none
Boot up problems in WIN 7 after cloning RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Win 7 with GPT partitioning. I have a 3TB SATA drive and a 4TB SATA drive. I run on one for awhile and then hook up the second drive and clone from Disk 0 to Disk 1. Then I disconnect Drive 0 and run on Drive 1 until I decide to do another clone. This is my method of backup.

The last time I cloned, I started experiencing a boot problem. In the past when I cloned from one disk to another, I could boot up to the new disk with no problem.  I could turn my PC on and walk away and do other things while it was booting up. However booting to Disk 1 now takes extra effort to do so. The boot-up is not seamless. I have to sit at my desk to follow through with the boot up.

When I try to boot up, it goes into a cycle where the boot page (with the F2, F10 option) keep coming up. I finally figured out that, if I select the F10 option and then cursor down to "INT EFI SHELL WDC WD40EZRZ-00WN90B" and then press "enter" that I could boot up and see my files. There are several old entries when I press F10, so I have to cursor through many entries in order to boot up.

At the present I am running on the 4TB drive (which was Disk 1).

However, if I go back and boot up on the 3TB drive (which was Disk 0), the boot up process is seamless. My guess is that there was a system hiccup during the clone which damaged the boot up file on the 4TB drive.

I have been running on the 4TB for several days and, due to file changes, do not want to try cloning from the 3TB to the 4TB again.

How can I eliminate all the old boot device entries on the 4TB drive so that the boot process will  be automatic?

Thanks for any and all help.

Saturday, April 2, 2016 4:30 PM

Answers

• Hi kshg47a

You are trying to eliminate all the old boots and set boot automatic from 4TB drive, right?

How did you clone it?

As what Rick Dee said, I think those boot entries are in the UEFI/BIOS, not on the HDD drive.

The BCD stores Windows entries called “Windows Boot Manager”, We could use” bcdedit /enum” command to verity it.

Also, we could use “msconfig” command in run dialogue box to show the startup items.

If those entries you mentioned are not listed there as well, they should in the BIOS/UEFI.

We need changed the boot order in UEFI/BIOS setting, choose boot from 4TB drive first.

We could contact to the manufacturer support for how to change the boot order.

If you have cloned it using 3rd party application , it is suggested to contact to the software support. they may have more solutions for you.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:58 AM

All replies

• All those selection options you have mentioned are in the UEFI/BIOS.  They are not on the HDD.

The option you should have as the default for booting should be the Windows Boot Manager which is for when Windows is installed on a GPT partition and using UEFI.

You would need to contact the Technical Support for you motherboard manufacturer to find out how to clear the UEFI/BIOS entries.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, April 2, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Thanks for the information.

I just figured since there are BCD and EFI editors available, that there should be a way to delete and/or sort device boot up options. When boot up on the 4TB drive and then have to press F10, I see several Boot Manager entries, CD Drive entries as well as old and no longer available hard drives listed as boot up options.

Also, as stated in my query, when I boot up on the original 3TB drive, the boot up is seamless. Therefore, I assumed that there had to be some editable file on the HD.

Monday, April 4, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi kshg47a

You are trying to eliminate all the old boots and set boot automatic from 4TB drive, right?

How did you clone it?

As what Rick Dee said, I think those boot entries are in the UEFI/BIOS, not on the HDD drive.

The BCD stores Windows entries called “Windows Boot Manager”, We could use” bcdedit /enum” command to verity it.

Also, we could use “msconfig” command in run dialogue box to show the startup items.

If those entries you mentioned are not listed there as well, they should in the BIOS/UEFI.

We need changed the boot order in UEFI/BIOS setting, choose boot from 4TB drive first.

We could contact to the manufacturer support for how to change the boot order.

If you have cloned it using 3rd party application , it is suggested to contact to the software support. they may have more solutions for you.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:58 AM
  • I was never able to find the solution to this problem. However, since my PC was so slow and several years old, I decided to purchase a new PC and forget about finding a solution.

I do appreciate the comments and suggestions. Thanks

kshg47a

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:51 PM