none
Network Printers disappear every time there is a Win 7 restart

Question

• I have one machine that whenever it is restarted, the network printers from a particular print server (A) disappear.  We have two print servers and the network printer from the other print server (B) is not affected.  This machine is running Win 7 Pro x64.  No error message is given.  The printers are able to be reinstalled just fine through Printers and Devices but when the machine is restarted again, they disappear.

I have run the Printing Troubleshooter but it does not fix the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, April 9, 2012 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please verify if the Print Spooler service will start automatically.

1. Click Start, type "services.msc" in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.
    2. In the right pane, double-click Print Spooler.
    3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.
    4. Restart the computer to check the result.

If the issue persists, please perform clean boot and disable security software, then add the printer again.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, April 16, 2012 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by JTAllen Monday, April 16, 2012 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please verify if the Print Spooler service will start automatically.

1. Click Start, type "services.msc" in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.
    2. In the right pane, double-click Print Spooler.
    3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.
    4. Restart the computer to check the result.

If the issue persists, please perform clean boot and disable security software, then add the printer again.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, April 16, 2012 3:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by JTAllen Monday, April 16, 2012 7:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:14 AM
  • My problem is similar and when my computer is automatically updated and it restarts or starts in the morning all of my printers are gone. After much hand wringing and head banging I discoverd that if I go to system restore and restore to the point right before the automatic update my printers return and I can manually install the updates without losing my printers. This is a weird problem as it is not consistent some time the automatic update works fine and my printers remain and operate as expected other times the printers are gone. For example the update for 4.11.12 installed automatically and printer swere there and printed. The update for 4.12.12 caused me to lose my printers and have to restore and reinstall the updates manually.
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Monday, April 16, 2012 3:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JTAllen Monday, April 16, 2012 7:36 PM
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hi Niki,

Thanks for the instructions.  I had to use the clean boot link you put above but it looks like that worked.  I have tried it for one of the profiles on the machine and it is fixed, now I just need to apply it to the others.  I will update if I run into any problems.

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:35 PM