none
Windows 7 dvd driver issues

Question

• hello

I upgraded my Sony vaio VGN-FW31M laptop from windows vista home premium (32 bit) to Windows 7 ulitmate (32 Bit), after a few days of all working i noticed an issue with my cd/dvd drive. For some reason it disappears, it even diappears from device manager. I have checked it in bios and it sees the hardware as ok, when i can see the drive i have used the windows tools to do diagnostics on the driver incase its faulty hardware (laptop is only 6 months old) and it says the drive is working fine. I have uninstalled the driver and when i reboot it the driver re-installs but the issue persists.

I have tried deleting the upperfilter and lowerfilter from regedit but its made no difference either. I found this info on the net, im at te end of the road now and im completely out of ideas. Can anyone help?

I dont believe this to be hardware either as it plays dvd,s for 5 minutes before disappearing again

Cheers

Antony
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Antony,

Please first scan the hardware changes to check the result:

1.     Please go to Start, type Device Manager in to the Search box and then press Enter.

2.     Right click on DVD/CD-ROM drives and then click "Scan for hardware changes".

Also, please run Windows Troubleshooter by the steps below:

1.     Go to Start, in the search box, type troubleshooter, and then press Enter.

2.     Click "Configure a device" under "Hardware and sound" section.

3.     If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

What is the result?

If the issue still exists, please test if the computer can boot from the Windows 7 DVD. You should change the boot order in BIOS. For the detailed steps, please refer to the motherboard user manual or contact the hardware manufacturer directly.

If the computer cannot boot from DVD, the issue should be related to the hardware. Please contact the hardware manufacturer to check the cable connection and DVD-ROM itself.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 18, 2009 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Ant993,

I have exactly the same problem as you and i have not found any solution yet.  What about you? Do you have new news about it? I am completely lost and desperate with this.
    Firstly I thought it could be a virus, but the antivirus program i have executed didn't found any viruses on it. In my case sometimes it appears ( I mean dvd) but suddenly it dissapears again when I introduce a DVD.

Cheers,

Javier
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Have you guys tried this yet?

This behavior can be caused by the incompatible third party filter drivers. Please follow the steps to remove filter drivers and reload the driver of the CD drive.

Delete filter driver
    =====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "regedit" and press Enter. 
    2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click on "Class", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

4. Highlight this key, on the right pane, check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

After deleting filter drivers, please reload the drivers.

Reinstall driver
    =====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".
    2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".
    3. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.
    4. Restart the computer.

The drivers will be loaded automatically

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hi Antony,

Please first scan the hardware changes to check the result:

1.     Please go to Start, type Device Manager in to the Search box and then press Enter.

2.     Right click on DVD/CD-ROM drives and then click "Scan for hardware changes".

Also, please run Windows Troubleshooter by the steps below:

1.     Go to Start, in the search box, type troubleshooter, and then press Enter.

2.     Click "Configure a device" under "Hardware and sound" section.

3.     If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

What is the result?

If the issue still exists, please test if the computer can boot from the Windows 7 DVD. You should change the boot order in BIOS. For the detailed steps, please refer to the motherboard user manual or contact the hardware manufacturer directly.

If the computer cannot boot from DVD, the issue should be related to the hardware. Please contact the hardware manufacturer to check the cable connection and DVD-ROM itself.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, December 18, 2009 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Hi Antony,

I am in the same situation as you are. I have upgraded my Vaio VGN-FW31M (vista home premium 32Bit) to Windows 7 home premium (32bits) with the packaging provided by sony vaio and I have the same issue. In my case, when I start windows, the drive appears for a moment but disappears some minutes after without a reasonable explanation (At that time, I hear how the drive starts to operate and the notebook will get stuck for a while until the drive disappears).

I am able to reproduce some minutes of DVD before the unit stops the reproduction and disappears.

I have tried to resolve it applying the advices provide by CDOBBS and LINDA YAN and it doesn´t work. In the case of LINDA advice, the drive appears again but disappears shortly after.

I do not know what to do. Have you managed to fix it?

Any new idea to solve it?

Manuel

Saturday, December 19, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi, I had this problem recently with this model as well.

Tried over and over to fix it and eventually rang vaio support.

After 45 minutes talking to them, there was still no luck besides from go to the vaio support site.

The link below should take you directly to the right page for this model.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FW31M&os=10

Under the windows 7 tab i started looking for any drivers that made sense that i needed.

Intel Sata driver registry patch   -  080619a 

Look for this name and it is the fix for the problem I guarantee, 3 weeks on any my vaio is running so smoothly with the DVD/Bluray drive.

Make sure to get the right driver (32 bit/64 bit)

It actually says on its page

What does it fix?
    After Windows 7 upgrade, a registry value is cleared, which causes the Optical Disc Drive not to be detected.

So consider this solved and be happy using your DVD drive again.

I think when you get the upgrade CD it should say to go to Vaio and download the right drivers.

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:05 PM