes with Windows 7. They said "okay, so you want to activate Windows 7?" I said "No, my Windows 7 is already activated, I am trying to activate the Windows XP that comes with Windows 7". There was a long pause and they said "do you want to activate Windows 7 or Windows XP?" I don't think they understood what I was talking about.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I will have to check to see if it's activated later.  I never got any messages so I assumed it was, but I didn't use it for too long.

You should be able to use any VM software to run your XP Mode license.  There is no info on the web that says its restricted this way.  I'll see if I can get any info from MSFT.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:56 PM
  • I will have to check to see if it's activated later.  I never got any messages so I assumed it was, but I didn't use it for too long.

You should be able to use any VM software to run your XP Mode license.  There is no info on the web that says its restricted this way.  I'll see if I can get any info from MSFT.

Thanks, please let me know what you find out on both these points.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 11:14 PM
  • You can hack the registry to activate Windows XP Mode in MSVPC

On your XP machine, click on "Start", then "Run", and type in "regedit"

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents"
    Expand "WPAEvents", you'll see the "OOBETimer", double-click it, and delete the original value, and type in
    "FF D5 71 D6 8B 6A 8D 6F
      D5 33 93 FD"
    Click "OK", then right click on the "WPAEvents" folder, click on "Permissions...", under "SYSTEM", click "Deny Full Control",
    Click "Yes" to the warning message, so it's immediately activated! It's completely safe, no virus is going to be coming in, and it's completely genuine.

You could PASS the Genuine Advantage Validation!
    Note: You CANNOT do this in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7.
    You could do this in Windows XP/Server 2003/Home Server Power Pack 1, 2, 3.
    • Proposed as answer by m4rc99 Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:22 PM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:36 PM
  • You can hack the registry to activate Windows XP Mode in MSVPC

On your XP machine, click on "Start", then "Run", and type in "regedit"

Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents"
    Expand "WPAEvents", you'll see the "OOBETimer", double-click it, and delete the original value, and type in
    "FF D5 71 D6 8B 6A 8D 6F
      D5 33 93 FD"
    Click "OK", then right click on the "WPAEvents" folder, click on "Permissions...", under "SYSTEM", click "Deny Full Control",
    Click "Yes" to the warning message, so it's immediately activated! It's completely safe, no virus is going to be coming in, and it's completely genuine.

You could PASS the Genuine Advantage Validation!
    Note: You CANNOT do this in Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7.
    You could do this in Windows XP/Server 2003/Home Server Power Pack 1, 2, 3.
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I have a similar issue as zunebug . I had a PC with Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) installed and activated. The PC supports hardware virtualization and I had a working Windows XP Mode with a bunch of applications (that does not work on 64bit Win7).

Due to a hard drive failure, I reinstalled the Win 7 OS. Luckily I had backed up most of my data files. After installing Win XP Mode (& VPC) when I try to open the old windows XP mode (from my backup), it seems to start fine. But when click on the userId I am prompted for product activation with message "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?" Clicking "Yes" takes me to "Enter your product key" window. None of the keys I have seem to work including the key from current file keys.txt that I downloaded. After failure, I give up and click "Remind Me Later" and system logs me out. I've also tried telephone activation and it did not work either.

The solution suggested by Liu Meng might work, however I cannot log on to virtual machine to change the registry. Any idea how to activate the product and recover data from my existing Win XP Mode?

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:49 AM
  • SunnyM7,  

You should have started a new thread, XP Mode is funky so this is just a quick guess.

Load http://www.virtualbox.org/ create a new XP / Win7 VM once it is up shut it down and add a copy of the XP mode VHD as a second drive.

Fire it up, I think once you find the data you may need to take ownership of the data, get it off the drive.

All this is guess as I did not like the XP mode so we dumped it got retail XP Pro and use virtual box on the workstations and even used a centos 5 host for ten XP pro VM's

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:19 PM

smjain, can you tell me if you have made any progress yet?

I just tried to call Microsoft again. I spoke to the Customer Services this time. They told me "we can only provide support for Windows XP Professional if you have a Windows XP Professional CD or volume license". They said "Windows 7 and Windows XP are totally separate operating systems". I tried to explain but they did not understand. I said "this Windows XP is a virtual machine within Windows 7". They said "you will need to have a Windows XP Professional CD to install Windows XP." They are driving me crazy!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

Here's what I got from Microsoft:

"Windows 7 Business / Ultimate includes the right to run a copy of
    Windows XP in a virtual machine.

You can use any virtual machine software to do this.

That said - Windows XP Mode has been modified so that it cannot be run
    on physical hardware.  Virtualization vendors need to work with
    Microsoft directly to understand what they need to do to enable the XP
    mode image to work.

We (Microsoft) do not have plans to update Virtual PC 2007 to support
    the XP mode image."

Personally, I have not tried XP Mode again on that machine.  I will endeavor to do so tonight.

Monday, January 11, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hi,

Here's what I got from Microsoft:

"Windows 7 Business / Ultimate includes the right to run a copy of
    Windows XP in a virtual machine.

You can use any virtual machine software to do this.

That said - Windows XP Mode has been modified so that it cannot be run
    on physical hardware.  Virtualization vendors need to work with
    Microsoft directly to understand what they need to do to enable the XP
    mode image to work.

We (Microsoft) do not have plans to update Virtual PC 2007 to support
    the XP mode image."

Personally, I have not tried XP Mode again on that machine.  I will endeavor to do so tonight.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to contact MSFT for me. You've had more luck than I have!! The last sentence of the reply makes it appear as though they are saying that MSVPC doesn't support the image? It's strange because the image boots up fine, it is just a problem with activation. And yet they state "...includes the RIGHT to run a copy..."
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:33 PM
  • SunnyM7,  

You should have started a new thread, XP Mode is funky so this is just a quick guess.

Load http://www.virtualbox.org/  create a new XP / Win7 VM once it is up shut it down and add a copy of the XP mode VHD as a second drive.

Fire it up, I think once you find the data you may need to take ownership of the data, get it off the drive.

All this is guess as I did not like the XP mode so we dumped it got retail XP Pro and use virtual box on the workstations and even used a centos 5 host for ten XP pro VM's

Did you try to boot into safe mode?

Hi Bubbapcguy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I could load the existing VHD as a second drive in the current XP Mode and recover my data. The old XP mode does not go into safe mode (tried F8 way). As you have suggested, I should migrate to virtualbox or other VM manager so that it can survive base OS reinstall.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:40 AM
  • VMware Player 3.0 can run the XP Mode VM.  In the File Menu is an option to "Import Windows XP Mode VM".   This will only work on Windows 7 Professional and above. 

VMware Player has all of the capabilities of VPC and some signficant advantages.   It does not require VT (to run the 32-bit version of XP Mode) it supports multiple processors, includes drag and drop of files between Windows 7 and the VM, and VMware's desktop integration (Unity) works as well.

Monday, January 18, 2010 10:11 PM
  •   Getting XP Mode to run isn't the problem. You can do that in VPC 2007 or VirtualBox. The big test is can you activate the XP OS?

Bill
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:54 AM
  • @SunnyM7:
     If you just want to recover data from the VHD, here's how you can do it:

1. Click on Start->type "diskmgmt.msc" and right-click on the result and choose "Run as Administrator"
    2. Click on Action->Attach VHD
    3. Provide the path to the VHD and click OK
    4. Your VHD will appear as a new disk on your computer - copy the data from it to wherever you want
    5. Once you are done, right-click on "Disk x" in devmgmt.msc, where 'x' is the disk number that the VHD got attached as (this will typically be 1, unless you've attached some other storage devices like USB flash drives)
    6. Choose "Detach" in the right-click menu
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:07 AM
  • To put this thread back on topic, I did try to run XP Mode on VPC2007 last night and was not able to authenticate.  Unfortunately, it was a different computer than the first one I tried.

I didn't give the MS activation line a call though.  But, it seems that this should work.  The EULA doesn't mention anything about using Windows VPC, only a virtualization program.  I will try to give MS a call and see if I can activate.

Update: just to close things out, XPMode won't properly activate on VPC 2007.  I did follow up with MS and they said the same.  It's a no go.

• Edited by essjae Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:11 AM added info.
    Friday, January 22, 2010 6:26 PM
  • just learn or how to use gunuine OS so as to avoid headache...I suggest trial version a lot of free software on MSDN of even Technet
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:34 AM
  • how

how sure u are...the named key.txt

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:35 AM
  • Just in case anyone is still reading this, the eula that is provided with the installation package from the xp mode home page happens to mention what the user is to do in case there is a faulty installation? I would very much like to say that the lincense agreements serve both parts but who has the parience to go through all that? If you're running a small buisness the last thing you would want would be to be offered a solution to run programs that are in no way conceibed to work on windows 7 and then you run  into a problem with a software that is supposed to make windows 7 as user friendly as possible, and the solution is buying a new key? to replace the one that was provided with the program and apparently doesn´t work? No wonder mac is getting the field!

With all my best regards to everyone out there.

Friday, September 28, 2012 4:23 PM
  • XPMode will work with Windows VPC, but not Virtual PC 2007.  It's not a faulty installation.  You should use Windows Virtual PC or another 3rd party solution, but as I posted MS isn't adding XPMode support to Virtual PC 2007.
    Friday, September 28, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I tried this in a Win 10 Hiper-V XP machine & I was no longer prompted for activation. Thank goodness as the software I have only runs in XP & no other (tried).
    Thursday, May 5, 2016 9:32 PM
  • hey man ---if you don't mind what did you do to get it going on win10 with hyper

thanks man

Monday, April 30, 2018 2:09 AM
  • what did you do? I tried the WPAEvents regedit but it didn't work for me. It still required activation to log in. Thank you!
    Saturday, December 8, 2018 10:58 PM